Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

View Poll Results: Lewis vs Frazier who wins?
Lewis 66 69.47%
Frazier 29 30.53%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-12-2007, 04:32 PM   #61
TIGEREDGE
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Lennox Lewis vs Joe Frazier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Science
I can already hear most people saying "this is a bad match up for Frazier" Lewis knocks him out. I believe the opposite Frazier KO's Lewis.

What do you think who wins?
**** the weight difference, if JF lands his smoking left, its lights out for lennox

I see this fight being like the ray mercer fight. very close but could go over way. over 12 rounds, i fancy lewis. over 15, i fancy joe
TIGEREDGE is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2007, 06:12 PM   #62
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGEREDGE
**** the weight difference, if JF lands his smoking left, its lights out for lennox

I see this fight being like the ray mercer fight. very close but could go over way. over 12 rounds, i fancy lewis. over 15, i fancy joe
A great puncher such as Joe Frazier would always have a puncher's chance against anyone. The problem here, is that its very difficult to place the odds in favour of a fighter on the basis of a possible lucky punch landing at the right time and place. I would never count out Frazier in any matchup, but if it comes down to weighing out all the elements and possibilites, I'd have to place my vote heavily in favour of Lennox Lewis. While Frazier certainly had a deadly left hook and tremendous handspeed and workrate, Lewis possesed quite a few more qualities, as well as physical advantages.

Again though, we'll never know for sure.
mr. magoo is online now  Top
Old 09-12-2007, 06:41 PM   #63
Doppleganger
Il Genio
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 800

Quote:
See, this is the type of emotional response that completely ignores styles, mindsets and actual results. If what you said was true, why was it that Mike Tyson and David Tua both failed to budge Lewis when they landed full blooded left hooks? Unless of course you believe that the Frazier left hook is a harder single shot than the Tyson or Tua left hook?

Well, do you believe that?

IMO the only way that Frazier knocks out Lewis is if Lewis takes Frazier lightly. I, for one, just don't see that happening. Lewis never got knocked out/down against the top fighters/punchers he faced. IMO, the hardest single shot puncher that Lewis faced was Frank Bruno, and he didn't even wobble Lewis. Bruno, for comparative purposes, wobbled and nearly floored a near prime Mike Tyson in the first round.
Doppleganger is offline  Top
Old 09-12-2007, 06:53 PM   #64
Vanboxingfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. magoo
A great puncher such as Joe Frazier would always have a puncher's chance against anyone. The problem here, is that its very difficult to place the odds in favour of a fighter on the basis of a possible lucky punch landing at the right time and place. I would never count out Frazier in any matchup, but if it comes down to weighing out all the elements and possibilites, I'd have to place my vote heavily in favour of Lennox Lewis. While Frazier certainly had a deadly left hook and tremendous handspeed and workrate, Lewis possesed quite a few more qualities, as well as physical advantages.

Again though, we'll never know for sure.
Good post. If I were setting odds I'd probably make it about 65%-35% for Lewis. So yes, Frazier could win but he wouldn't have much more than a punchers chance. But if Lewis never had those two blemishes on his record it would likely be 75%-25% for Lewis, perhaps even higher, because he'd have damn near every conceivable advantgage one could possibly want.
Vanboxingfan is online now  Top
Old 09-12-2007, 09:27 PM   #65
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:

Why do you think all frazier has to do is land his hook and the fight will be over? Frazier had 37 fights and stopeed 27 men ,but of those stopped Chuvalo was on his feet stopped with facial damage,Bonavena went the distance twice without going down,Quarry was stopped twice on his feet Mathis went 11 rounds before falling an d bugner went the distance with Frazier,the best fighters Frazier actually put down for 10 were Ellis ,kod in 1 by Shavers ,and Foster who was 25 lbs lighter,Frazier put a comebacking Ali down in the lst round of their first fight but was never able to duplicate that feat. Lewis was stopped twice by right hands ,not Fraziers strongest suit,if there is a stoppage its more than likely to be Joe on the deck,imo.
mcvey is online now  Top
Old 09-12-2007, 09:40 PM   #66
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyn1550
His left hook is surely hard as hell
Apart form Ellis ,retired by Dundee on his stool and a ko victim of Hurricane Carter,and stopped in one by Shavers,and Foster 25 lbs lighter,who had been stopped by Jones and Terrell ,which top heavy did frazier actually ko? QUarry was on his feet at the end of both fights ,so was Bonavena, and Bugner, Mathis went 11 rds before being worn down,old Scrap iron johnson went the distance with Frazier.and in three fights with Ali , Frazier was only able to put the comebacking Ali down once ,in the last round of their first fight.
mcvey is online now  Top
Old 09-12-2007, 09:43 PM   #67
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senya13
Several other fighters needed just one punch on a still fresh (not worn down after 14 rounds of hell) Ali to put him on the canvas.
In 61 fights Ali was only legitimately dropped three times ,Banks , Cooper ,and Frazier.thats hardly several.
mcvey is online now  Top
Old 09-12-2007, 09:44 PM   #68
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvey
Why do you think all frazier has to do is land his hook and the fight will be over? Frazier had 37 fights and stopeed 27 men ,but of those stopped Chuvalo was on his feet stopped with facial damage,Bonavena went the distance twice without going down,Quarry was stopped twice on his feet Mathis went 11 rounds before falling an d bugner went the distance with Frazier,the best fighters Frazier actually put down for 10 were Ellis ,kod in 1 by Shavers ,and Foster who was 25 lbs lighter,Frazier put a comebacking Ali down in the lst round of their first fight but was never able to duplicate that feat. Lewis was stopped twice by right hands ,not Fraziers strongest suit,if there is a stoppage its more than likely to be Joe on the deck,imo.
Good points,

a lot of people fail to acknowledge the fact that Lewis, while being stopped on a mere two occasions in his career, also showed great durability in surviving the power of many big hitters. Razor Ruddock, Vitali Klitschko, Andrew Golata, Michael Grant, Frank Bruno, Tommy Morrison and Gary Mason were all big men capable of banging. Although I have the utmost of respect for Joe Frazier, and would never accuse him of having a glass chin, he really didn't test his durability against that many sluggers. The only hard hitter who comes to mind is George Foreman, whom he couldn't withstand. The rest of the lot include Quarry, Bonavena, Ali, Ellis, Machen, Chuvalo, Stander, Bugner and few other decent fighters, but none who could really prove a real knockout threat.
mr. magoo is online now  Top
Old 09-13-2007, 12:06 AM   #69
Senya13
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1210

Quote:
In 61 fights Ali was only legitimately dropped three times ,Banks , Cooper ,and Frazier.thats hardly several.
I was counting Alan Hudson also, from the 1960 GG finals.
Senya13 is offline  Top
Old 09-13-2007, 01:28 PM   #70
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Quote:

This is how I see it. Frazier was a predictable offensive fighter with one great weapon, but little versatile or power in the other punches. While Frazier had a great hook, it was not a devastating knock out blow. Frazier typically had to grind his men down to stop them. Foreman badly defeated Frazier. If you ask me Lewis has the better skills and faster hands...and hits just as hard as Foreman did. Lewis was nailed mostly with right crosses, not left hooks. Frazier was not known for his right cross. Tough match up for Frazier.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 09-20-2007, 12:12 AM   #71
anut
Belt holder
ESB Addict

i dont know man.....look how bad lewis looked against lionel butler
anut is offline  Top
Old 09-20-2007, 03:07 AM   #72
Cojimar 1945
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Bruno failed to score any kayos against the divisions elite so Lewis not getting knocked down by him does not seem terribly surprising.
Cojimar 1945 is offline  Top
Old 09-21-2007, 06:15 PM   #73
Zakman
ESB's Chinchecker
East Side VIP

vCash: 588

Smokin' Joe takes him out. If mediocre fighters like McCall and Rahman could, an ATG like Frazier should have no problem turning the trick here!
Zakman is offline  Top
Old 09-21-2007, 07:05 PM   #74
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakman
Smokin' Joe takes him out. If mediocre fighters like McCall and Rahman could, an ATG like Frazier should have no problem turning the trick here!
Frazier met one really big puncher ,and was stopped both times,Lewis isnt perfect but he could hit very hard,Isee him koing Joe.
mcvey is online now  Top
Old 09-22-2007, 07:09 AM   #75
ChrisPontius
March 8th, 1971
East Side Guru

vCash: 238

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakman

I knew we could count on you!

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
ChrisPontius is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum