Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 09-10-2007, 01:00 PM   #31
Luigi1985
Cane Corso
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Who was the greatest pure boxer of all time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. M. Clay II
I did that to beat you to the punch, 'cause I know you would write the exact same thing.

You wannabe-genius did nothing, you´re only bruiting lies, like always, nothing more. I wanted to write the truth, that the other posters know what a lying dumbass you´re (for the few who don´t know it yet)...
Luigi1985 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-2007, 01:05 PM   #32
C. M. Clay II
Manassah's finest!
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi1985
You wannabe-genius did nothing, you´re only bruiting lies, like always, nothing more. I wanted to write the truth, that the other posters know what a lying dumbass you´re (for the few who don´t know it yet)...
O.K., then what were you going to write?
C. M. Clay II is offline  Top
Old 09-10-2007, 01:15 PM   #33
Luigi1985
Cane Corso
ESB Addict

Quote:
O.K., then what were you going to write?

You said, that you wrote a former text from me purposefully wrong, because you know how I would respond (which is total bs, because if I create a lie about another poster, it´s normal that he wants to clear up the situation), so I don´t need know to go writing with you clown...

back to topic, why was Ali the best pure boxer for you? You´re the first who say so...
Old 09-10-2007, 01:22 PM   #34
C. M. Clay II
Manassah's finest!
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
You said, that you wrote a former text from me purposefully wrong, because you know how I would respond (which is total bs, because if I create a lie about another poster, it´s normal that he wants to clear up the situation), so I don´t need know to go writing with you clown...

back to topic, why was Ali the best pure boxer for you? You´re the first who say so...
So you weren't going to respond to it at all? I can't believe that!
Old 09-10-2007, 01:26 PM   #35
C. M. Clay II
Manassah's finest!
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Anyway, Ali had p4p IMO the fastest hands and feet. He moved his body in very tricky ways to avoid punches and make it harder for an opponent to set up punches to begin with. His jab was capable of winning fights by itself. His right was very good and straight set up off the jab. He used every possible variety of combos to offset his opponent. He had enought stamina (in his prime) to move for 15 rounds to keep away from his opponent, and he was very smart and knew every trick in the book about tying his man up, getting out of corners, riding punches that land, etc.
Old 09-10-2007, 01:27 PM   #36
Luigi1985
Cane Corso
ESB Addict

Quote:
So you weren't going to respond to it at all? I can't believe that!

My god, what kind of psychic issues you must have...

PM me if you have serious problems, perhaps it isn´t too late now...
Old 09-10-2007, 01:28 PM   #37
Luigi1985
Cane Corso
ESB Addict

Quote:
Anyway, Ali had p4p IMO the fastest hands and feet. He moved his body in very tricky ways to avoid punches and make it harder for an opponent to set up punches to begin with. His jab was capable of winning fights by itself. His right was very good and straight set up off the jab. He used every possible variety of combos to offset his opponent. He had enought stamina (in his prime) to move for 15 rounds to keep away from his opponent, and he was very smart and knew every trick in the book about tying his man up, getting out of corners, riding punches that land, etc.

Although English is your mother tongue and not mine, I must explain you what the thread creator asked for: He asked for the best pure boxer, Ali wasn´t a pure boxer, he was a unorthodox fighter with great movements and lightening speed...
Old 09-10-2007, 01:29 PM   #38
CASH_718
"You ****ed Healy?"
East Side Guru

vCash: 1644

More recently I'll say Ivan Calderon and James Toney.

And for the people saying Muhammad Ali and Roy Jones you's are out of your minds. Roy Jones was all reflexes and speed. Take that away and he's a journey men. His defence was to use his reflexes to get out of the way of the punches he couldn't fight on the in side and he threw very wide punches.

And Ali he used the same defence as Jones and when he came back after his case he got hit alot because his speed and reflexes faded. And Ali NEVER ever ever punched to the body. What kind of pure boxer then threw a body punch???
CASH_718 is offline  Top
Old 09-10-2007, 01:30 PM   #39
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru

Eddie said in a studio interview with Cosell in reviewing the match, that dealing with Marvin Johnson was like fighting a "water buffalo." It really was something of a midring rope-a-dope performance. Structurally, the image I have of Eddie is analogous to a drinking bird bobbing up and down. His precisely balanced center is what allowed him to generate such terrific punching power, as well as effortlessly elude punches with his upper body movement while standing stationary. (That he never blinked, like Benitez, was also crucial.)

During that bout, Marvin Johnson was the victim of a body attack the likes of which I had never seen before. Eddie was actually folding Marvin in half with bodyshots from the outside! These were not colorless punches indistinguishable in close, but distinctly damaging scoring blows visible for all to see. Two other times I saw a downstairs assault of this flamboyant, points accumulating nature were in SRL/Hearns I, and Holmes/Carl Williams.

I often wonder what Eddie might have accomplished if he had the joy of training which Emile Griffith reveled in, or the stoic dedication of a Mike Spinks. I guess my favorite match of Eddie's was his annihilation of Lotte Mwale, in the aftermath of his loss to Spinks. Eddie made the light heavyweight limit with ease for Mwale, and was easily the most animated I ever saw him, utterly hyped up for a rematch with Spinks in the post fight interview. In mid career, Mwale had only been defeated by Saad Muhammad, was coming off a 13 round knockout win for the African LHW title, and would produce another 13 round kayo win following his loss to Eddie. But Mustafa Muhammad picked away at Mwale with his jab, slipped all his punches effortlessly, and made the kill with a perfectly executed right cross and left hook. The right sent Gunduzani's mouthpiece flying, and when he senselessly turned his back to go looking for it, Eddie leaped to his left, and clobbered him with the final hook from behind, a legal but merciless display of exhuberant savagery. The Eddie Mustafa Muhammad of the Lotte Mwale fight would have taken out Marvin Johnson in three rounds.

My second favorite Mustafa Muhammad performance was actually his dismal loss to Mister Snipes. Eddie came in at a porky 201 pounds, a paltry contrast to Renaldo's much larger sculpted physique, but Snipes continually ran around the ring perimeter (twisting his ankle on a ringside photographer's intrusive camera at one point). Eddie continually stalked, but was simply outreached, outmaneuvered, and outhustled by his better conditioned prey. Still, on the few occasions that he caught Snipes covered up on the ropes, he made the most of those opportunities, whaling away at the sides of Renaldo's body with massive rights and lefts that came directly from the center of Eddie's form. Those would be great clips to study when examining the mechanics of punching power.

One other trivial thing about that affair amused me greatly. Archie Moore was in Eddie's corner, boisterously and bombastically ballyhooing Eddie's foray into the heavyweight division to the high heavens. (Let's face it. Not even Ali could outtalk Archie.) When Snipes and Eddie met in ring center with their cornermen for the referee's instructions, Renaldo didn't only find himself staring down one pair of eyes, but two! The Mongoose's glare along with Eddie's at Snipes was one of the coolest things I've ever seen a trainer do in a boxing ring. ("Hey Rennie! You're taking us BOTH on!")
Duodenum is offline  Top
Old 09-10-2007, 01:30 PM   #40
CASH_718
"You ****ed Healy?"
East Side Guru

vCash: 1644

Quote:
You clearly don't know what PURE boxing skills means.
CASH_718 is offline  Top
Old 09-10-2007, 01:31 PM   #41
Luigi1985
Cane Corso
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASH_718
More recently I'll say Ivan Calderon and James Toney.

And for the people saying Muhammad Ali and Roy Jones you's are out of your minds. Roy Jones was all reflexes and speed. Take that away and he's a journey men. His defence was to use his reflexes to get out of the way of the punches he couldn't fight on the in side and he threw very wide punches.

And Ali he used the same defence as Jones and when he came back after his case he got hit alot because his speed and reflexes faded. And Ali NEVER ever ever punched to the body. What kind of pure boxer then threw a body punch???

Exactly!

Last edited by Asterion; 06-10-2006 at 07:59 PM.
Old 09-10-2007, 01:32 PM   #42
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru

Quote:
I fully agree. If anyone can't put a prime Ali in with other selected fighters under the category "greatest pure boxers" then they seriously have a biased problem towards him.
Robbi is offline  Top
Old 09-10-2007, 01:33 PM   #43
Luigi1985
Cane Corso
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbi
I fully agree. If anyone can't put a prime Ali in with other selected fighters under "greatest pure boxers" then they seriously have a biased problem towards him.
Than you have serious problems with formulating a question rightly, Ali wasn´t a great pure boxer, he lived because of his speed and movements, similar to RJJ...

Cash_718 is completely right what he wrote...
Old 09-10-2007, 01:37 PM   #44
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantequilla
The asskicking Conteh gave yaqui Lopez with just his jab was another great technical performance from that timeperiod.
His display in the first match with Saad Muhammad was also phenomenal, like a one armed bandit with his jabs, hooks, and way of slipping punches by leaning back with his chin tucked in, and forehead butting forward. Saad scored some late title saving knockdowns to pull out the decision at the end, but Conteh's clinical performance up to that point could be used for instructional purposes. Great form!
Duodenum is offline  Top
Old 09-10-2007, 01:38 PM   #45
ron u.k.
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantequilla
The asskicking Conteh gave yaqui Lopez with just his jab was another great technical performance from that timeperiod.
great call.it's a performance that's never mentioned.he fought lopez one handed as he f***** his right hand in a car crash,this was the start of him going off the rails.to do that to a challenger of the calibre of lopez was really something.
ron u.k. is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum