Old 07-29-2009, 10:24 PM   #3
Rumsfeld
East Side VIP

vCash: 655
Default Re: Thoughts on Shannon Briggs as Linear Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomicideHenry View Post
A fluke. Foreman was robbed.
I actually thought so, too. I remember watching that fight when I was in college and being shocked by the decision.

Nonetheless, in the long history of the linear championship, Shannon Briggs does have a place on that list.
Rumsfeld is offline  Top
Old 07-29-2009, 10:49 PM   #4
rekcutnevets
Black Sash
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Linear titles are overrated to a degree. The person who beats the person that beat the person is an important recognition. It's just that some times, the person retires. Sometimes the person wins officially; but loses unofficially, and loses public credibility. Sometimes the person ducks a certain other person, and that other person amasses a better recent win column.

Boxing is a what have you done for me lately kind of sport. It is important to attempt to maintain a lineal succession, but more important to make sure worthy challengers get their dues.
rekcutnevets is offline  Top
Old 07-29-2009, 11:04 PM   #5
MRBILL
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Briggs was NEVER my lineal / linear champion............................. Foreman was butt-reamed hard back in '97...............

MR.BILL
MRBILL is offline  Top
Old 07-29-2009, 11:10 PM   #6
PetethePrince
Slick & Redheaded
East Side VIP

vCash: 1200

Foreman had his day and was wanted out in boxing. He give the fans a show and they got what they wanted and didn't want the liability of an old man getting hurt, thus Foreman lost to Briggs. In reality, he won handedly.
PetethePrince is offline  Top
Old 07-29-2009, 11:10 PM   #7
TheGreatA
Champion
East Side Guru

In my view Foreman basically vacated his claim when he stopped fighting the best contenders out there. He was robbed too against Briggs.
TheGreatA is offline  Top
Old 07-29-2009, 11:52 PM   #8
Rumsfeld
East Side VIP

vCash: 655

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatA View Post
In my view Foreman basically vacated his claim when he stopped fighting the best contenders out there. He was robbed too against Briggs.
You make a good point there. Foreman was very picky and not very active after beating Moorer.

Still...the man who beat the man....

It is interesting. I also agree with what rekcutnevets said regarding linear titles.

But does the fact that Briggs won the linear title guarantee his name will be remembered long after his time has passed?
Rumsfeld is offline  Top
Old 07-30-2009, 12:04 AM   #9
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumsfeld View Post
But does the fact that Briggs won the linear title guarantee his name will be remembered long after his time has passed?
No, I think he's going to be remembered as he is here, the undeserving footnote recipient of a gift decision in George's last match. Far down the road, his prominence will be comparable to Marvin Hart's.
Duodenum is offline  Top
Old 07-30-2009, 12:42 AM   #10
HomicideHenry
Bareknuckle Brawler
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1061

Technically, if ANYONE should have been declared the lineal HW champion it was Axl Schulz, who was robbed against Foreman. Foreman refused a rematch, fought Savarese and Grimsley (I forget the order), and evidentially the suits, the powers that be, had enough of Foreman's cherry picking and free agent status, and when Briggs went the distance---they gave it to him---thus eliminating Foreman completely from contention, as he been stripped of his alphabet titles and now his linear claim.

Still, George was HUGE, and I still wish that in 1999 Holmes-Foreman would have came off.

*If we consider Schulz lineal HW champion, then basically the title went back to the man Foreman won it from in Michael Moorer; Schulz 'won' the IBF title from Botha after 'winning' the lineal title from Foreman, and then lost via SD to Michael Moorer, who would then lose to Evander Holyfield.
HomicideHenry is offline  Top
Old 07-30-2009, 12:44 AM   #11
My2Sense
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
What do you think?
Arguably the worst lineal champ in heavyweight history.
My2Sense is offline  Top
Old 07-30-2009, 01:37 AM   #12
Jazzo
Non-Facebook Fag
ESB Addict

Quote:
What do you think?
Utter Bullshit.
Jazzo is offline  Top
Old 07-30-2009, 01:49 AM   #13
Dempsey1238
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatA View Post

In my view Dempsey basically vacated his claim(And Willard before that) when he stopped fighting the best contenders out there.
Dempsey1238 is offline  Top
Old 07-30-2009, 04:07 AM   #14
DamonD
Champion
East Side Guru

Foreman led Moorer a merry dance in trying to get a rematch too. Strung him along for ages then kept breaking it off. Arum didn't help either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomicideHenry View Post
*If we consider Schulz lineal HW champion, then basically the title went back to the man Foreman won it from in Michael Moorer; Schulz 'won' the IBF title from Botha after 'winning' the lineal title from Foreman, and then lost via SD to Michael Moorer, who would then lose to Evander Holyfield.
Schulz didn't beat Botha, Botha outboxed him and then the fight was changed to an NC when Botha oddly tested positive for steroids.

So it's still Schulz, but maybe Botha has a partial claim to be linear champ

I think HomicideHenry is right. Foreman openly admitted to skipping on the best opponents, and given the chance to finally get this 48-year-old out of the mix I think the boxing commission took it. It was a bogus decision but then so was the Schulz one.

As for Briggs, too harsh Duodenum. I think the fight with Lewis and the stunning finale to Liakhovich will be remembered just as much with Briggs as the dodgy Foreman victory.
DamonD is offline  Top
Old 07-30-2009, 09:37 AM   #15
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonD View Post
Foreman led Moorer a merry dance in trying to get a rematch too. Strung him along for ages then kept breaking it off. Arum didn't help either.

Schulz didn't beat Botha, Botha outboxed him and then the fight was changed to an NC when Botha oddly tested positive for steroids.

So it's still Schulz, but maybe Botha has a partial claim to be linear champ

I think HomicideHenry is right. Foreman openly admitted to skipping on the best opponents, and given the chance to finally get this 48-year-old out of the mix I think the boxing commission took it. It was a bogus decision but then so was the Schulz one.

As for Briggs, too harsh Duodenum. I think the fight with Lewis and the stunning finale to Liakhovich will be remembered just as much with Briggs as the dodgy Foreman victory.
Good thing Moorer beat them both then Hmmm does this all make Moorer an underrated HW?
PowerPuncher is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum