Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > European Boxing Forum

Old 08-11-2009, 08:16 AM   #1
pecks
East Side Guru

vCash: 1908
Default Zsolt Erdei - What will his legacy be?

How do you Euro's rate him, and how would you look back on his career if it stays like it is now?

Is it a bit harsh to call him an Ottke lite?

Are there any reasons why he doesn't have any good names on his resume? I've seen a few of his fights, and he's quite skillful, but I've never followed news of him and I have no idea if he tried to pursue greatness or what.

Any info on his career choices, etc would be appreciated.
pecks is offline  Top
Old 08-11-2009, 01:46 PM   #2
vick_ramalot

vCash: 1553
Default Re: Zsolt Erdei - What will his legacy be?

The reason why he didnt go for the best is his promoter and whose tv contract.
they market their stable as a whole and to have a WBO champion over years means much more money than two or three big fights. In common its the same thing than Tiger Michalczewski vs RJJr. Erdei is a well trained fighter and has great defensive, very hard to hit him.. no doubt. But its hard to rate him since nearly every noticeable fight he took part in was quite close.. for example both fights vs Garay.
We will see what the future will bring to him. His Promoter himself applied for Braehmer vs Kuziemski to be a WBO Lhw interim title fight lately. So Erdei seems to be some kind of paralysed currently.
vick_ramalot is offline  Top
Old 08-11-2009, 02:59 PM   #3
UndisputedUK
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by vick_ramalot View Post
The reason why he didnt go for the best is his promoter and whose tv contract.
they market their stable as a whole and to have a WBO champion over years means much more money than two or three big fights. In common its the same thing than Tiger Michalczewski vs RJJr. Erdei is a well trained fighter and has great defensive, very hard to hit him.. no doubt. But its hard to rate him since nearly every noticeable fight he took part in was quite close.. for example both fights vs Garay.
We will see what the future will bring to him. His Promoter himself applied for Braehmer vs Kuziemski to be a WBO Lhw interim title fight lately. So Erdei seems to be some kind of paralysed currently.
The WBO titles at 168lbs and 175lbs are there for the taking, no top names will want to go there because you need a knockout to win and whilst not ATG's Erdei and Balzsay are both pretty handy. You cannot write them off simply because they just fight in Germany.
UndisputedUK is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-2009, 07:20 PM   #4
Cruiser1
Champion Emeritus
ESB Addict

I'm guessing that Erdei will retire the moment he feels that he's slipping. I don't think he'll risk fighting long enough to the point where a lesser fighter can take advantage of his eroding skills. The writing has been on the wall for some time that he's not interested in fighting meaningful fights. He's what you would call a professional sportsman and keeping his undefeated record is probably the only tangible professional goal he has if he has any at all.

The guy is making good money fighting against easy opponents and let's face it, there's no outcry from the boxing community because nobody really cares anymore. This allows him to fly under the radar and continue his easy title reign. It's a pretty comfortable existence for a champion made even more comfortable by the fact that he isn't calling anybody out. If he were publicly saying that he wants to fight the best he'd be held to to it but he doesn't so he can do his thing without being bothered.

With all that being said, I'd say that Erdei's legacy won't be much of anything. You can point out the fact that he was the linear champ at 175 but what does that really mean? I think his legacy will be that of being one of the better Hungarian fighters of all-time as opposed to anything else. Other than that he was just a guy who won a title and assuming he does, retired undefeated after a nondescript title reign.
Cruiser1 is offline  Top
Old 08-20-2009, 06:12 PM   #5
RJJ's Jab
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1185

It is a shame he will be seen as another Ottke as like Sven he isn't that bad just overly protected.
RJJ's Jab is offline  Top
Old 08-20-2009, 06:27 PM   #6
madballster
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Recently I've seen Erdei on European TV and he was complaining that his promotional outfit (Universum Box Promotion, a Germany company) is basically blocking him from trying to unify his belt and going for big money fights.

He said how he's not getting younger and he has to risk his title in bigger fights now in order to make the pay days to secure his retirements but his promoter (according to Erdei) doesn't agree and wants him to fight "safer" opposition only.

Sad.
madballster is online now  Top
Old 08-21-2009, 06:35 AM   #7
rumour24tiger
Contender
ESB Senior Member

A lot of fighters are complaining about Universum.

Sturm

Dzinziruk "I will never fight for germans again"

Looking back, JC Gomez

And Erdei says his promoters aren't allowing him to do anything with his title.

Makes you hope the next wave of top Russians and Germans don't go to Universum.
rumour24tiger is offline  Top
Old 08-21-2009, 08:08 AM   #8
FROST
Belt holder
ESB Addict

When Erdei retires he will be forgotten after a couple days. Wait, except for his small hungarian fanbase, it seems like he's already forgotten by the boxing public...

The man has no legacy, and no heart. And you know what? I guess he couldn't care less. Because he's some kind of a local hero back home in Hungary and has made a lot of cash without taking notable risks. Now every man that steps into a ring should get respected, but Erdei has no drive, no ambition - which is a shame because he actually is a talented fighter. I rank him even behind Ottke. At least Ottke faced some good opponents, regardless if he got gift decisions against them or not.

And don't be so naive as to believe that this is all Universums fault. I know Universum are clowns, but if Erdei REALLY wanted to get a big fight, in the US or in Germany, well he would get it. Universum owe him that, and they know it. But it's simply more comfortable to keep on fighting guys like Abron or Blades. And the WBO are in on that.
FROST is offline  Top
Old 08-21-2009, 10:05 AM   #9
madballster
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Frost, but that's exactly what Erdei was complaining about. He says he hasn't made enough money yet, he wants to fight the big opposition but his promoter doesn't allow him and the contract doesn't expire for a couple of years.

He now fought once in 2008 and once in 2009. Hardly the way to make tons of money.
madballster is online now  Top
Old 08-21-2009, 12:40 PM   #10
The Kurgan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 576

Who? I remember a boxer winning the linear light-heavyweight championship with a Hungarian name like that a LONG time ago, but I assumed that boxer locked himself inside a castle somewhere in Bavaria and cradling the belt, cackling "my precious, my precious".
The Kurgan is offline  Top
Old 08-21-2009, 06:13 PM   #11
southpawslick
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kurgan View Post
Who? I remember a boxer winning the linear light-heavyweight championship with a Hungarian name like that a LONG time ago, but I assumed that boxer locked himself inside a castle somewhere in Bavaria and cradling the belt, cackling "my precious, my precious".
southpawslick is offline  Top
Old 08-21-2009, 06:30 PM   #12
TFFP
The Eskimo
East Side VIP

vCash: 2500

Ottke? He wishes he was as accomplished as Ottke.
TFFP is offline  Top
Old 08-21-2009, 09:00 PM   #13
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

Erdeis legacy will be that he made arguing the case for lineal titles slightly more difficult than it should be.
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 08-29-2009, 08:12 PM   #14
stephen
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 331

his just like calzaghe he cares more about his 0 then fighting the best

Last edited by stephen; 08-29-2009 at 08:31 PM.
stephen is offline  Top
Old 08-31-2009, 09:52 AM   #15
frankenfrank
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 4120

let's arrange the euro titlists (including past) from the most protected to the least
1. zsolt erdei
2. mikkel kessler
3. henry maske
4. fabrice tiozzo
5. joe calzaghe
6. sven ottke

unprotected : ricky hatton , dariusz michalczewski , nigel benn , chris eubank , steve collins
frankenfrank is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > European Boxing Forum