boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 07-27-2009, 10:45 AM   #16
Rourke
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Muhammad Ali " Jack Dempsey Is A Joke " ?

I don't think that was offensive, it's his opinion. I think he was obviously trying to make some counter points against Nat Fleischer who wouldn't even rank him and had Jack Dempsey #1 all-time... Speed and power I don't know, but in every other aspect Ali's got Dempsey's number.
Rourke is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-2009, 12:36 PM   #17
PbP Bacon
ALL TIME FAT
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock0052 View Post
How generous of him

And to answer your question, absolutely. Imagine if the Klitschkos or Lennox Lewis decided to point out Ali's flaws and use that to call him a joke in an interview 10 years from now- they've got every right to say it, but I've also got every right to call it a **** move to call a past HW great a joke. It's a matter of respect.

I simply prefer my trash talking fighters to stick to ragging on guys they can actually prove it against.

I agree that Ali was unfair with Dempsey. Dissing a retired fighters is never nice

However, it is worth noting that it Ali is not lying when he says that he could defeat Dempsey. Ali was a *****, but he was an honest *****

Sure the Klitschkos could trash talk former fighters, but who would take them seriously?. Ali could talk the talk, because he could walk the walk.
PbP Bacon is offline  Top
Old 07-27-2009, 12:57 PM   #18
fists of fury
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 137

On paper. the Ali v Frazier bouts were mismatches too. Ali held nearly every conceivable advantage, yet all three fights were close and Frazier won one convincingly.

Great fighters are worth more than the sum of their parts.
fists of fury is offline  Top
Old 07-27-2009, 02:06 PM   #19
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
How generous of him

And to answer your question, absolutely. Imagine if the Klitschkos or Lennox Lewis decided to point out Ali's flaws and use that to call him a joke in an interview 10 years from now- they've got every right to say it, but I've also got every right to call it a **** move to call a past HW great a joke. It's a matter of respect.

I simply prefer my trash talking fighters to stick to ragging on guys they can actually prove it against.
So its ok for Classic Posters to ****yse past fighters but not the HW GOAT?
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 07-27-2009, 02:25 PM   #20
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Ali would stop Dempsey after outboxing him in every round. In CLAY'S era I see Dempsey being no better than a Cleveland Williams.

GREAT for his time; Boxing advanced quite a bit in those few decades IMO
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 07-27-2009, 02:42 PM   #21
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Ali has made similar disrespectful claims about Joe Louis and other champs who he describes as crude and limited. But, in all reality I do think that Ali would beat Dempsey convincingly. He had everything from size, speed, chin, and overall ring generalship over Dempsey. His chin was well tested against the likes of Foreman, Frazier, Shavers and Liston.. His ability to deal with high pressure swarmers with a great work rate was confirmed against Joe Frazier. His stamina over 15 rounds was proven on a multitude of occasions and his comp was infinately better.
mr. magoo is offline  Top
Old 07-27-2009, 02:53 PM   #22
spittle8
Dropping Fisticuffs
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1404

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleaman View Post
Ali would stop Dempsey after outboxing him in every round. In CLAY'S era I see Dempsey being no better than a Cleveland Williams.

GREAT for his time; Boxing advanced quite a bit in those few decades IMO
Cleveland Williams was dead in the water, Dempsey was a live-wire and would be all over that version of Ali. To be honest, that version of Ali might be more vulnerable than later versions as I feel he was open to taking a big shot to the head. With Dempsey in the ring, this would mean a knockdown or being stunned, which could lead to a stoppage. But to get there, Dempsey takes a lot of punches coming in.

Prime Ali probably outboxes and possibly stops Dempsey. FotC Ali loses IMO. Frazier beat him, I think Dempsey does as well. Dempsey isn't quite as ferocious a pressure fighter as Frazier, but he's a superior puncher and more clinical in that regard. He also has better two-fisted power and superior handspeed, not to mention vastly superior footwork and being a much greater athlete. Could be very interesting.
spittle8 is offline  Top
Old 07-27-2009, 03:03 PM   #23
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittle8 View Post
Cleveland Williams was dead in the water, Dempsey was a live-wire and would be all over that version of Ali. To be honest, that version of Ali might be more vulnerable than later versions as I feel he was open to taking a big shot to the head. With Dempsey in the ring, this would mean a knockdown or being stunned, which could lead to a stoppage. But to get there, Dempsey takes a lot of punches coming in.

Prime Ali probably outboxes and possibly stops Dempsey. FotC Ali loses IMO. Frazier beat him, I think Dempsey does as well. Dempsey isn't quite as ferocious a pressure fighter as Frazier, but he's a superior puncher and more clinical in that regard. He also has better two-fisted power and superior handspeed, not to mention vastly superior footwork and being a much greater athlete. Could be very interesting.
I'm not saying AT ALL that they have similar styles.

I will ALSO CONCEDE that Williams was way past prime by then and probably not that great during his prime.

It was a bad comparison.

But in terms of what he was and what I have seen him do I think Dempsey, ALTHOUGH A PIONEER (so don't think I'm a hater) was wel behind. His toughness and two-fisted assault would get him some places; but into a competitive fight with THE GOAT??!?!? No. Not IN MY OPINION.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 07-27-2009, 03:42 PM   #24
ChrisPontius
March 8th, 1971
East Side Guru

vCash: 238

Quote:
Frankly, that's the kind of thing I hated about Ali. Talking **** about guys fighting in your own era is one thing, but there's no sense and no class in calling out anybody whose been retired that long and paid their dues to the sport- champion or not. **** move if I ever saw one. It's a fight Ali should win, but if he took that kind of attitude going into a fight with Dempsey, he'd be in for a brutal revelation.

I think it was a re-action to the fact that so many people say he would lose to x and y, without actually having seen those. He was only stating his opinion which he has a right to.
ChrisPontius is offline  Top
Old 07-27-2009, 03:59 PM   #25
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

People tend to deify Ali unlike any other fighter. I am not saying he was not a great, great HW (I have him at #2) but pretty close to his prime he was quite beatable. Little Joe Frazier swarmed much like Little Jack Dempsey and landed the left hook with impunity. The very best version of Dempsey could hope to do something similar.

I know some will contend Ali was better in 65-67 but there is no way of knowing this because, with perhaps only the exception of Patterson, he fought absolute scrubs. Terrell never proved anything, Williams was absolutely shot (literally) and not that good to begin with, Foley wasn't far behind Williams in that department, London, Cooper and Midlin'burger were journeyman fighters on their best days.

I say Jack- on his best day- has a 30% chance of scoring the upset here.
Seamus is online now  Top
Old 07-27-2009, 04:20 PM   #26
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus View Post
People tend to deify Ali unlike any other fighter. I am not saying he was not a great, great HW (I have him at #2) but pretty close to his prime he was quite beatable. Little Joe Frazier swarmed much like Little Jack Dempsey and landed the left hook with impunity. The very best version of Dempsey could hope to do something similar.

I know some will contend Ali was better in 65-67 but there is no way of knowing this because, with perhaps only the exception of Patterson, he fought absolute scrubs. Terrell never proved anything, Williams was absolutely shot (literally) and not that good to begin with, Foley wasn't far behind Williams in that department, London, Cooper and Midlin'burger were journeyman fighters on their best days.

I say Jack- on his best day- has a 30% chance of scoring the upset here.
'Little Joe Frazier' had 20-30lbs on Dempsey, fought with a different style, with a guard and systematically broke his man down by applying pressure.

Ali had weaker comp in the 60s but his 60s competition is still far better than Dempseys competition

Ali may underrated Dempsey or overstate his flaws, but he does have flaws that would get exposed, however he looks worse against Willard than at his absolute best
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 07-27-2009, 04:24 PM   #27
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
'Little Joe Frazier' had 20-30lbs on Dempsey, fought with a different style, with a guard and systematically broke his man down by applying pressure.

Ali had weaker comp in the 60s but his 60s competition is still far better than Dempseys competition

Ali may underrated Dempsey or overstate his flaws, but he does have flaws that would get exposed, however he looks worse against Willard than at his absolute best
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 07-27-2009, 04:29 PM   #28
Jazzo
Non-Facebook Fag
ESB Addict

Quote:
How generous of him

I agree completely.

Yet I do appreciate guys upsetting the applecart from time to time. The rule is that all past champs are unbeatable compared to a current champ. Gets tiresome.

Ali was the exception that proved the rule, however.
Jazzo is offline  Top
Old 07-27-2009, 04:43 PM   #29
Longhhorn71
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus View Post
Hmmm... I wonder if he thought Frazier was a joke... Not totally ****ogous fighters but not far off either.
On the campus tour in 1970 Ali thought Frazier was a joke, but when he was out on his feet in the 11th round, and his butt was on the canvas in the 15th round in the FOTC...he found the joke was on himself.
Longhhorn71 is offline  Top
Old 07-27-2009, 05:23 PM   #30
Shake
Belt holder
ESB Addict

The way Gene Tunney handled Dempsey makes me believe Ali would do so as well.
Shake is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum