Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 09-10-2007, 08:49 AM   #1
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Louis Galento the interview

Proof if any were needed that Tony Galento was a boxing god. All three parts.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]=

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
janitor is offline  Top
Old 09-10-2007, 09:23 AM   #2
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Default Re: Louis Galento the interview

"Were you a dirty fighter?"

"Wait a minute now...I was a very clean fighter! If I but you on the face...if your face butt's my head, I apologise!"

"Is it true you wore pads on your elbows in sparring?"

"...you could call it that..."

McGrain is offline  Top
Old 09-10-2007, 09:39 AM   #3
Sweet Science
Peaceful Muslim Warrior
ESB Senior Member

I haven't seen much of Galento. How good do you guys think he would he have been if he'd have trained properly and lived a clean life?
Sweet Science is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-2007, 10:03 AM   #4
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Science
I haven't seen much of Galento. How good do you guys think he would he have been if he'd have trained properly and lived a clean life?
He was able to rise to the position of No1 contender while training on beer and spagheti so you have to conclude that he could really have been something if he had taken his training seriously.

Galento is often used to disparage Louis but the truth is that he was one of the better fighters of that period. He set himself up for a title shot with eleven back to back knockouts including wins over Al Ettore, Lorenzo Pack, Leroy Haynes, Charlie Massera and Nathan Mann.
janitor is offline  Top
Old 09-10-2007, 10:08 AM   #5
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Maybe better, maybe worse, it's always hard to say. Sometimes the man makes the boxing rather than the other way around. Take 20 pounds of him, for example, and that crouching/lunging style probably becomes a lot less awkward. I'm sure there are things that could have been done to improve him though, as you say.

Galento was a good fighter in my opinion, a decent contender. He'd have been that in any era but nor, in my opinion, would he ever step above that level and become champion.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 09-10-2007, 10:11 AM   #6
Luigi1985
Cane Corso
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor
He was able to rise to the position of No1 contender while training on beer and spagheti so you have to conclude that he could really have been something if he had taken his training seriously.

Galento is often used to disparage Louis but the truth is that he was one of the better fighters of that period. He set himself up for a title shot with eleven back to back knockouts including wins over Al Ettore, Lorenzo Pack, Leroy Haynes, Charlie Massera and Nathan Mann.
Another pretty impressive win was over my countryman DeKuh, a very big HW, he KOŽd him brutally with a monster hook...

If he would have taken his training seriously, he could have been something special...
Luigi1985 is offline  Top
Old 09-10-2007, 10:35 AM   #7
Sweet Science
Peaceful Muslim Warrior
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor

Thanks for that janitor,much appreciated. What a character he was.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:40 AM   #8
Sweet Science
Peaceful Muslim Warrior
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain
Maybe better, maybe worse, it's always hard to say. Sometimes the man makes the boxing rather than the other way around. Take 20 pounds of him, for example, and that crouching/lunging style probably becomes a lot less awkward. I'm sure there are things that could have been done to improve him though, as you say.

Galento was a good fighter in my opinion, a decent contender. He'd have been that in any era but nor, in my opinion, would he ever step above that level and become champion.
Thanks McGrain interesting opinion. I understand maybe if he wasn't as big it would have taken something away from his unorthodox lumbering style. Either way he sounds like a real character. I was thinking of getting the book: 'Two Ton' have you read it?
Old 09-10-2007, 10:45 AM   #9
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
I personally feel that a fighter is always better when he's well trained and in top shape. The issue with Galento, however is that his fighting style went hand in hand with a streetfighter/bar Brawler's type strategy. I don't know how he'd do with a more orthadox type technique.
mr. magoo is offline  Top
Old 09-10-2007, 10:50 AM   #10
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
I was thinking of getting the book: 'Two Ton' have you read it?

I haven't. It would be some read, no doubt.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 09-10-2007, 12:43 PM   #11
C. M. Clay II
Manassah's finest!
ESB Senior Member

Lol at the toupe he has on!
C. M. Clay II is offline  Top
Old 09-10-2007, 01:49 PM   #12
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru

Sometimes, an intense training regimen can grind down a body, and sap it of energy. As heavy as Two-Ton was, this could have been structurally detrimental. As short as Galento was, his bulk seemed to be essential to his ability to muster tremendous force behind his hook.
Duodenum is offline  Top
Old 09-10-2007, 02:24 PM   #13
Dempsey1238
Champion
East Side Guru

Don Dunpry had nothing on Bill Corum imo.
Dempsey1238 is offline  Top
Old 09-10-2007, 02:28 PM   #14
ChrisPontius
March 8th, 1971
East Side Guru

vCash: 238

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. magoo
I personally feel that a fighter is always better when he's well trained and in top shape. The issue with Galento, however is that his fighting style went hand in hand with a streetfighter/bar Brawler's type strategy. I don't know how he'd do with a more orthadox type technique.
Agreed. Galento could lose a few pounds, but he's simply a big man and if you make him slim, he'll be a puncher without punch.

He's a bit like Tua. Those kind of fighters are just built like that and it optimizes their style. They'll never be on their toe's doing a shuffle.

On top of that, conditioning was not really the reason Louis beat him to a bloody mess. That was a great fight though, one of my favorites in fact.
ChrisPontius is offline  Top
Old 09-10-2007, 02:30 PM   #15
Dempsey1238
Champion
East Side Guru

True it only lasted 4 rounds. Toney could go ten rounds, He had underrated stimia.
Dempsey1238 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum