Expert is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-2007, 02:11 AM   #2
the_what
Bolo Punch KO
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Like how Hatton fights?

I love it. Him and Cotto look to inflict pain on their opponents. Both try to rough you anyway they can. Cotto by puching at arms and shoulders. Hatton by bumrushing you and using his elbows as weapons on teh inside.

Call me sadistic but I love watching both of them bring the pain.
the_what is offline  Top
Old 06-24-2007, 02:28 AM   #3
markbrooklyn
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Hatton grabs too much and comes in with his head, he also holds and hits alot and NEVER gets warned for it for some reason.. I don't like the way he fights..
markbrooklyn is offline  Top
Old 06-24-2007, 02:29 AM   #4
cuchulain
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_what
I love it. Him and Cotto look to inflict pain on their opponents. Both try to rough you anyway they can. Cotto by puching at arms and shoulders. Hatton by bumrushing you and using his elbows as weapons on teh inside.

Call me sadistic but I love watching both of them bring the pain.
Please don't mention Hatton in the same sentence as Cotto.

I didn't think the clinching and grabbing could get any worse after watching John Ruiz for years. Then along came Ricky. He's a nice young man, a Man city supporter I'm told (such a refreshing change from all the hype of United), the kind of bloke you could enjoy a pint and a laugh with. Personable, earnest andr easonably modest.

But alas, I don't see that much boxing skill in the lad. Throw one or two punches and then grab. Repeat until the round ends. Next round, same format. I admit I've only seen him fight five times and the style works for him but he's not entertaining to watch and has no flair for the sport at all.

He has strength and loads of heart. He doesn't back up. He's reasonably fast and moves well.

Against that, he was nearly KO'd by Collazo in a fight that was at best a draw and probably should have been a loss for Ricky.

He got home crowd and home ref advantage against a 35 year old Tszyu who I believe would have prevailed with a more skilled referee.

And tonight he caught an ageing, past-his-best lightweight with the liver shot. He looked set to win anyway but it was an impressive stop.

( Someone should land a shot like that on Max Kellerman, the nitwit commentator who suggested post-fight that Castillo took a dive, or at least could have gotten up.)

But back to the question of the thread: No, I don't like the way Ricky fights. I think he could benefit from some serious pugilistic instruction to go along with his positive attributes. But then again, if it works for him...
cuchulain is offline  Top
Old 06-24-2007, 02:32 AM   #5
Expert
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuchulain
Please don't mention Hatton in the same sentence as Cotto.

I didn't think the clinching and grabbing could get any worse after watching John Ruiz for years. Then along came Ricky. He's a nice young man, a Man city supporter I'm told (such a refreshing change from all the hype of United), the kind of bloke you could enjoy a pint and a laugh with. Personable, earnest andr easonably modest.

But alas, I don't see that much boxing skill in the lad. Throw one or two punches and then grab. Repeat until the round ends. Next round, same format. I admit I've only seen him fight five times and the style works for him but he's not entertaining to watch and has no flair for the sport at all.

He has strength and loads of heart. He doesn't back up. He's reasonably fast and moves well.

Against that, he was nearly KO'd by Collazo in a fight that was at best a draw and probably should have been a loss for Ricky.

He got home crowd and home ref advantage against a 35 year old Tszyu who I believe would have prevailed with a more skilled referee.

And tonight he caught an ageing, past-his-best lightweight with the liver shot. He looked set to win anyway but it was an impressive stop.

( Someone should land a shot like that on Max Kellerman, the nitwit commentator who suggested post-fight that Castillo took a dive, or at least could have gotten up.)

But back to the question of the thread: No, I don't like the way Ricky fights. I think he could benefit from some serious pugilistic instruction to go along with his positive attributes. But then again, if it works for him...
yes, Hatton fights are very boring. I think it was the last time I watched 1 of his.
Expert is offline  Top
Old 06-24-2007, 02:35 AM   #6
planetzion
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expert
yes, Hatton fights are very boring. I think it was the last time I watched 1 of his.

**** yr a dip shit he ko'd him with a body shot...how is that boring i agree he grapples too much for me too but boring no....you must have your tounge up maywethers ass crack
planetzion is offline  Top
Old 06-24-2007, 02:38 AM   #7
audio101
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Castillo was holding Hatton's arms like crazy.
audio101 is offline  Top
Old 06-24-2007, 02:43 AM   #8
JoeyP
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1090

I've said in other thread and I'll say in this one--Hatton is as bad if not worse than Ruiz. The kid's got power, good hands and feet, and seems to be very likeable and down to earth. Why does he act like Ruiz's little brother? Does Ruiz train Hatton? Has Hatton and his team watch Ruiz film and decided, "that's the best fighting style in the world--we'll use that!" I'll root against Hatton unless he fights PBF-then it's GO HUGGY BEAR HATTON!!!!

JoeyP
JoeyP is offline  Top
Old 06-24-2007, 03:25 AM   #9
spiderricco
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyP
I've said in other thread and I'll say in this one--Hatton is as bad if not worse than Ruiz. The kid's got power, good hands and feet, and seems to be very likeable and down to earth. Why does he act like Ruiz's little brother? Does Ruiz train Hatton? Has Hatton and his team watch Ruiz film and decided, "that's the best fighting style in the world--we'll use that!" I'll root against Hatton unless he fights PBF-then it's GO HUGGY BEAR HATTON!!!!

JoeyP
Hatton has a long way to go before he can be compared to the legendary Quietman.
spiderricco is offline  Top
Old 06-24-2007, 03:27 AM   #10
El Bombasto
Ask yo momma
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbrooklyn
Hatton grabs too much and comes in with his head, he also holds and hits alot and NEVER gets warned for it for some reason.. I don't like the way he fights..
El Bombasto is offline  Top
Old 06-24-2007, 03:45 AM   #11
bhwbj
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Hatton is not boring, but he's nowhere near as exciting AS HE THINKS HE IS. Hatton is a headbutting, rabitpunching, hug-artist **BUT** he throws a lot of powerpunches at sets a fast pace. There is good and bad in his style.
bhwbj is offline  Top
Old 06-24-2007, 03:51 AM   #12
knockout
Make my day
ESB Addict

Well thats how he fights you just gotta like him or hate him.It seems he does well doing that style.
knockout is offline  Top
Old 06-24-2007, 03:54 AM   #13
Clearly Cool
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Personally, despite being a fan he pisses me off with the grapling. He has the speed and power to do great things but his wrestling makes for ugly fights. Even though they are ugly they are still entertaining and enjoyable just not as good as they could be.
Clearly Cool is offline  Top
Old 06-24-2007, 05:12 AM   #14
sean
pale peice of pig`s ear
ESB Addict

reading the comments it is clear that hatton should return to england, fight in front of british crowds on british prime time tv .

this fight was not even shown on uk tv but on an irish sattelitte station, went out in the early hours of a sunday morning and got no exposure in europe.

not good for british boxing when one of its most high profile fighters gets no air time.

for 6 years all you heard was ricky hatton would be beaten by the first top 20 american he fought/then top 10/then top 5/then he cuts and is china chinned/then if he ever left the uk/then tzsyu will anniahlate him/

nothing wrong with americans liking there own fighters but bias and blinkered approach to european fighters should mean european fighters in the main should remain just that.

fighting in europe.
sean is offline  Top
Old 06-24-2007, 05:20 AM   #15
Decebal
Lucian Bute
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean
reading the comments it is clear that hatton should return to england, fight in front of british crowds on british prime time tv .

this fight was not even shown on uk tv but on an irish sattelitte station, went out in the early hours of a sunday morning and got no exposure in europe.

not good for british boxing when one of its most high profile fighters gets no air time.

for 6 years all you heard was ricky hatton would be beaten by the first top 20 american he fought/then top 10/then top 5/then he cuts and is china chinned/then if he ever left the uk/then tzsyu will anniahlate him/

nothing wrong with americans liking there own fighters but bias and blinkered approach to european fighters should mean european fighters in the main should remain just that.

fighting in europe.
as much as I'd like to agree with your conclusion, because I do agree with your argument, I cannot...Our top fighters need recognition in America at the highest level...things haven't changed yet...America is still the place. When two European fight, however, like JC and MK, then the fight should be in Europe, probably, because the Americans won't care about it much anyway...and it would be good for boxing on the Old Continent...
Decebal is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum