Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 09-08-2007, 09:47 PM   #1
stillafan
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000
Default besides MAB,what other(prime) fighter switched styles successfully??

When i think of a fighter that completely switched his style during his prime and had Success i think of Marco Anotonio Barrera......his previous style was a fan pleasing one , a take no prisoners in your face style.....then all of a sudden for the NAz fight he turned into a textbook technician, popping jabs, countering, timing opponnets, still abusing his opponents bodies with left hooks......

a lot of fighters change their style a bit, when they age....they are a step slower, loose their refelexes....

what other fighters besides MAB changed their style during their prime ot have success???

YOUR THOUGHTS???
stillafan is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-2007, 09:48 PM   #2
kg0208
Champion
East Side Guru

Default Re: besides MAB,what other(prime) fighter switched styles successfully??

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillafan
When i think of a fighter that completely switched his style during his prime and had Success i think of Marco Anotonio Barrera......his previous style was a fan pleasing one , a take no prisoners in your face style.....then all of a sudden for the NAz fight he turned into a textbook technician, popping jabs, countering, timing opponnets, still abusing his opponents bodies with left hooks......

a lot of fighters change their style a bit, when they age....they are a step slower, loose their refelexes....

what other fighters besides MAB changed their style during their prime ot have success???

YOUR THOUGHTS???
IMO MAB changed his style because he WASN'T in his prime anymore. He adapted the same way Hopkins did once he realized the subtle changes in his ability.
kg0208 is offline  Top
Old 09-08-2007, 10:05 PM   #3
splatter69
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Default Re: besides MAB,what other(prime) fighter switched styles successfully??

Macho Camacho I imagine
splatter69 is offline  Top
Old 09-08-2007, 10:11 PM   #4
Illmatic
Belt holder
ESB Addict

John Ruiz
Illmatic is offline  Top
Old 09-08-2007, 10:13 PM   #5
Oscar de la Roa
I'm THE lightweight champ
ESB Senior Member

so far kermit cintron, dlh when started using mayweather`s techniques such as shoulder roll
Oscar de la Roa is offline  Top
Old 09-08-2007, 10:18 PM   #6
sues2nd
Fading into Bolivian...
ESB Addict

Hopkins....

Was a swarming, high output, KO artist. TOTALLY reinvented his style. Is now a defensive master/fantastic counter puncher. You cant GO to further extremes.
sues2nd is offline  Top
Old 09-08-2007, 10:27 PM   #7
Olander
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

I agree on Hopkins.

Also JMM to some degree. The last several years he's become much more aggressive and willing to mix it up, as opposed to relying mostly on counterpunching. Not a total change of style, but it's something I've noticed.
Olander is offline  Top
Old 09-08-2007, 10:48 PM   #8
Jose FM
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Erik Morales versus Pac-Man.
Jose FM is offline  Top
Old 09-08-2007, 11:04 PM   #9
Illmatic
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose FM
Erik Morales versus Pac-Man.
How? Morales has always had the same style
Illmatic is offline  Top
Old 09-08-2007, 11:25 PM   #10
kukoy
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillafan

YOUR THOUGHTS???

Most of the posters here believe in the myth "Styles Makes Fight". It is true to some degree but blows out of proportion most of the time. This is the easiest excuse a fighter and mostly trainers use as an excuse whenever a fighter loses.

I only agree on this on mostly new fighters. But for seasoned fighters who loses, don't even give this lame excuse. We are talking here about professional boxers. They are so called professionals. They usually have three to four months to study and learn their opponents. And that should give them enough time to adjust to any style. If you can not do that and think you'll lose otherwise, don't even take the fight. Save yourself some embarassment and give out any excuses especially this one. A boxer, being a professional, should know when to swtich his style to adapt to his opponent. That's part of his job as a boxer. His job is to win, and do almost whatever just to win. And for trainers who always give out this excuse, YOU'RE FIRED BECAUSE YOU'RE JUST INCOMPETENT.
kukoy is offline  Top
Old 09-09-2007, 12:21 AM   #11
brooklyn1550
Roberto Duran
East Side VIP

B-Hop immediately comes to mind
brooklyn1550 is offline  Top
Old 09-09-2007, 03:20 AM   #12
Thread Stealer
P4P King
East Side VIP

Bernard Hopkins
Matthew Saad Muhammad

Marvin Hagler was a little past his prime, but close enough, and fought way more aggressively and threw caution to the win against Thomas Hearns, out of necessity because of Tommy's range and great outside skills.
Thread Stealer is offline  Top
Old 09-09-2007, 06:54 AM   #13
Deslizer
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Winky Wright, he fights a lot different style than at his first title fight against Vasquez
Deslizer is offline  Top
Old 09-09-2007, 11:50 AM   #14
koko of phil
Ring of Fire Resident
ESB Senior Member

Rafa Marquez I think, I'm not sure if he changed his style though but he did well.
koko of phil is offline  Top
Old 09-09-2007, 11:55 AM   #15
BxN
Paranoid Android
ESB Jr Member

When Floyd started to hurt his hands, he started to fight more defensively.

Arturo Gatti.

Last edited by Irish; 06-09-2006 at 01:26 AM.
BxN is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum