Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 09-10-2007, 02:29 PM   #16
prime
BOX! Writing Champion
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: When did boxing lose its mystique for you?

Boxing should never lose its mystique to the real fan. Our champions shall forever loom huge in our imaginations. The real fan must never stop fighting to keep the classic Sweet Science alive and swinging. Thank goodness for the Internet. Now we at least have a voice.

And I hate steroids!
prime is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-2007, 02:49 PM   #17
Sweet Science
Peaceful Muslim Warrior
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prime
Boxing should never lose its mystique to the real fan. Our champions shall forever loom huge in our imaginations. The real fan must never stop fighting to keep the classic Sweet Science alive and swinging. Thank goodness for the Internet. Now we at least have a voice.

And I hate steroids!
No matter how big a fan you are or how great your love for boxing, your interest can wane as boxing does go through its unimaginative patches and depressions. For example, when Ali left the sport the fire of boxing was almost extinguished, until the fab four came along to reignite the fire and passion for long suffering fans, then Tyson turned that fire into an inferno. I would say right now the fire has been extinguished again, certainly in the heavyweight division.
Sweet Science is offline  Top
Old 09-10-2007, 03:24 PM   #18
prime
BOX! Writing Champion
ESB Senior Member

Of course interest wanes, and you get sometimes more than a little cynical at all the politics, exploitation and greed. Yet, there's an old saying, "Someone will come along."

This is an especially precarious time for boxing, as young athletes can choose more lucrative, less perilous options. Every day there are fewer hard-core trainers, gyms and persuasive role models.

But boxing has a mystique all its own, which uniquely challenges the primal instinct of the warrior at heart. Look at the success of all these boxing movies. People will always be fascinated by boxing when done right. We should continue to fan the flame and "someone will come along".
prime is offline  Top
Old 09-10-2007, 04:21 PM   #19
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 765

Quote:
Originally Posted by prime
Of course interest wanes, and you get sometimes more than a little cynical at all the politics, exploitation and greed. Yet, there's an old saying, "Someone will come along."

This is an especially precarious time for boxing, as young athletes can choose more lucrative, less perilous options. Every day there are fewer hard-core trainers, gyms and persuasive role models.

But boxing has a mystique all its own, which uniquely challenges the primal instinct of the warrior at heart. Look at the success of all these boxing movies. People will always be fascinated by boxing when done right. We should continue to fan the flame and "someone will come along".
The problem is no one has come along since November 22 1986...

I brought into the Tyson hype and we had our continuation from the end of the fab four.

Everything went wellish for a couple of years, then you could close your eyes no longer; Tyson was no prophet of good.

But hey there was this JC Superstar fella who picked the ball up and with Golden Boy as an American Olympic champ and a strong Heavyweight division and everything looked fine once more... but that the era was somehow lost.

TV had a lot to do with that, people had to pay a lot to watch their boxing and the working class was lost, probably now forever.

"Someone will come along" is just not going to happen. With hindsight that someone was not Tyson and there has not been someone since Leonard; that is over 30 years ago!

Boxing is the King of Sports, it is has always been ruled by corrupt politicians, but they had HenryV wannabies to front the sport. But sadly that is no longer the case and everybody rather than the few sees the seedy unbelly of the sport as it is now the main thing about it. A massive reason for this is the internet and thus in part our fault.
TBooze is offline  Top
Old 09-10-2007, 05:02 PM   #20
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru

When Tyson reverted to the cannibalism of his ancestors.
Duodenum is offline  Top
Old 09-10-2007, 05:07 PM   #21
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 765

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duodenum
When Tyson reverted to the cannibalism of his ancestors.
A tad close to the knuckle....
TBooze is offline  Top
Old 09-10-2007, 05:46 PM   #22
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBooze
A tad close to the knuckle....
Tell me about it! (They're my ancestors too.)
Duodenum is offline  Top
Old 09-12-2007, 10:36 AM   #23
Titan1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Around the late 80's, when Sugar Ray Leonard started pulling his crap, and then Oscar De La Hoya continued it, though the 15 rounders were truly the start of the end, in addition, the lack of bouts on network tv.
Titan1 is offline  Top
Old 05-09-2013, 09:04 PM   #24
ThinBlack
Belt holder
ESB Addict

When the heavyweights from the United States started going to crap, and when Mike Tyson got out for good, and when someone like Floyd Mayweather can repeated make the sheep believe he's doing something.
ThinBlack is offline  Top
Old 05-09-2013, 09:30 PM   #25
jaymon112
MARVELOUS
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 561

Seriously I've been watching boxing for years, but anyone else get annoyed with those older boxing fans who stopped watching boxing like 20 to 15 years ago and call boxing dead?

I come across a lot of them at work especially when big fights come up. I remember this older guy who told me about Hearns and Duran and they don't make fighters like that anymore, and I agreed with him I said that was the golden era, and I asked him who do you watch today? he said he hasn't watched boxing since 1995.

LOL wtf? Don't talk about boxing then how can you say they don't make them like they used to anymore if you don't even watch it. I can't stand guys like this, they stopped watching boxing and than claim the sport is dead. I been watching boxing since the 80s. I never stopped since.

Pacquiao and Marquez fights are up there with some of the best, both are true warriors who will not stop till they get knocked out, you got Mayweather even though he doesn't fight the guys we want to see he is very skilled, You have warriors like Rios and Alvarado who are similar to guys like Danny red lopez and Bobby schoolboy chacon.

You got a lot of great fighters and matches from the 2000s Diego Corrales vs. Castillo, Gatti Ward, Morales Barrera trilogy, Pacquiao Barrera, morales. Mosley vs Margarito, Cotto Margarito, Sergio Martinez P will, Rios vs. Alvarado, Juan ma vs Salido, the list goes on and on.

Bradley vs Ruslan one of the more recent ones, Man I could name so many great fights.
jaymon112 is offline  Top
Old 05-09-2013, 09:31 PM   #26
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1010

for me it was when I got older. When we are young we get into every little facet of the game at the time.
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Old 05-09-2013, 09:33 PM   #27
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I believe this current scene to be the best of all possible worlds in regards to boxing. I can think of no way to improve upon it.
Seamus is offline  Top
Old 05-09-2013, 09:35 PM   #28
tennis
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

When theres a weak hw division, boxing feels weak.
tennis is offline  Top
Old 05-09-2013, 09:38 PM   #29
louis54
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

when stillman's closed
louis54 is offline  Top
Old 05-09-2013, 10:57 PM   #30
Vic-JofreBRASIL
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1166

I still watch boxing with the same passion I did in the first years of my love with the sport....
Vic-JofreBRASIL is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum