Old 07-28-2009, 08:51 PM   #16
pare
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Marvin Hagler v Vito Antuofermo 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny Carson View Post
Yep it's not nuts to have it 10-4-1 for Hagler. I think the people who say it was a draw are blind.
agree. what people forget is, even if the latter stages of the fight became vito's fight (inside), hagler was more than matching him in that department.
pare is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-2009, 09:40 AM   #17
Manassa
-
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by My dinner with Conteh View Post
Very poor verdict. Hagler was cautious because he thought he had the fight in the bag. Maybe he shouldn't have been, but his margin should have been wide enough to win the title. Judges can't just cross their scoring out from the earlier rounds because late on in the fight if they think "hmm, maybe he hasn't done enough to take the title away". Even if they thought that in the final few rounds, their cards should have still had Marvin in a big enough lead when he did fight like he was 'taking' the title.
I also thought that a lot of the work Antuofermo was getting done largely consisted of headbutts and grappling. Not really 'effective' aggression, well, not all the time obviously. But Cosell (idiot) always was a bad commentator and blew some bits out of proportion.
Manassa is offline  Top
Old 07-29-2009, 09:24 PM   #18
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

Vito still took Marvin out of his game and the 13th was a big rd. for Vito...Marvin had the finese, Vito was the roughhousing caveman but his heart and desire to win won me over. Marvin backed up and did not dig in. It was a solid performance by Vito and Marvin disapointed me. I expected him to win big but he did not take the title IMO. Hagler was one of my Fav's but this was not one of his best efforts and the Vito he fought that night did not want to lose his title.
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Old 07-30-2009, 12:06 AM   #19
Dave's Top Ten
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Arguably one of the worst decisions I've ever seen. Admittedly, I am a big Marv fan, but nevertheless, this was a travesty. I find it very hard to give Vito more than 5 rounds. 5 rounds is possibly even generous.
Dave's Top Ten is offline  Top
Old 07-30-2009, 06:24 AM   #20
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie G View Post
Still baffled as to how Hagler only got a draw out of this one. Granted he took his foot off the gas in the latter stages and Vito came on strong,yet surely Marvin had built up a comfortable points cushion to take it.
Haven't seen it for good while ,so my opinion might be off base,but I think I had Marvin up by a round or two.
He seemed to take his eye off the ball in the latter stages, probably beleiving he had a sizable lead,maybe that was his corner talking,[one Ive never been impressed with].Whilst Hagler did not go walkabout like ODH against Tito, he seemed to lose focus,had he continued his effective countering and jabbing ,I think there would have been no argument as to the result.
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 07-30-2009, 09:08 AM   #21
he grant
Historian/Film Maker
East Side Guru

WAs it fair, no. However how many times have we seen a fighter coast to the end and blow a fight ? Especially when a popular champion like Vito is the titlke holder. Hagler learned from this one ...
he grant is offline  Top
Old 08-22-2013, 10:23 AM   #22
tommythomas3
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

Hagler won, but Antuofermo was coming on. Marvin didn't dig in and Vito got in there, and it cost Marvelous Marvin the fight. Champions usually deserve the benefit of the doubt.
tommythomas3 is offline  Top
Old 08-22-2013, 10:43 AM   #23
88Chris05
Journeyman

Just dug out my card - I had it 145-141 to Hagler.

That said, Marvin could be his own worst enemy at times and I think he showed that here. He had Vito beaten all ends up from a stylistic point of view, but seemed to forget what he was good at in certain rounds and started trying to look flashy going away and not quite throwing enough.

At mid range, Hagler was an immaculate fighter. But he wasn't so great at long range, and in the inside exchanges in this fight he wasn't busy enough to prevent leaving the door open just a crack to let the judges show their incompetence. Vito's work on the inside and against the ropes wasn't all that good in terms of quality, but he was outhustling Hagler for prolonged periods and it was a case of the one-eyed beating the blind in that respect.

A poor verdict, but there have been worse and Hagler did himself no favours. That doesn't justify the bad scoring, of course, and in fairness Hagler showed against Minter that he'd taken this lesson to heart!
88Chris05 is offline  Top
Old 08-22-2013, 12:38 PM   #24
Baclava
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

I remember I had Hagler winning by either 2 or 3 points. Antuofermo won his share of rounds.
Baclava is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum