Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 09-09-2007, 03:14 AM   #1
nrgetic
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Taylor vs Pavlik - who wins and why?

Pavlik by Points
  • Taylor drops his left hand and this will provide openings for Pavlik and this might resonate in the minds of the judges when they score rounds. Taylor gave away a number of rounds against Winy Wright due to his stance (Taylor had the left hand up in the Hopkins fight and Steward probably will stress to keep it up given Pavlikís reach advantage)
  • Taylor doesn't show too much punch variety. Taylor throws a lot of straight shots and doesn't mix his offense to much. Pavlik might start to get Taylorís rhythm
  • Pavlik has a compact aggressive and economical style that is pleasing to watch, he looks to be in control, his reach will potentially make it difficult for Taylor to get inside whereas Pavlik could score rounds by fighting on the inside
  • If Pavlik matches Taylorís footwork Pavlik could deny Taylor scoring opportunities and this could become an easy and safe fight for Pavlik scoring on the outside with straight jabs and right crosses

Pavlik by Stoppage
  • Pavlik is a very straight hard puncher and he can sustain a solid work rate.
  • Taylor is prone to swelling and he could easily get hit enough for a late stoppage
  • Pavlik has a tough chin and when it comes done to trading he may overwhelm Taylor
  • When Taylor throws the jab he drops it to his waist after his has thrown it and this could expose him to a counterpunch right hand from Pavlik
  • Taylor resorted to hanging on the ropes against Winky Wright and he got hammered every time he did it, if he does this against Pavlik he is getting KOed
  • Taylor is embarrassed by previous performances Ė he may take imprudent risks and push the action and get KOed
  • Pavlik has serious KO power and the temperament to capitalise. Pavlik is patient and methodical to break Taylor down and put him face first into the canvas

Taylor by Points
  • Taylor has a significant speed (hands and feet) advantage over Pavlik
  • Taylor is not a body puncher so Pavlik may remain mobile enough to go 12 rounds
  • Taylor is more athletic and a better mover than Pavlik so he could rack up rounds by effective aggression on the inside
  • Taylor is a more skillful fighter than Pavlik so he can fight for a points win
o Very early on the movement of Beaupierre made it difficult for Pavlikís offense, Taylor will potentially be mobile for the entirety of the fight
o Zertuche was very flat footed whereas Taylor is not and the opportunities that Pavlik exploited against Zertuche will not be available against Taylor. Pavlik has won a lot of fights because of the weaknesses that Taylor does not have, the past Pavlik performances might not be that applicable in this fight.

Taylor by Stoppage
  • Taylor will beat Pavlik to the punch due to his superior hand speed and KO him
  • Pavlik was hit a lot against Zertuche and Taylor punches harder and if Pavlik gave him as many opportunities as Zertuche got then Pavlik is getting KOed
  • Pavlik has a habit of bouncing in one spot inside the kill zone and Taylorís footwork and hand speed will capitalise
  • Taylor is embarrassed by previous performances Ė he will be more aggressive in this fight and he will fight on the inside
  • Pavlik leaves his chin up waiting to be hit, Taylor will land sooner or later
  • Pavlik has been untested on the back foot, if Taylor gets on top then Pavlik may fold
Taylor by KO is my tip but the way the odds are at the moment I would have to bet Pavlik by KO because that is where the value is

Any other perspectives or learnings from other fights?
nrgetic is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-2007, 03:32 AM   #2
markbrooklyn
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Default Re: Taylor vs Pavlik - who wins and why?

Taylor by KO... Taylor hasnt looked good because he's been in there against Southpaws. The last right hand fighter he fought was Hopkins and that was years ago. Taylor is too fast for Pavlik and has a great jab. Pavlik will find out that Miranda is no Jermain Taylor.
markbrooklyn is offline  Top
Old 09-09-2007, 03:36 AM   #3
Boinko
Contender
ESB Senior Member

This fight will go the distance, and Taylor will win.

Pavlik fans have been creaming their jeans ever since Kelly's victory over Miranda, but Taylor is a much smarter fighter.

I expect Kelly to be game, but he will be overwhelmed by Taylor's boxing skills.

Taylor UD.

p.s. Expect some fans to scream "HBO conspiracy!!! Pavlik was robbed!!!"
Boinko is offline  Top
Old 09-09-2007, 03:41 AM   #4
lillarry
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1646

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrgetic
Pavlik by Points
  • Taylor drops his left hand and this will provide openings for Pavlik and this might resonate in the minds of the judges when they score rounds. Taylor gave away a number of rounds against Winy Wright due to his stance (Taylor had the left hand up in the Hopkins fight and Steward probably will stress to keep it up given Pavlikís reach advantage)
  • Taylor doesn't show too much punch variety. Taylor throws a lot of straight shots and doesn't mix his offense to much. Pavlik might start to get Taylorís rhythm
  • Pavlik has a compact aggressive and economical style that is pleasing to watch, he looks to be in control, his reach will potentially make it difficult for Taylor to get inside whereas Pavlik could score rounds by fighting on the inside
  • If Pavlik matches Taylorís footwork Pavlik could deny Taylor scoring opportunities and this could become an easy and safe fight for Pavlik scoring on the outside with straight jabs and right crosses

Pavlik by Stoppage
  • Pavlik is a very straight hard puncher and he can sustain a solid work rate.
  • Taylor is prone to swelling and he could easily get hit enough for a late stoppage
  • Pavlik has a tough chin and when it comes done to trading he may overwhelm Taylor
  • When Taylor throws the jab he drops it to his waist after his has thrown it and this could expose him to a counterpunch right hand from Pavlik
  • Taylor resorted to hanging on the ropes against Winky Wright and he got hammered every time he did it, if he does this against Pavlik he is getting KOed
  • Taylor is embarrassed by previous performances Ė he may take imprudent risks and push the action and get KOed
  • Pavlik has serious KO power and the temperament to capitalise. Pavlik is patient and methodical to break Taylor down and put him face first into the canvas

Taylor by Points
  • Taylor has a significant speed (hands and feet) advantage over Pavlik
  • Taylor is not a body puncher so Pavlik may remain mobile enough to go 12 rounds
  • Taylor is more athletic and a better mover than Pavlik so he could rack up rounds by effective aggression on the inside
  • Taylor is a more skillful fighter than Pavlik so he can fight for a points win
o Very early on the movement of Beaupierre made it difficult for Pavlikís offense, Taylor will potentially be mobile for the entirety of the fight
o Zertuche was very flat footed whereas Taylor is not and the opportunities that Pavlik exploited against Zertuche will not be available against Taylor. Pavlik has won a lot of fights because of the weaknesses that Taylor does not have, the past Pavlik performances might not be that applicable in this fight.

Taylor by Stoppage
  • Taylor will beat Pavlik to the punch due to his superior hand speed and KO him
  • Pavlik was hit a lot against Zertuche and Taylor punches harder and if Pavlik gave him as many opportunities as Zertuche got then Pavlik is getting KOed
  • Pavlik has a habit of bouncing in one spot inside the kill zone and Taylorís footwork and hand speed will capitalise
  • Taylor is embarrassed by previous performances Ė he will be more aggressive in this fight and he will fight on the inside
  • Pavlik leaves his chin up waiting to be hit, Taylor will land sooner or later
  • Pavlik has been untested on the back foot, if Taylor gets on top then Pavlik may fold
Taylor by KO is my tip but the way the odds are at the moment I would have to bet Pavlik by KO because that is where the value is

Any other perspectives or learnings from other fights?

Good Analysis. How about making a poll?
lillarry is offline  Top
Old 09-09-2007, 04:36 AM   #5
nrgetic
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillarry
Good Analysis. How about making a poll?
I don't know how to make a poll, how does one do that I have always wondered?
nrgetic is offline  Top
Old 09-09-2007, 05:59 AM   #6
Toney
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

Good post ngetic!!!

I am strongly picking Jermain Taylor. I think the he is far more skílled boxer and I do belive that his power is underrated. I can see Taylor outboxing Pavlik and if they exchance early I still think that Taylor will win it. He is the better man.

But I also strongly belived that Miranda would stop Pavlik. So you never know...
Toney is offline  Top
Old 09-09-2007, 12:52 PM   #7
brooklyn1550
Roberto Duran
East Side VIP

Kelly Pavlik TKO7 Jermain Taylor

Kelly Pavlik is technically more solid than Jermain Taylor. He throws the straighter punches, is more compact, holds his hands up higher, and does not telegraph them as much. Jermain Taylor, however, is the much better athlete who has the better reflexes, hand speed, and foot speed. Pavlik has the higher workrate and is always staying busy. Pavlik is the smarter fighter and always seems to stick to a perfect gameplan and I expect him to this time. I see Pavlik putting pressure on Taylor early, cutting off the ring, and going to the body. When Pavlik gets Taylor into a corner or against the ropes, he will tee off as Wright did. Taylor is like a fish out of water when he is against the ropes. Taylor must use his jab and move away from Pavlik's right hand. If he is aggressive, he will get knocked out earlier than my prediction of 7. The fact that Taylor holds his left hand low spells disaster. Pavlik will find him with a huge right hand sooner or later and when he does, Taylor is going to feel it. People can't bank on Taylor boxing like Tommy Hearns or James Toney. He is most effective when he uses his jab and is the aggressor - not when he fights off of the back foot. Recently, Pavlik just keeps getting better and better while Taylor, every fight, looks more beatable. All of this, to me, spells Pavlik by knockout. Nothing against Jermain Taylor because I respect him as a champion due to his willingness to fight the very best, but I believe he will move up to super middleweight after this fight with a record of 27-1-1 (17).
brooklyn1550 is offline  Top
Old 09-09-2007, 12:54 PM   #8
TroubleLurks
**** spell check
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boinko
This fight will go the distance, and Taylor will win.

Pavlik fans have been creaming their jeans ever since Kelly's victory over Miranda, but Taylor is a much smarter fighter.

I expect Kelly to be game, but he will be overwhelmed by Taylor's boxing skills.

Taylor UD.

p.s. Expect some fans to scream "HBO conspiracy!!! Pavlik was robbed!!!"
+1

Last edited by madjabber; 06-09-2006 at 03:04 AM.
TroubleLurks is offline  Top
Old 09-09-2007, 06:37 PM   #9
nrgetic
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyn1550
Kelly Pavlik TKO7 Jermain Taylor

Kelly Pavlik is technically more solid than Jermain Taylor. He throws the straighter punches, is more compact, holds his hands up higher, and does not telegraph them as much. Jermain Taylor, however, is the much better athlete who has the better reflexes, hand speed, and foot speed. Pavlik has the higher workrate and is always staying busy. Pavlik is the smarter fighter and always seems to stick to a perfect gameplan and I expect him to this time. I see Pavlik putting pressure on Taylor early, cutting off the ring, and going to the body. When Pavlik gets Taylor into a corner or against the ropes, he will tee off as Wright did. Taylor is like a fish out of water when he is against the ropes. Taylor must use his jab and move away from Pavlik's right hand. If he is aggressive, he will get knocked out earlier than my prediction of 7. The fact that Taylor holds his left hand low spells disaster. Pavlik will find him with a huge right hand sooner or later and when he does, Taylor is going to feel it. People can't bank on Taylor boxing like Tommy Hearns or James Toney. He is most effective when he uses his jab and is the aggressor - not when he fights off of the back foot. Recently, Pavlik just keeps getting better and better while Taylor, every fight, looks more beatable. All of this, to me, spells Pavlik by knockout. Nothing against Jermain Taylor because I respect him as a champion due to his willingness to fight the very best, but I believe he will move up to super middleweight after this fight with a record of 27-1-1 (17).
These are the two key points, Taylors low left hand has sent me spare in the past! I am figuring during training camp Emanuel Steward had superglued his left to his cheek because if he pulls that shit against Pavlik you are dead right - TAYLOR IS GETTING KOed for sure!
nrgetic is offline  Top
Old 09-09-2007, 06:45 PM   #10
El Bombasto
Ask yo momma
ESB Addict

taylor has the reputation, experience, and is one of hbo's darlings. unless pavlik can win convincingly (stoppage or wide margin ud) taylor will win by decision.
El Bombasto is offline  Top
Old 09-09-2007, 06:53 PM   #11
Imperial1
P4P King
East Side VIP

I am picking JT ..What I'm curios to see is which one of the 2 establishes the jab first ?
Imperial1 is online now  Top
Old 09-09-2007, 06:57 PM   #12
nezy37
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 943

I like Taylor be decision for the reasons listed, primarily his jab. Pavliks chin is too good to get KOed IMO
nezy37 is offline  Top
Old 09-09-2007, 10:16 PM   #13
rodney
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Easy fight for Pavlic.
Taylor not busy enough, doesnt want to mix it up, and you can even say lazy.
Pavelic wants to fight, comes to fight and is very busy.
If Taylor doesnt get stopped, then he will look very bad trying to survive 12 rounds.
Good riddens to somebody who calls themselves a fighter.
rodney is offline  Top
Old 09-09-2007, 10:19 PM   #14
Zakman
ESB's Chinchecker
East Side VIP

vCash: 588

Pavlik is going to win, and by impressive early rounds KO. There is a REASON Taylor's been taking on light-hitters from the low weights ever since Hopkins rocked him. Pavlik is going to show what many of us have thought for some time - Taylor can't take a middleweight punch.
Zakman is offline  Top
Old 09-09-2007, 10:21 PM   #15
Boinko
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdp000109
Because its impossible to win a decision over an HBO darling
Actually, I think Pavlik could easily fit the role as an HBO darling just as well. He's young, strong, and looks like a tough guy all around.
If there truly are forces at work behind the scenes at HBO who are protecting Taylor as their meal ticket, I'm sure they'd be just as happy to let Pavlik take over that role.
I'm not acknowledging something like that is happening at HBO - I think it's pretty unlikely. But, if I may play conspiracy theorist for a moment, I wouldn't expect Taylor to have his usual HBO advantage in this fight.
Boinko is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum