Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 07-28-2009, 08:30 AM   #1
TIGEREDGE
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default boxers who seemed to lose and gain punch resistance

just watched carl thompson v david haye. jesus thompson took some bombs from haye. he normally had china in his chin mr thompson. i remember eubank hurting him and a few others knocking him out

some boxers seem to have great punch resistance on one night and lose it on other nights.

look at nigel benn. sugar ray leonard is another. ricky hatton showed an iron chin against tszyu but lost it later on against floyd and pac
TIGEREDGE is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2009, 09:11 AM   #2
masterold
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Default Re: boxers who seemed to lose and gain punch resistance

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGEREDGE View Post
sugar ray leonard is another. ricky hatton showed an iron chin against tszyu but lost it later on against floyd and pac
what example's do you have for SRL? also I think Hatton's was more to do with his lifestyle and taking a lot of punishment throughout his career.
masterold is offline  Top
Old 07-28-2009, 10:11 AM   #3
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

Its all if they are expecting the shot from you and they can brace themselves to take it, its also placement of the shot. Its also if the leverage of the punch is quite right.

For example you gave the example of Hatton, against Tyszu he new he was in danger of being ko'd and braced himself for it, against Mayweather he didnt really respect Mayweathers power. Plus Mayweather timed his shots better than Tyszu who wasnt getting full extension on his right hand for the most shots meaning it wasnt at full power, Mayweather and Pacquaio's punches both landed perfectly, Zoo wasnt faster enough to get his shots off perfectly
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 07-28-2009, 10:13 AM   #4
cotto20
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
just watched carl thompson v david haye. jesus thompson took some bombs from haye. he normally had china in his chin mr thompson. i remember eubank hurting him and a few others knocking him out

some boxers seem to have great punch resistance on one night and lose it on other nights.

look at nigel benn. sugar ray leonard is another. ricky hatton showed an iron chin against tszyu but lost it later on against floyd and pac
I have also noticed this! carlos monzon got dropped 3 times in one fight against [Only registered and activated users can see links. ], then went his next 80 odd fights only going down against big punching valdes.

Oscar de la hoya got dropped by superfeatherweight [Only registered and activated users can see links. ], ike quartey and bernard hopkins, but didnt touch the canvas when he faced big punchers vargas, gatti, trinidad, mayorga and mosley.

Mike Tyson was dropped by buster douglas, greg page in sparring and evander h, yet razor ruddock and frank bruno(oliver mccall says the only man to ever hurt him) couldnt budge iron mike
cotto20 is offline  Top
Old 07-28-2009, 12:03 PM   #5
DINAMITA
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Margarito.

The difference between the Cotto fight and the Mosley fight is night and day.
DINAMITA is offline  Top
Old 07-28-2009, 12:09 PM   #6
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

vCash: 842

Quote:
Originally Posted by DINAMITA View Post
Margarito.

The difference between the Cotto fight and the Mosley fight is night and day.
I'm not sure about that. I think even granite can be broken if it's hit enough times flush, and Margarito took twice as much punishment against Shane than he did with Cotto. Shocking to see Margarito go down, but Shane would have got most opponents out of there much quicker at that punches landed percentage.

Probably the most brutal and one-sided title fight of the last 10 years?
Addie is offline  Top
Old 07-28-2009, 01:06 PM   #7
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:

Beeston Brawler is offline  Top
Old 07-28-2009, 07:41 PM   #8
DINAMITA
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I'm not sure about that. I think even granite can be broken if it's hit enough times flush, and Margarito took twice as much punishment against Shane than he did with Cotto. Shocking to see Margarito go down, but Shane would have got most opponents out of there much quicker at that punches landed percentage.

Probably the most brutal and one-sided title fight of the last 10 years?
We have discussed this before though - I believe Margarito was hurting at the power of Shane's shots from early doors, you don't think so. For me, Margo took many, many headshots throughout the first full 6 rounds or so of the Cotto fight - and didn't so much as bat an eyelid. Against Mosley, I think he was hurt early, hid it well, but suffered through the fight until he completely capitulated. What I find about it strange is that there didn't look to be a great deal between Mosley and Cotto in terms of punching power when they actually fought each other, but either there must be or Margarito's resilience had diminished somehow by the time he fought SSM. Who knows, it's not very important anyway.

I would agree it was the most brutal and one-sided fight I can think of at the moment, considering only fights where the favourite lost. Darchinyan-Mijares is a decent shout too, but SSM-Margo probably tops it.
DINAMITA is offline  Top
Old 07-28-2009, 08:02 PM   #9
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 118

Friggin' Tommy Hearns.
Russell is offline  Top
Old 07-28-2009, 08:19 PM   #10
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP

vCash: 36829

I would say losing is far more common and generally more explicable; this would be more interesting if streamlined to enumerating those fighters who gained punch resistance..
IntentionalButt is offline  Top
Old 07-28-2009, 08:20 PM   #11
Maxmomer
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 619

Quote:
Originally Posted by DINAMITA View Post
We have discussed this before though - I believe Margarito was hurting at the power of Shane's shots from early doors, you don't think so. For me, Margo took many, many headshots throughout the first full 6 rounds or so of the Cotto fight - and didn't so much as bat an eyelid. Against Mosley, I think he was hurt early, hid it well, but suffered through the fight until he completely capitulated. What I find about it strange is that there didn't look to be a great deal between Mosley and Cotto in terms of punching power when they actually fought each other, but either there must be or Margarito's resilience had diminished somehow by the time he fought SSM. Who knows, it's not very important anyway.

I would agree it was the most brutal and one-sided fight I can think of at the moment, considering only fights where the favourite lost. Darchinyan-Mijares is a decent shout too, but SSM-Margo probably tops it.
One difference might be that Mosley worked Marg's body better. Also, Cotto threw a lot of his punches on the back foot.
Maxmomer is offline  Top
Old 07-29-2009, 04:52 AM   #12
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxmomer View Post
One difference might be that Mosley worked Marg's body better. Also, Cotto threw a lot of his punches on the back foot.
I've heard this argument too. I think it was the mere fact that Mosley gets more leverage on his shots anyhow, and he landed significantly more shots than Miguel Cotto. Body work helped, but he was chopped down late.
Addie is offline  Top
Old 07-29-2009, 06:00 AM   #13
good right hand
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntentionalButt View Post
I would say losing is far more common and generally more explicable; this would be more interesting if streamlined to enumerating those fighters who gained punch resistance..

how about evander holyfeild?

i remember when he was getting hurt by bert cooper and riddick bowe... then he went on to stand up to the hits or lennox lewis and mike tyson... then in his latter years he was hurt by ruiz and toney.

emanuel agustus from what i heard was ko's by jesus chavez, but he stood up to the best shots of bigger harder hitting teddy reid, kelson pinto, wilfredo vilches, diobleys hurtado and antonio diaz which was later in his career.

manny pacquiao is another one who was stopped twice early but shook off the best shots from morales and marquez.
good right hand is offline  Top
Old 07-29-2009, 06:50 AM   #14
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Addie is offline  Top
Old 07-29-2009, 08:19 AM   #15
lefthook31
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Some guys lose their chin from dropping weight like Miguel Cotto. He became much sturdier once he was at a more natural weight. Some guys los their chin from age like Terry Norris and Riddick Bowe lost his from lack of conditioning. I dont care who it is, if a fighter takes the continuous beating such as Mike Tyson did against Douglas or Margarito did against Mosley, they are going to go down. As far as Ricky Hatton, the reason he was knocked out was because he was hit so cleanly. He was never hit that cleanly by Tsyzu or he would have been unconscious.
lefthook31 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum