boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing > Training Logs

Old 08-05-2009, 08:52 AM   #1
Jerry
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000
Post Jerry's training log.

Ok I'm posting this training log for accountability and motivation! My goals are to work up to running a 5k, then to improve the time to >30 mins, followed by moving on to an 8k and then a half-marathon. Weight loss will hopefully be a secondary goal I will achieve. When I can run 5k this may also become a food log.

Training goals are on a week-by-week basis, but there will be improvement each week. There will be at least two rest days per week.

Here are my stats at the start of this training. I began around 7 days ago.

Height: 5'10
Weight: 350 pounds.
Body Type: Fat.
Best ever 5k: 30 minutes.
Longest distance ever ran: 10 miles.
Best time/distance weight: 320/330 pounds.

As you can see I've ran before, but haven't been below 300 pounds since high-school. It's been a year since I've ran and I'm trying to ease my way back into it.

Last week I focused on running .6 of a mile, and walking the rest of 3.
My track is .6 miles around, so 5 times around = 3 miles. Almost 5k. I told myself that I wasn't going to start a training log until I could run a full mile.

So I did that all last week, took 2 days off. On my two days off I ended up swimming at the beach, and in a pool, and walking around downtown with friends, but I did give it a rest from running.

This morning I went out and was able to run 1.2 miles, after walking .6 for warm-up. Afterward, I walked 1.2 to cool-down.

So here is the start of my training log. Thanks for reading, feel free to comment.
Jerry is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2009, 08:59 AM   #2
Jerry
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Default Re: Jerry's training log.

This weeks goals:
Run nonstop 1.2 miles daily. Walk 1.8. Total=3 miles daily.

Today:
Woke up at 5am, ate, went running.

I walked .6 miles without a hitch, sweating a bit due to being sunburned, but otherwise fine. After the .6 mile lap was completed I set off to see if I could run a full mile. About 100 yards into the first lap I developed a horrible cramp in my upper inner thigh. Had never cramped there before even when running long distances last year, so I decided it must be some sort of freak spasm and ignored it. It went away.

At the .6 mile mark I had completed one lap around my track and was severely out of breath but decided to push on a bit farther. Halfway through the second lap I broke through this a bit and found my rhythm. I completed 1.2 miles, I felt that I slowed a little in the last quarter mile though. I then walked another 1.2 miles to cool down. Great thing though: After about 1 minute of walking I was completely recovered and breathing normally. I felt that I could run again, but I'm committed to a slow start on this to avoid injury so I stuck to the walking.
Jerry is offline  Top
Old 08-05-2009, 09:33 AM   #3
Southboyuk
Journeyman

good job on your first day man, i dont know if im suppose to messege in here, so ill proberly drop off comments then delete them as you go, but if your really proper serious grab yourself a stopwatch and a heart rate moniter.
Southboyuk is offline  Top
Old 08-05-2009, 09:58 AM   #4
Jerry
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southboyuk View Post
good job on your first day man, i dont know if im suppose to messege in here, so ill proberly drop off comments then delete them as you go, but if your really proper serious grab yourself a stopwatch and a heart rate moniter.
Thanks, as far as I know you can leave messages here. Welcome to ESB by the way
Jerry is offline  Top
Old 08-05-2009, 02:01 PM   #5
Southboyuk
Journeyman

cheers, i posted in your other topic to, but this is my first log post. Keep us posted best of luck to you
Southboyuk is offline  Top
Old 08-06-2009, 11:27 PM   #6
Jerry
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Whew, severe lightning storm here today. Didn't run. I think I needed one more day anyway.
Jerry is offline  Top
Old 08-09-2009, 09:45 PM   #7
Jerry
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

8/09/2009

Walked 1.2 miles.
Ran 1.2 miles.
Walked .6 miles.

On 08/07/2009 I spent all day hand loading steel rails and riding a shovel.

My weight has gone up to 355 pounds since I started exercising. Of course I expected it to go up initially, but if it fluctuates higher than 5 pounds I'll be concerned. Right now I'm only checking the scales for curiosity, my only concern is how fast and how many times I can get around that track. As soon as I'm settled into running an easy 2 miles I'll try to talk myself into dieting.
Jerry is offline  Top
Old 08-23-2009, 02:40 AM   #8
Jerry
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Sick all week, almost well. Regardless I went running today, was afraid I had lost any progress I may have made but it actually felt easier. I guess the week off let the muscles heal up some. Walked .6 of a mile then ran 1.4. Felt like I could run more but started coughing a lot so I packed it in. Still sorta sick.
Jerry is offline  Top
Old 08-23-2009, 10:19 PM   #9
Jerry
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

8/23/2009

Walked 1.4 miles, ran 1.4 miles, walked .6 miles then did some unmeasured sprinting and walking. Today was my first day this go round with the sprinting, so I just did a bit to let my body know what was coming

I'm feeling good, when I finished the second lap running I felt like I could do another. I was going to move up to 3 laps next week but I may try to do it this week. Muscle stiffness is almost nill, so I think it's gonna be heart/lungs/mind from here on out, which is what I was waiting for before I really pushed it.

Edit: Also made it to the gym later that day and put in 30 mins of bag work. Nothing too intense, I just had some things I wanted to work on.

Last edited by Jerry; 08-24-2009 at 09:13 PM.
Jerry is offline  Top
Old 08-25-2009, 08:50 AM   #10
Jerry
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

08/25/2009

Walked .6 miles, Ran 1.8 miles(added a lap), walked .6 miles, walked/sprinted .6 miles.

I'm starting to like the walk/sprint thing. I don't think it does much for my cardio but it takes me to the edge, feels like I just finished sparring a round. Gets me used to the feeling of being completely spent, recovering, then doing it again.
Jerry is offline  Top
Old 08-26-2009, 08:13 AM   #11
Jerry
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

08/26/2009

Taking today off. Supposedly I get to fight at the bar tomorrow night, resting up for that. Not getting my hopes up as last time it didn't materialize. Either way after tomorrow I add diet to this log.
Jerry is offline  Top
Old 08-28-2009, 10:51 AM   #12
Jerry
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

08/27/2009

Boxed at a club, was a lot of fun. Now I'm sore as ****, taking a day off.
Jerry is offline  Top
Old 09-01-2009, 12:23 AM   #13
Jerry
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

08/31/2009

Walked 0.6 miles, ran 1.8 miles, walked 0.6 miles, sprint/walked 0.6 miles. Watched what I ate today. I'll try to start keeping track of specifics and post them here.
Jerry is offline  Top
Old 09-22-2009, 05:56 PM   #14
Jerry
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

I've been keeping up on the running. I'm up to running 2.6 miles 3-4 times per week. Been sparring and fighting, weight is still at 355 though. I fit in heavy-bag work when I can.

I just haven't had a lot of time to post on ESB lately.
Jerry is offline  Top
Old 11-08-2009, 02:43 AM   #15
Jerry
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Ok got my ass kicked at a club fight the other night. Gotta take time off to let my brain heal. Devoting the 30-90 days out to dieting/cardio at home and boxing training in the gym.

I've never combined diet and exercise before, always been one or the other. Lets see how it goes. This is now a food log but I will update with some workout stuff too.
Jerry is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing > Training Logs