Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 08-02-2009, 06:17 PM   #1
Muchmoore

vCash:
Default Big John Tate

What's Classics opinion on him?

Pretty good fighter, I'm watching some of his fights right now and he's impressing me. He was beating Weaver who is no slouch until getting caught in the last round, looks like he never recovered after that tough loss. What happened against Berbick?
Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2009, 06:31 PM   #2
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Big John Tate

I watched most of the available clips of the Weaver fight too, and yes he was an impressive physical specimen as well as a decent boxer. I'd like to see his fight with Coetzee someday if time and opportunity ever provides. As for what happened against Berbick, that fight is also on youtube. Trevor just nailed him at the right time. I don't know if it had anything to do with Tate still being rattled by the Weaver loss or what, but John was basically done after that.
mr. magoo is offline  Top
Old 08-02-2009, 06:44 PM   #3
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 765

I saw him lose to Noel Quarless... It was not pretty! The truth is he never got over the Weaver fight, and the Berbick fight totally blew any confidence he had himself.

It is a little sad that he choose to fight in South Africa in the late 70s, but he was clearly not without ability during the period beating primed Knoetze and Coetzee.

Took out Bobick inside a round and beat the dangerous punching (and then unbeaten) Mercado too boot. Tate was worthy of his piece of alphabet crap, and was rightly second only to Holmes going into the Weaver fight.

Last edited by TBooze; 03-07-2013 at 05:00 PM.
TBooze is offline  Top
Old 08-02-2009, 06:51 PM   #4
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

It really is a shame that he got careless in the Weaver fight. I guess we can sort of place that one in the same category as Chavez Taylor. Had he survived the final round, he might have gotten a decent payday against Holmes, as I've heard the fight was in the works for sometime in 1981. Also, he just couldn't stay out of trouble outside the ring. He was a drug user and a criminal which will **** up basically any career.
Old 08-02-2009, 06:56 PM   #5
Muchmoore

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. magoo View Post
He was a drug user and a criminal which will **** up basically any career.
Story of the 80's Heavyweights, excepting Holmes.

Wow, didn't even realize he beat Mercado, that's a good win especially considering he was 20-0. I'll have to take a look at the Berbick KO on youtube

Had Tate hung on against Weaver, a fight with Holmes would of been interesting. Would of been one of Holmes best wins.
Old 08-02-2009, 07:00 PM   #6
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muchmoore View Post

Had Tate hung on against Weaver, a fight with Holmes would of been interesting. Would of been one of Holmes best wins.
I agree completely. Tate was undefeated, a former olympic medalist, and a large fit specimen in the prime of his career. Tate was the kind of win that Holmes needed more of.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:24 AM   #7
jont
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

i think that Carl Williams and Weaver were not influenced by the drugs and did not seem to be out of shape when it came to fighting....i guess Berbick was also not a druggie...
jont is offline  Top
Old 08-03-2009, 01:32 AM   #8
MRBILL
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I just hate it when a fighter becomes totally destroyed over one single KO loss........... That happened to Tate............. The KO loss to Weaver ruined Tate......... The follow-up KO loss to Berbick was the icing on the cake............ Christ, Ol' Tate fell hard and fast............... He was suppose to fight Larry Holmes in 1983; thank Christ that fight never took place........... Cheers.......

MR.BILL
MRBILL is offline  Top
Old 08-03-2009, 02:28 AM   #9
mochabuzz
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
What happened against Berbick?
I've seen the fight several times... Berbick slugged him with a few good blows and then punched tate in the back of the head as he was running away/Falling down.
mochabuzz is offline  Top
Old 08-03-2009, 10:21 AM   #10
Muchmoore

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jont View Post
i think that Carl Williams and Weaver were not influenced by the drugs
That's the big reason why big Mike had the success he had. He actually stayed in good shape and was focused. He didn't have the natural ability of Tubbs, Tate, Thomas, Dokes etc. but nonetheless carved out a nice career because he didn't fall into drugs, it's a shame the other alphabet titlists didn't have his motivation.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:40 AM   #11
la-califa
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
That's the big reason why big Mike had the success he had. He actually stayed in good shape and was focused. He didn't have the natural ability of Tubbs, Tate, Thomas, Dokes etc. but nonetheless carved out a nice career because he didn't fall into drugs, it's a shame the other alphabet titlists didn't have his motivation.
Wasn't Weaver known to be a weightlifter during training for fights? Which is usually considered a no-no. Worked for him though.
la-califa is offline  Top
Old 08-03-2009, 01:04 PM   #12
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by la-califa View Post
Wasn't Weaver known to be a weightlifter during training for fights? Which is usually considered a no-no. Worked for him though.

I think that part of his physique may also have been genetic, but in those days, yes. Excessive weight training was viewed as counter productive in training. Today, is a different story.
Old 08-03-2009, 01:28 PM   #13
godking
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
True most of the 80s HWS could have been long reigning champions with the right motivation. The 80s talent wise was the greatest HW era. Motivation wise it was the poorest HW era .
godking is offline  Top
Old 08-03-2009, 04:00 PM   #14
My2Sense
Champion
East Side Guru

He was OK.
My2Sense is offline  Top
Old 08-03-2009, 06:19 PM   #15
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 765

Quote:
Originally Posted by jont View Post
i think that Carl Williams and Weaver were not influenced by the drugs and did not seem to be out of shape when it came to fighting....i guess Berbick was also not a druggie...
I think Williams developed a drug habit, that blew any money he had, to the point he became security guard to help make ends meet.

I believe Gerry Cooney's organization helped sort him out.
TBooze is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum