Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 09-10-2007, 03:28 PM   #16
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: PETER JACKSON V JAMES JEFFRIES prime for prime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor
There is no doubt that Jackson was a shell of his former self but I am still prepared to give Jeffries some credit for beating him in dominant fashion while himself inexperienced.

I agree that this fight dose not have much bearing on how they would have matched up at their respective bests because neither of them was close to it.
Actually I have thought about this fight a bit over the last couple of days ,and think that Jeffries would get to Jackson around the 18 th round and start to lay the heavy stuff on him ,Jeffries would be behind on points but rally to stop Jackson around the 20th round,imo.
mcvey is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-2007, 12:44 AM   #17
apollack
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Without answering the question posed, I'll say in response to some of the analysis of the Jeff-Jackson fight that DID take place that all you have to do is examine Jackson's record to realize that he was a shell of himself going into that fight. You can still look good physically and be a shell. Jackson's last legitimate fight was in 1892. Since then he was inactive except for some occasional short exhibitions. After the Corbett fight failed to happen, Jackson basically was done with boxing and was more of a coach and occasional exhibitor than anything. He also took up drinking. SIX YEARS after his last fight, he took on Jeffries. That fight is as meaningless as Jeffries-Johnson. Both guys took a loss when they were done for and had no business fighting, but did it for the money.
apollack is offline  Top
Old 09-11-2007, 04:43 AM   #18
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by apollack
Without answering the question posed, I'll say in response to some of the analysis of the Jeff-Jackson fight that DID take place that all you have to do is examine Jackson's record to realize that he was a shell of himself going into that fight. You can still look good physically and be a shell. Jackson's last legitimate fight was in 1892. Since then he was inactive except for some occasional short exhibitions. After the Corbett fight failed to happen, Jackson basically was done with boxing and was more of a coach and occasional exhibitor than anything. He also took up drinking. SIX YEARS after his last fight, he took on Jeffries. That fight is as meaningless as Jeffries-Johnson. Both guys took a loss when they were done for and had no business fighting, but did it for the money.
We agree but Jeffries boosters want to claim it as a meritorious victory ,it would be like me ,[a Johnson fan]saying his ko of an ancient Bob Fitzsimmons was creditable,even Johnson said that Fitz was finished,and took no credit for it.
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 09-11-2007, 07:28 AM   #19
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvey
We agree but Jeffries boosters want to claim it as a meritorious victory ,it would be like me ,[a Johnson fan]saying his ko of an ancient Bob Fitzsimmons was creditable,even Johnson said that Fitz was finished,and took no credit for it.
Here's the differnce. When a green up and coming fighter faces a past his prime older champion, there is no gurantee on the outcome.

Johnson was a a champion in his prime when he meet Jeffries and it took him 15 rounds to win. Jeffries had less than ten recorded fights when he meet Jackson, yet he won eaisly in three rounds. There is the diffrence.

If Jeffries took 15 rounds to win, then he could still play the green card. I don't think Jeffries beating Jackson ranks among his best 7 wins.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 09-11-2007, 11:43 AM   #20
apollack
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Agree with your premise generally/in the abstract, because you are correct that an old vet past his prime can often school a young-un. However, in this specific situation, we are talking a really old vet against a not so green fighter. Jackson was inactive in serious fights for SIX YEARS. He was 37 years old in an era where that was ancient.

Also, Jeff wasn't quite that green. Less than ten fights back then was actually a pretty fair amount of experience because these guys were fighting legit fights, tough fighters, in lengthy bouts. Jeff had obtained a wealth of experience sparring world champion Corbett nearly every day for 2-3 weeks in early 1897, over a year prior. He had fought two 20 round fights - with Choynski and Ruhlin, and had a quick KO over Joe Goddard one month prior - Feb 1898 - to fighting Jackson. Goddard was an experienced veteran who had given Jackson a tough 8-round fight way back in 1890.
apollack is offline  Top
Old 09-11-2007, 12:37 PM   #21
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendoza
Here's the differnce. When a green up and coming fighter faces a past his prime older champion, there is no gurantee on the outcome.

Johnson was a a champion in his prime when he meet Jeffries and it took him 15 rounds to win. Jeffries had less than ten recorded fights when he meet Jackson, yet he won eaisly in three rounds. There is the diffrence.

If Jeffries took 15 rounds to win, then he could still play the green card. I don't think Jeffries beating Jackson ranks among his best 7 wins.
No comment.
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 09-11-2007, 02:30 PM   #22
C. M. Clay II
Manassah's finest!
ESB Senior Member

Since a green Jeffries destroyed him in the matter that he did, prime for prime I would say Jeffries stops him late.
C. M. Clay II is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum