15 rounds, no reason, no vote
teeto is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-2009, 04:48 PM   #2
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: LIGHTWEIGHT TOURAMENT QUARTER FINAL- Carlos Ortiz vs Henry Armstrong

I like Armstrong to smother Ortiz's best work and take a tough decision maybe something like 9-6.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 08-14-2009, 04:54 PM   #3
teeto
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: Team Ireland Manor, Easing Pabuiao into the life of managing the GOAT
Default Re: LIGHTWEIGHT TOURAMENT QUARTER FINAL- Carlos Ortiz vs Henry Armstrong

It's crazy i agree i think, although i find it hard to come to terms with the fact i'm voting against Ortiz. The more i think about it though, i do think Ortiz would be landing the cleaner stuff, which might do the scoring. Was Ortiz ever beaten by this kind of fighter before? (not a sarcastic question, a genuine one). I'll pick Armstrong in one that could go either way truly. I've never said split decision before but i am now.
teeto is offline  Top
Old 08-14-2009, 05:31 PM   #4
CottoDaBodykill
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 4047

in the sense that i might be censored ..

i'll go with armstrong too .. he wouldn't give ortiz a second to set anything and this will lead to a sloppy fight but a close win for armstrong ..if they fought 3 times i look for armstrong to take 2-1 .. with the 1 time being when ortiz gets his game plan together long enough to keep armstrong off him
CottoDaBodykill is offline  Top
Old 08-14-2009, 06:53 PM   #5
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

vCash: 836

Armstrong smothers Ortizs outside work and gets him to fight. Ortiz has some sucess in the insdide but nobody at LW can hang with Armstrong and beat him on the inside so a close competitve brillaint decision in favour of Armstrong
GPater11093 is offline  Top
Old 08-14-2009, 09:31 PM   #6
asero
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

ortiz by KO...both are durable fighters though
asero is offline  Top
Old 08-15-2009, 12:33 AM   #7
WhataRock
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 166

Funny pick there asero..I sincerely doubt Ortiz would stop Armstrong as he was really only an above average puncher and Henry has went the rounds with bigger guys with more pop in their fists.

Im going to pick Ortiz though..I think he was the better technician and had the strength to deal with the physical Hank.
I dont think he tires to the degree that many did under the weight of Armstrong's attacks and he manages to keep scoring the cleaner stuff throughout the bout.

Overall I think he knows to much and has the physical tools that would be enough to keep up with Henry. His outside game was very solid and he was also a great inside fighter. Wherever the fight goes I see him being able to keep a step ahead for the most part. Though of course he would want to keep it fairly long and at mid range, I think he has the ability to do this enough to edge out just enough rounds.

Armstrong probably starts a little better and ends stronger but drops a close, perhaps disputed decision.

Last edited by WhataRock; 08-15-2009 at 08:57 AM.
WhataRock is offline  Top
Old 08-15-2009, 01:07 AM   #8
My2Sense
Champion
East Side Guru

Armstrong gives him the Barney Ross treatment IMO. Ortiz stands toe-to-toe and fights as hard as he can, but Hank's superior workrate and infighting skills carries him to a clear decision.
My2Sense is offline  Top
Old 08-15-2009, 01:50 AM   #9
BENNY BLANCO
R.I.P. Brooklyn1550
East Side Guru

I have to think about this one alittle more but I'm leaning towards Armstrong due to me believing he is the physically stronger fighter and his high workrate would be hell for Ortiz but I will have to watch some more footage of Ortiz to get a final answer.
BENNY BLANCO is offline  Top
Old 08-15-2009, 08:09 AM   #10
Mr Butt
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1054

workrate just gives armstrong the edge for a close ud win
Mr Butt is offline  Top
Old 08-15-2009, 08:41 AM   #11
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

Ortiz doesn't have the power in his counters to keep Armstrong off him, the defense to diffuse his attacks or the workrate to fight at his pace. The speed and intensity of Armstrong would neutralise his boxing skills too. Ortiz's key to victory would be to set traps and counter, I think he'll try and have some success but not enough.

I'm sure he would manage to outbox Armstrong at times but the majority of the fight Armstrong would swarm and put his man on the back foot, continually chasing him down. I'm sure he'll score damaging shots of his own but simply be outworked.

Armstrong UD 10-5
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 08-15-2009, 01:59 PM   #12
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

i think ortiz would manage to shift patterns enough to win some clear rounds, but would have to keep changing once hank figured him out and got on top of him again. towards the end ortiz would opt to stand nd fight and takes the 14th rnd due to clean punching. armstrong wins the 15th and nearly has ortiz out of there. ortiz wins 8-7.
Flea Man is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum