Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 09-09-2007, 07:22 AM   #1
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 0
Default When did boxing lose its mystique for you?

Do not get me wrong I still have a huge fondness for the sport. But I find myself more and more reflecting on its past rather than looking to its future.

I look at probably best fighter in the world (Lil Floyd) and shake my head and tut at his attitude and public persona.

Boxing has always had its jerks at the top of the sport and a lot were worse than Mayweather but for whatever reason I used to put up with them.

But to answer my own question around 95/96 I stopped going to fights (with the exception of local bouts, I have been to one big(ish) one since (Harrison/WilliamsI)); Tyson came back and people tried to rehash the past and pretend it was 1986 not 1996.

Also King gave up on doing his super shows where there would be three main event quality fights on each bill. And in Britain mainstream boxing disappeared from primetime terrestrial (Network) TV...

I am sure for some boxing still has that mystique, and even without that little bit of magic very few things compare to the hours leading up to a 'super fight', but still for me boxing has not been quite the same sport for the last 12 years or so.

Last edited by TBooze; 09-09-2007 at 07:44 AM.
TBooze is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-2007, 07:36 AM   #2
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: When did boxing lose its mystique for you?

Everybody familiar with my posts won't be in the least bit surprised that the abolition of the 15 round limit in professional boxing, and the imposition of mandatory headgear in amateur boxing turned me into a former fan.
Duodenum is offline  Top
Old 09-09-2007, 07:36 AM   #3
My dinner with Conteh
Champion
East Side Guru

Bizarre. I was going to say 'around 95/95'?

I'm not sure, maybe a bit later. Maybe when Shea Neary came to our local pub and passed himself off as a 'world champ'. Hatton too, regarded himself his WBU (or whatever it was) as a world title.
My dinner with Conteh is offline  Top
Old 09-09-2007, 08:35 AM   #4
Dempsey1238
Champion
East Side Guru

Ads lol.

But relly they started to lose there mysticque when boxing started to be film in Talkies.
Dempsey1238 is offline  Top
Old 09-09-2007, 08:41 AM   #5
buddynabuick
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

when i got my tooth knocked out
buddynabuick is offline  Top
Old 09-09-2007, 09:59 AM   #6
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duodenum
Everybody familiar with my posts won't be in the least bit surprised that the abolition of the 15 round limit in professional boxing, and the imposition of mandatory headgear in amateur boxing turned me into a former fan.
That was the symbolic beginning of boxing losing it's lustre to me, the end of the 15 rounders. That bastardized the sport in two ways, first by yielding to public hysteria about ring fatalities of that time in a sort of knee jerk reaction to appease the "abolish boxing" people. The other "reason" for it was to fit a boxing match into the time frame of a network televised showing, and you know how popular boxing is on network televised sports shows (sarc.). Boxing has been jilted at the alter in favor of just about every concievable sporting event, probably even quilting bees. The end of the 15 round element more than anything symbolizes a breach with boxings great and noble past by the garden slugs that rule the different organizations and the sleazy promoters that work with them. A damn sellout!!! Also for me, a factor that has soured me somewhat on the current boxing scene and made me a denizen of boxing's past, has been the infiltration of the despicable rap culture and the resulting thuggery and bad sportsmanship that you see so much of.
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 09-09-2007, 12:32 PM   #7
salsanchezfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Hard to pinpoint an exact time, but it seems to have faded pretty dramatically for me with the death knell of boxing on free TV. Sure, you could still get good fights on HBO or Showtime, but it wasn't the same.
salsanchezfan is offline  Top
Old 09-09-2007, 12:34 PM   #8
Club Fighter
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Location: Bronx, New York, USA, North America, Earth, Milky Way
vCash: 1972

When hugging became acceptable.
Club Fighter is offline  Top
Old 09-09-2007, 01:54 PM   #9
young griffo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

When Ray Mercer lost to Kimbo Slice.
young griffo is offline  Top
Old 09-09-2007, 03:24 PM   #10
ironchamp
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1230

I love boxing but it gradually lost its mystique as the 90s fighters that I knew and loved got old.

Seeing Mike Tyson, Roy Jones, Felix Trinidad, Evander Holyfield, Lennox Lewis, Riddick Bowe, etc seeing these guys no longer being the same fighters that they were in their past when I see all the 90s fighters taking a back seat to the dull and uninteresting future I realize that the mysitque is gone. Shane Mosely in his prime would have wiped the entire welterweight division clean. Now he's almost taking a back seat to these guys.

The Heavyweights have nobody in thier current rankings that excite me. That make me want to see all the time. Tyson got me into boxing. Holyfield and Bowe kept me watching. Lewis I reluctantly gave him his due but he was a great. To me boxing's mystique lies in a talent laden Heavyweight Division. The division has to be appealing otherwise the sport will feel empty.
ironchamp is offline  Top
Old 09-10-2007, 05:45 AM   #11
fists of fury
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1887

Great thread.

I suppose towards the beginning of the millenium for me. I used to be a complete boxing fanatic, collecting all the monthly magazines (KO, World Boxing, Boxing Illustrated and of course The Ring) and watching everything from 4 rounders to championship fights.
Really, I was boxing obsessed.

What started the rot for me was that for some reason all the magazines I used to collect are no longer aqvailable in this country, and the TV channels no longer show as much boxing as they used to. I suppose I could read all the latest news on ESB of course, but I've never been a big fan of reading lengthly articles off a website.

So yeah, my relative lack of interest has to do with not keeping up with the modern scene, but in addition boxing in my eyes is just not as exciting as it used to be in the 70's, 80's and 90's. That's my personal opinion anyway.
I still watch fights (naturally) but I only know the big names today.
fists of fury is offline  Top
Old 09-10-2007, 06:55 AM   #12
DamonD
Champion
East Side Guru

Seeing the end of my old favourites from the 90s, or at least the end of their full capabilities in the case of Holyfield.

I still think I'm a fairly good follower and cheerleader for the HW divison. I like to think I can still get excited about the possible matchups out there, I'm still always buzzed come HW fight night. Even for stuff like the Tua/Rahman doubleheader.

But perhaps naturally, it's not the same devotion I had watching it in my pre-teen and teenage years.
DamonD is offline  Top
Old 09-10-2007, 08:27 AM   #13
Dempsey1238
Champion
East Side Guru

Other thing when boxing started to lose there mystique was when they were require to wear gloves.
But they went starve raving mad when Dempsey coulnt do this.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Boxing went from this,

To THISSSS in a blink of a eye.

Yeah MORE of that boxing action.

Ali relly ruin the sport. It was never able to recover since than.
Old 09-10-2007, 11:35 AM   #14
jowcol
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Probably somewhere in the late 80's early 90's.
Many reasons:
1) abolition of the 15 round title fight.
2) multi-multi "champs" in each division.
3) the creation of new "divisions" with maybe 3 or 4 pounds difference
in weight
4) paying an arm and a leg to see the big fights.
5) (I think this shows how truely the sweet science has gone head
first into the toilet) I recently saw the 4 Heavyweight champions and the top 10 contenders in each of their jurisdiction body. Out of these
40 top ten spots there were only about 5 or 6 if memory serves me that had the same fighter listed. So, in effect, we have 34-35 "top 10
contenders"???? Insane...
My $0.02

P.S. I will continue to grow my boxing video library on fights from the 20's thru the mid-eighties and the STILL occasional great scrap that comes along every now and then but that's it for me.
jowcol is offline  Top
Old 09-10-2007, 12:45 PM   #15
Dempsey1238
Champion
East Side Guru

Only the 1920's?? What about the great era of the 1900's and before?

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum