Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 08-01-2009, 11:18 PM   #1
DeckO

vCash: 1000
Default PLEASE HELP! Looking for a good gym in NEW YORK CITY!!

I'm 21, I live in the Bronx, in New York and I'm very serious about becoming a pro. It's been a dream of mine ever since I was a little kid. I've prolonged it long enough and I've spent 3 months looking on the net and driving around to random gyms in the area. My problem is I am a student, so I got absolutely no money. I heard there are free gyms around, but I don't know where to find them. I checked the NY gyms and clubs page, and still nothing........I am willing to travel to westchester, long island, etc. I'm determined in finding a place to get started. Any help here would be appreciated.
DeckO is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-2009, 11:56 PM   #2
TheRock49
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Default Re: PLEASE HELP! Looking for a good gym in NEW YORK CITY!!

No boxing experience and you are already eager to be a pro... Don't you think you sould make sure you dont cry like a frenchy when you take your first straight to the mouth before you put your eggs in that basket? If the "free" gyms are anything like they were in Milwaukee, be prepared to lose some teeth. You had a pair of gloves per every three guys, little to no protective equipment, and about 60% of the people there, are there due to court orders and the "gloves not guns" thing. Not to be a jerk but with no boxing experience, I would wet your feet first before diving into that college boy.
TheRock49 is offline  Top
Old 08-02-2009, 12:12 AM   #3
DeckO

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRock49 View Post
No boxing experience and you are already eager to be a pro... Don't you think you sould make sure you dont cry like a frenchy when you take your first straight to the mouth before you put your eggs in that basket? If the "free" gyms are anything like they were in Milwaukee, be prepared to lose some teeth. You had a pair of gloves per every three guys, little to no protective equipment, and about 60% of the people there, are there due to court orders and the "gloves not guns" thing. Not to be a jerk but with no boxing experience, I would wet your feet first before diving into that college boy.
Not at all, I appreciate the advice, but how would you say I should get my "feet wet"? By the way, this isn't coming from just watching it on TV and thinking it's cool. I know getting hit sucks, and I'm fine with losing teeth, break bones, etc. I'm not rushing, I'll take my time in the gym and what not. I am EXTREMELY determined and I'll regret it for the rest of my life if I don't at least try it at a competitive level. And regret is worst than pain..... But yeah, if you have any ideas of how to start out, I'm all ears. I'll be on these forums all day so any help will be appreciated.
DeckO is offline  Top
Old 08-02-2009, 12:30 AM   #4
TheRock49
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I dont mean to discourage you or anything, it's most likely the gin talking. I'm upset about the Cambell/Bradley fight earlier... I just feel you're setting the bar rather high to start off. Aim for winning your first Amatuer fight for now and go from there. Hell, if you're from the Bronx and not just having moved there, I have a feeling you've been in a fight before and know whats up with giving and recieving hits. As for gyms in that area I can't really help ya. If you're even in Wisconsin or North Carolina, be sure to holler though. If it's a monetary issue, I know the couple of gyms I've fought for have let people come there "under the table" so to speak. The one I'm at now my trainer lets a brother come in for free just to stay outta trouble (not working though) and my old gym the owner would let several people come and they would pay him what they could when they could. If you get something like that worked out though make sure you dont show up a week later with a new pair of Grant gloves or anything. I would just maybe talk to a couple of the club owners/trainers and explain your situation. Start by saying that "I'll regret it for the rest of my life if I don't at least try it at a competitive level" instead of "I wanna be like Mike."
TheRock49 is offline  Top
Old 08-02-2009, 12:57 AM   #5
DeckO

Quote:
I dont mean to discourage you or anything, it's most likely the gin talking. I'm upset about the Cambell/Bradley fight earlier... I just feel you're setting the bar rather high to start off. Aim for winning your first Amatuer fight for now and go from there. Hell, if you're from the Bronx and not just having moved there, I have a feeling you've been in a fight before and know whats up with giving and recieving hits. As for gyms in that area I can't really help ya. If you're even in Wisconsin or North Carolina, be sure to holler though. If it's a monetary issue, I know the couple of gyms I've fought for have let people come there "under the table" so to speak. The one I'm at now my trainer lets a brother come in for free just to stay outta trouble (not working though) and my old gym the owner would let several people come and they would pay him what they could when they could. If you get something like that worked out though make sure you dont show up a week later with a new pair of Grant gloves or anything. I would just maybe talk to a couple of the club owners/trainers and explain your situation. Start by saying that "I'll regret it for the rest of my life if I don't at least try it at a competitive level" instead of "I wanna be like Mike."
Haha, definitely man. Yeah, I was born here. I've been in a few fights, been jumped a few time too, haha. That's awesome, I'll give it a shot. I appreciate it a lot bro. This opened some more doors for me, thanks! hopefully some NY heads come in with some exclusive gym recommendations and I can get started ASAP, I'm not getting any younger
DeckO is offline  Top
Old 08-02-2009, 12:59 AM   #6
boxingwizard
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
He reminds me a lot of myself, except a little more impatient. I definitely want at least 50 or so amateur fights before I even consider going pro, but I know I need to take it slow also. By the way I was in North Carolina last week, I was at the Cherokee Reservation for a couple hours, then I went back over the mountains to Tennessee.
boxingwizard is offline  Top
Old 08-03-2009, 01:15 AM   #7
evan_bod
Journeyman

Gleason's gym is probably the closest. It is also one of the best known/oldest around, where many famous pros have gone to train.
evan_bod is offline  Top
Old 08-03-2009, 02:24 AM   #8
DeckO

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan_bod View Post
Gleason's gym is probably the closest. It is also one of the best known/oldest around, where many famous pros have gone to train.
Is that the one in Brooklyn? Any idea on the rates?

Thanks!
DeckO is offline  Top
Old 08-03-2009, 11:47 AM   #9
jordaw
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

use the PAL. I know some great fighters who have used the PAL in the south bronx. if you dont know what that is its the police athletic league and its free. i myself use a PAL in jersey city. The PAL i would recommend you to go to is at 991 longwood avenue. the trainers and fighters there are great and once again it is really cheap.
jordaw is offline  Top
Old 08-03-2009, 08:32 PM   #10
DeckO

I heard about the PAL. Do they have an age limit by the way? I heard somewhere that 21 is the cut off, so I didn't look much into it. This sounds promising, anymore info would be appreciated!
DeckO is offline  Top
Old 08-03-2009, 10:14 PM   #11
Kolya
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeckO View Post
I heard about the PAL. Do they have an age limit by the way? I heard somewhere that 21 is the cut off, so I didn't look much into it. This sounds promising, anymore info would be appreciated!
Well, I know most PALs do amateur boxing, and the cutoff to boxi n amateur boxing is 35 (then you become a masters). They might have different rates for adults though.
Kolya is offline  Top
Old 08-04-2009, 06:31 PM   #12
southpaw jab
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1533

Save up some loot and go to Gleason's.
southpaw jab is offline  Top
Old 08-04-2009, 06:44 PM   #13
Kolya
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by southpaw jab View Post
Save up some loot and go to Gleason's.

Why though? Why pay a bunch of money to go somewhere where you might not even get much training because it has a name; when you could go to a gym closer, that's smaller, and is more actively producing fighters.
Kolya is offline  Top
Old 08-05-2009, 01:39 AM   #14
evalistinho
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 5461

PALs are the way to go IMO. They are cheaper and i feel a more personal relationship with my trainer than the bigger more expensive gyms.
evalistinho is offline  Top
Old 08-05-2009, 04:05 AM   #15
LeonardLeroy
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Salinas at the Harlem PAL is my hero.
LeonardLeroy is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing