DRAW 3 2.78%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-11-2007, 03:18 PM   #46
Zakman
ESB's Chinchecker
East Side VIP

vCash: 588
Default Re: Macriano Vs Dempsey

A prime Dempsey beats Rocky up, and stops him late, probably on cuts.
Zakman is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-2007, 03:40 PM   #47
brooklyn1550
Roberto Duran
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Rocky Marciano
brooklyn1550 is offline  Top
Old 09-11-2007, 03:59 PM   #48
Maxmomer
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 619

I give up. All the facts are on our (Dempsey supporters) side, everyone who knows what they're talking about knows Dempsey would win. It all comes down to Marciano being the more popular (today), better known fighter. You hear his name more often, you see his fights more often, and that damn Sylvester Stallone didn't help matters, either. You know what, don't hold me to that whole "giving up, thing", I might not be able to help myself.

Last edited by Maxmomer; 09-11-2007 at 04:18 PM.
Maxmomer is offline  Top
Old 09-11-2007, 04:00 PM   #49
JIm Broughton
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Gotta go with Dempsey in this one. Taller with a sizeable reach advantage and greater handspeed. Power is about equal, so are the chins. In a viscious brutal war I see Jack coming out on top around the 3rd or 4th round. If you stood in front of Jack you were doomed. Tricky boxers could give Jack trouble but Rocky was not that type of fighter. Plus Rocky never faced a fighter with the raw power of Dempsey... period. This fight does not go the distance. Both men would be out for the kill,it's thier nature. And in a fight like this Dempsey wins in perhaps the most exciting and brutal fight of all time.
JIm Broughton is offline  Top
Old 09-11-2007, 04:02 PM   #50
Executioner
Belt holder
ESB Addict

50/50
Executioner is offline  Top
Old 09-11-2007, 07:51 PM   #51
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru

When pitting a great hook against a terrific right hand (both from the orthodox stance), the boxer with the superior hook generally has the advantage. The hooker can keep his right held defensively, and double, or triple up with the hand closest to his opponent. (Of course Walcott dropped Marciano with his hook.)

Dempsey had nearly a ten inch reach on Rocky, longer than those of Louis, Walcott or Charles. From his habitually low crouch, Dempsey's reach would actually be slightly magnified over what it would be if he was standing straight up, and trying to punch downward.
Duodenum is offline  Top
Old 09-11-2007, 09:48 PM   #52
OLD FOGEY
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxmomer
The first round KO against Flynn was a dive. Dempsey threw that fight. HE was never stopped, his chin was just as good as Marciano's. I have no doubt Marciano could survive the first round, but what about the second, third and foruth? by the sixth he'd be hurting, bad, and the ref would wind up stopping the fight, against Marciano's vehement protests of course.
The one man who knew, Dempsey, always swore the Flynn fight was on the level.
OLD FOGEY is offline  Top
Old 09-11-2007, 10:03 PM   #53
OLD FOGEY
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanboxingfan
What he said.

Interesting enough boxing experts in 1960 did a poll based on fighters they actually seen, and Dempsey came out way ahead of everyone, including Louis. As one historian once said, who are we to question those who had considerable boxing knowledge and actually saw both of them fight?
Both men were filmed in most of their major fights. We have all seen them fight, and we have the advantage of being able to study the films easily. This arguement might have validity if we were talking about Sullivan or perhaps Jeffries, but not Dempsey.
Secondly the poll in the early sixties was very close against Louis, although Dempsey did finish well ahead of Marciano.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:06 PM   #54
OLD FOGEY
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
I give up. All the facts are on our (Dempsey supporters) side, everyone who knows what they're talking about knows Dempsey would win. It all comes down to Marciano being the more popular (today), better known fighter. You hear his name more often, you see his fights more often, and that damn Sylvester Stallone didn't help matters, either. You know what, don't hold me to that whole "giving up, thing", I might not be able to help myself.
The closest opponent to Marciano among Dempsey's opponents in style was probably Willie Meehan, who, however, lacked power. Dempsey struggled through five four round fights with him, winning only one, losing two, and drawing two. Marciano's come forward style might in fact have been Dempsey's worst nightmare. He preferred to be the aggressor against slow moving and passive opponents such as the very old and fat Willard.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:00 PM   #55
tays001
ESB ELITE SQUAD
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:
This was discussed on the classic boxing board once before. That article is great. He wrote another article on how Marciano is overrated by a lot of people today, in it he mentions that Rocky wouldn't stand a chance against Dempsey. I like that one, too. I suggest everyone here saying Marciano would win read both articles and educate themselves.
dude your a noob what boxing knowledge do you have son
tays001 is offline  Top
Old 09-11-2007, 11:15 PM   #56
Guido
ESB Addict
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakman
A prime Dempsey beats Rocky up, and stops him late, probably on cuts.
Yep -- way more reach, and better hand/foot speed, ability, distance, and timing. He also liked to beat people up more, and Jack's after you from the first bell -- Rocky was a later starter sometimes.
Guido is offline  Top
Old 09-12-2007, 03:06 AM   #57
Maxmomer
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tays001
dude your a noob what boxing knowledge do you have son
More than you do.
Maxmomer is offline  Top
Old 09-12-2007, 03:07 AM   #58
Maxmomer
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD FOGEY
The one man who knew, Dempsey, always swore the Flynn fight was on the level.
Read Monte Cox's article on the subject and then try to argue that it wasn't a dive.

Last edited by joeburo; 06-13-2006 at 04:25 PM.
Maxmomer is offline  Top
Old 09-12-2007, 03:07 AM   #59
Maxmomer
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD FOGEY
The closest opponent to Marciano among Dempsey's opponents in style was probably Willie Meehan, who, however, lacked power. Dempsey struggled through five four round fights with him, winning only one, losing two, and drawing two. Marciano's come forward style might in fact have been Dempsey's worst nightmare. He preferred to be the aggressor against slow moving and passive opponents such as the very old and fat Willard.
Willie Meehan slapped and ran for all of their four round fights.

Last edited by Maxmomer; 09-12-2007 at 07:08 AM.
Maxmomer is offline  Top
Old 09-12-2007, 08:25 AM   #60
OLD FOGEY
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Read Monte Cox's article on the subject and then try to argue that it wasn't a dive.
I have read it. Read what Dempsey had to say about this fight in his 1959 autobiography. Why do you presume Cox knows more about this fight than Dempsey? Or that Maxine Cates or anyone else knows more about this fight than Dempsey?

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum