Boxing News 24 Forum
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

View Poll Results: Should Wladimir Klitschko Be Awarded The Ring Belt By Default?
Yes 41 44.57%
No 51 55.43%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-09-2007, 05:03 PM   #31
BewareofDawg
P4P Champ
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Should Wladimir Klitschko Be Awarded The Ring Belt By Default?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Presscot
**** no. When all 4 belts are UNIFIED Ring may crown a champion.
All 4? You're an idiot Dan
BewareofDawg is online now  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-2007, 05:04 PM   #32
AJAX
war sonnen!
ESB Addict

vCash: 3450

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Randsom
Read the thread, it is about Wlad Klitschko.
and the ring belt and that's what were talking about. vitali retired with it and they havn't awarded it to anyone else. So untill they do i would think Vitali still has it
AJAX is offline  Top
Old 09-09-2007, 05:06 PM   #33
AJAX
war sonnen!
ESB Addict

vCash: 3450

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Presscot
**** no. When all 4 belts are UNIFIED Ring may crown a champion.
that will likely never happen, so should we just throw the belt in the trash dumpster.?
AJAX is offline  Top
Old 09-09-2007, 05:10 PM   #34
KobeIsGod
Who Necks?!?
ESB Addict

vCash: 1001

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJAX
that will likely never happen, so should we just throw the belt in the trash dumpster.?
if wlad can unify one belt even the WBO, that would be enough for me to consider him undisputed. I don't think it is really viable to unify 3 or more anymore
KobeIsGod is offline  Top
Old 09-09-2007, 05:15 PM   #35
Decker
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexicanJew
I think Wladimir should be awarded the Ring Belt if he unifys one of the titles. Doesnt matter which one, any of them. Or if he beats anyone within the Top 10, I would say give him the Ring Belt
That's a good compromise. But Wlad will never do enough for the haters to recognize him as HW champ... and that's part of the hidden agenda of the unification fetish some posters have.

With the turf battles among the 4 orgs and promoters, etc. it will be very difficult to have one guy hold all 4 belts. And within a short time the 4 belts will get split up again. We're living in a different era - some just can't come to grips w/that.

kg0208 I won't dispute your RING mag ratings & champ posts as you seem like a knowledgeable fan, but Kings Randsom has a point. If Wlad was an American (any group) he might not be the official RING champ, but the US sports media would treat him like the HW champ. To use oft used ESB lingo - they would be nuthugging Wlad if he was an American.

Last edited by Rakim; 06-09-2006 at 01:52 PM.
Decker is offline  Top
Old 09-10-2007, 12:34 AM   #36
TheGreat
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 962

Hell no as he is simply yet another belt holder as for those who say he gets no love because he is euro, thats a complete pile of shit as Vitaly his older brother got the ring belt after losing to LL.
TheGreat is offline  Top
Old 09-10-2007, 12:37 AM   #37
kg0208
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decker
That's a good compromise. But Wlad will never do enough for the haters to recognize him as HW champ... and that's part of the hidden agenda of the unification fetish some posters have.

With the turf battles among the 4 orgs and promoters, etc. it will be very difficult to have one guy hold all 4 belts. And within a short time the 4 belts will get split up again. We're living in a different era - some just can't come to grips w/that.

kg0208 I won't dispute your RING mag ratings & champ posts as you seem like a knowledgeable fan, but Kings Randsom has a point. If Wlad was an American (any group) he might not be the official RING champ, but the US sports media would treat him like the HW champ. To use oft used ESB lingo - they would be nuthugging Wlad if he was an American.
Well the American media may do that, but let me point out that the German media has been treating both the Klitscho brothers like they were champs for years. So thats not really an indication of anything.
kg0208 is offline  Top
Old 09-10-2007, 01:29 AM   #38
Dekkers
Team Bergeron
ESB Senior Member

Stupid, if he fights the 2 or 3 in the division give it to him, Peter wasn't that at the time they fought, you don't hand out ring belts retroactively
Dekkers is offline  Top
Old 09-10-2007, 01:34 AM   #39
WiDDoW_MaKeR
ESB Hall of Fame Member
East Side VIP

Let's not forget that not only does Wladimir have a win over the current #2 ranked Heavy by ring mag... but he also dominated, and knocked out Chris Byrd when Byrd was the #1 ranked heavy, by ring mag. So... I do think that he should be given the title. I don't see why he should have to beat Peter again... or wait for one of the others to finally fight him. It will be forever before a fight between Peter and Wlad could be made.
WiDDoW_MaKeR is offline  Top
Old 09-10-2007, 01:41 AM   #40
WiDDoW_MaKeR
ESB Hall of Fame Member
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekkers
Stupid, if he fights the 2 or 3 in the division give it to him, Peter wasn't that at the time they fought, you don't hand out ring belts retroactively
Yes, but if you really think about it... Wlad and Peter were the top two contenders in the world and fought each other for a chance at fight Byrd. Wlad beat Peter, and then when on to knock out Byrd who was ranked #1 by ring mag. Which gave Wlad the #1 ranking. Peter then moves into the #2 ranking after a couple wins over Toney... while Wladimir was busy knocking out Calvin Brock, Ray Austin, and Lamon Brewster.

All of this happened within a year and a half. So, it isn't as if we are talking about a win from back in 1996. Considering that within that time span, Wlad beat the top contender, and then the #1 ranked heavy for the #1 spot, beat the current #2, and also beat top contenders Calvin Brock, Lamon Brewster, and his manditory Ray Austin... I don't understand any reason why he shouldn't be the ring champ.
WiDDoW_MaKeR is offline  Top
Old 09-10-2007, 01:51 AM   #41
thesandman
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiDDoW_MaKeR
Yes, but if you really think about it... Wlad and Peter were the top two contenders in the world and fought each other for a chance at fight Byrd. Wlad beat Peter, and then when on to knock out Byrd who was ranked #1 by ring mag. Which gave Wlad the #1 ranking. Peter then moves into the #2 ranking after a couple wins over Toney... while Wladimir was busy knocking out Calvin Brock, Ray Austin, and Lamon Brewster.

All of this happened within a year and a half. So, it isn't as if we are talking about a win from back in 1996. Considering that within that time span, Wlad beat the top contender, and then the #1 ranked heavy for the #1 spot, beat the current #2, and also beat top contenders Calvin Brock, Lamon Brewster, and his manditory Ray Austin... I don't understand any reason why he shouldn't be the ring champ.
18 months is 18 months, that's all.

You can't retrospectively hand people belts based on past victories, regardless of the time frame involved.

To hand Wald the belt now would be simply ignoring the WBA, WBC and WBO belt holders. That's mighty controversial IMO.

(Peter and Wald were not top contenders in the world when they fought - I'm assuming you're ignoring anyone that held a belt at the time????)
thesandman is offline  Top
Old 09-10-2007, 01:52 AM   #42
kg0208
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiDDoW_MaKeR

If a Klitshco was not involved you wouldn't even be arguing this.
kg0208 is offline  Top
Old 09-10-2007, 03:28 AM   #43
codeman99998
Belt holder
ESB Addict

*sigh*

I remember having this discussion 9 months ago.

It is true that Wlad does not deserve the Ring Belt in the traditional understanding of what constitutes deserving of the belt. This is a given. When he beat Peter he and Peter weren't #1 and #2. So, he doesn't deserve the belt right?

Well, maybe. The problem is, the other belt holders, being that Wlad is CLEARLY head and shoulders above the rest, have a big long term financial interest in NOT fighting Wladimir. As long as they hold a HW title they can just hold on to that title for as long as possible and make as much money as possible off of that. Why should they lose their "championship" (and honestly, most of these guys, or at least their managers, have to know that they would PROBABLY lose) to Wladimir when they can keep making money off of their "championship" fights.

This becomes very clear with the case of Shannon Briggs. His team wanted no part of Wladimir, until they lost their ABC title, and then they were wanting to fight him (after all, Wlad means money, and with no ABC title to hold on to for future revenue it makes sense to want to fight him when you are NOT a champion.)

My position is this, Wladimir should be crowned the Ring champion, not necessarily because he "deserves it" but because people generally recognize the Ring champ as the legitimate champ. Suddenly, those ABC boys might lose a bit of their financial incentive to not fight Wlad when the fans don't clamor for their "fake" championships.

I want to see unification, and oddly, I think by declaring a champion now, we have the best chance of making everyone fight each other.
codeman99998 is offline  Top
Old 09-10-2007, 03:41 AM   #44
thesandman
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 90

Codeman, I agree with the sentiment, but you can't put a policy in place for ANYTHING, and then just break it, well, because you want to.

I don't think giving Waldo the Ring belt will entice anyone to fight him. If a fighter has his abc belt, and the reason he doesn't want to fight Wald is because he (or his manager) thinks he will lose - that won't change a damn bit if the ring belt is involved.

If a fighter can make 3 easy ABC defences - then a shot at the Ring belt has to be worth more money than he can make in those 3 fights. I don't see the Ring belt attracting that kind of financial interest, it's something only pretty interested boxing fans know about.
thesandman is offline  Top
Old 09-10-2007, 03:47 AM   #45
Lance_Uppercut
ESKIMO
East Side VIP

It's quite simple. Peter was NOT # 2 when Wlad beat him, as others have pointed out. Anyone arguing against that is a fanboy.
Lance_Uppercut is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum