Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 08-05-2009, 02:40 PM   #16
DeckO

vCash: 1000
Default Re: PLEASE HELP! Looking for a good gym in NEW YORK CITY!!

Thanks guys, I'll definitely check out my local PAL!
DeckO is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-2009, 01:06 AM   #17
TheNewGatti
USA Boxing Metro

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeckO View Post
I'm 21, I live in the Bronx, in New York and I'm very serious about becoming a pro. It's been a dream of mine ever since I was a little kid. I've prolonged it long enough and I've spent 3 months looking on the net and driving around to random gyms in the area. My problem is I am a student, so I got absolutely no money. I heard there are free gyms around, but I don't know where to find them. I checked the NY gyms and clubs page, and still nothing........I am willing to travel to westchester, long island, etc. I'm determined in finding a place to get started. Any help here would be appreciated.
wassup man.. i fight with the Yonkers PAL andf its a free gym.. but if u have no experience at 21 years old they wont take you .. Morris Park gym is a good club in the Bronx it might cost you some dough but maybe train there for a year or so and get some experience and then come to a PAL with som experience
TheNewGatti is offline  Top
Old 08-09-2009, 02:04 AM   #18
DeckO

That's cool. Where in Yonkers is it? I live uptown Bronx, by the Yonkers border. Morris park is descent, I've checked it out before, but same case, can't really afford it. How do I know when I have enough experience to go to the Yonkers PAL?
DeckO is offline  Top
Old 08-09-2009, 02:09 AM   #19
TheNewGatti
USA Boxing Metro

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeckO View Post
That's cool. Where in Yonkers is it? I live uptown Bronx, by the Yonkers border. Morris park is descent, I've checked it out before, but same case, can't really afford it. How do I know when I have enough experience to go to the Yonkers PAL?

do what i did... i wanted to get into boxing when i was 19 and i called yonkers pal and they deaded me .. i didnt start until last april but i was living out in queens and i went to a gym out there that was pretty pricey .. i got about 8 months exp. there was doing alot of sparring i came back to yonkers and i told them i was fight ready and they took me .. im 2-0 now and i got a tournament this week..

its a good gym but u gotta work hard.. if the trainers see u just coming in and going thru the motions then taking 2 weeks off coming back for a couple days back and forth they aint gonna waste time with you

the yonkers pal is right outside getty square on north broadway
Old 08-09-2009, 11:16 AM   #20
DeckO

Great, I'll see what I can do. I'm definitely ready to work hard. I started running recently, I figured I'd get started so by the time I land in a gym, I'm half way conditioned. I live like 5 minutes from getty square, so this is perfect for me. I'll check around and see if I can get something very cheap or something. Congrats on your wins, and good luck in the tournament!
DeckO is offline  Top
Old 08-12-2009, 06:54 PM   #21
Duhswag
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Icon View Post
Check out Church Street Boxing Gym. That's where I train and I love it.
The trinity gym? I work right by the WFC so I see it when I walk to the 1 train. I occasionally will stop by the window and check out what kind of work the people in there are up to since that gym has somewhat of a high reputation (with Cotto training there prior his Clottey fight).

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonardLeroy View Post
Salinas at the Harlem PAL is my hero.
YOOOO he used to train me and my brother back when I was a little kid! and Pete but apparently Pete is out there mixing it in with the referees in the professional rankings now lol. 119 in manhattan ave baby down the stairs into the basement by the dance studio.

Now in regards to the started of this thread. I box (well used to and planning on returning soon because I NEED to be in the golden gloves this year) at Morris Park boxing club. Theres alot! of good gyms you could look into but I'll be pretty biased towards my club and trainer Lupin =p

Numerous PAL'S have good gyms. . Theres Gleasons gym, Kingsway, Trinity. . There is tons of GOOD gyms in New York it is just the matter of searching for them.
Duhswag is offline  Top
Old 08-14-2009, 12:05 PM   #22
DeckO

I've looked at all those gyms, but I really have no money for ANY of them. My parents are on public assistance and I am a full time student. So I am trying to figure out a way to start boxing with all the huge expenses. That's my biggest concern. I'm as poor as they get, haha.
DeckO is offline  Top
Old 08-15-2009, 03:22 AM   #23
TheNewGatti
USA Boxing Metro

yo if u really really wanan box.. come by th eyonkers pal and tell sal the head trainer that u been training in the city at some gym .. he may just think the trainers u got sucked out there and start u form the basics..
Old 08-16-2009, 12:40 PM   #24
jordaw
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

I dont think all of PAL's will deny you if you dont have enough experience. Check out some other PAL's and see if you can use them. The PAL I use in jersey city lets anyone come and try out boxing.
jordaw is offline  Top
Old 08-19-2009, 07:20 AM   #25
DeckO

Sounds like a plan, I'll check out some boxing video and maybe read more threads so I'll at least sound believable if I go, haha. I guess going down there and giving it a shot won't hurt. It's by Getty Square?

Also, Jordaw, how far into Jersey is your PAL? If all else fails, I guess I'll have to put in that 8 bucks for the GW. I'd definitely like to check it out too. I'm going to keep searching as well.
DeckO is offline  Top
Old 08-22-2009, 04:04 PM   #26
jordaw
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

my gym is a few blocks away from the path station in journal square at jersey city. its at fairview avenue and you get to it by walking down bergen street. It has some great trainers their and which is why I go there despite the fact that it is two and a half hours away from me. if you live in nyc by the world trade center or thirty fourth street, twenty fourth street, 14 street, 9 street, or christopher street you could take the path station to journal square and walk over there so the trip will only cost you 1.75 to get on the path train. In my opinion it is a great gym but pm me if you think you want to go over there and i will tell you when its open and the address and all that.
jordaw is offline  Top
Old 08-22-2009, 07:06 PM   #27
cool-cat
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 625

would gleaons be recomended?
cool-cat is offline  Top
Old 08-28-2009, 10:12 AM   #28
DeckO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordaw View Post
my gym is a few blocks away from the path station in journal square at jersey city. its at fairview avenue and you get to it by walking down bergen street. It has some great trainers their and which is why I go there despite the fact that it is two and a half hours away from me. if you live in nyc by the world trade center or thirty fourth street, twenty fourth street, 14 street, 9 street, or christopher street you could take the path station to journal square and walk over there so the trip will only cost you 1.75 to get on the path train. In my opinion it is a great gym but pm me if you think you want to go over there and i will tell you when its open and the address and all that.
Thanks. I'll definitely let you know when I'm going to head over there. Right now my schedule is shaky. Today is the first day of classes here at school. So I'll let you know in a week or two when I'll be dropping by!

I don't hear all that great things about Gleason's. Plus, there's a crazy fee.
DeckO is offline  Top
Old 08-29-2009, 05:39 PM   #29
jordaw
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

yeah man ill take you over there when i go. which is pretty much every day so let me know.
jordaw is offline  Top
Old 12-24-2009, 06:41 PM   #30
DeckO

Well, no luck. I can't find any gyms near by.....I can't afford any transportation either, so New Jersey is out of the question. Yonkers PAL declined me when I went over there. Juan Laporte's gym has a monthly fee. I don't know where to look anymore guys. I'm not good at giving up, but this I don't know where to go from here..........
DeckO is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing