Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2007, 05:04 PM   #1
Luigi1985
Cane Corso
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 2,326
vCash: 1000
Default Jack Chase

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]Black Dynamite
Jack Chase

Born: Isaiah James Chase, Texas 1917
Died Washington, 1972

Height: 5ft 8in
Weight: Welterweight to Light heavyweight

Managed by Babe Shosky (Colorado) - Johnny Kelloff (California) <H5 align=justify>


Another of the solid West Coast fighters campaigning throughout the 1930's and '40's Jack Chase appeared to have something of the devil about him. Starting out as a teenager fighting in the tough mining town of Walsenburg, Colorado he stretched out an unbeaten run of some sixty plus fights before losing to South African Eddie Pierce.
</H5>
With close to half of his victories coming via the short route this Rocky Mountain socker proved that he could box as well as punch and by 1937 Young Joe Louis, as he was calling himself, was rated in the top ten in the country by the Ring magazine. Unfortunately for him a seemingly unstoppable march towards higher honours and greater recognition came to an screeching halt when the young fighter found himself caught up in a 'situation' and ended up paying his debt to society in a Colorado prison cell. Further misfortune befell him upon his return to ring action in 1941 when opponent Roy (Jack) Gillespie died as a result of a knockout blow. After one more fight in the Rocky Mountain region Young Joe Louis took himself and his eighty-something record to California where he became Jack Chase.

During the '40's the professional fight game on the West Coast could boast some of the best fighters in the United States - if not the world and the new arrival soon found himself trading leather with Archie Moore, Eddie Booker, Lloyd Marshall, Tiger Wade and Charley Burley. A veritable 'Who's Who' of 1940's black fistiana.
Chase quickly established himself and won the California State Middleweight title by defeating Eddie Booker over fifteen rounds. He then lost and re-won the title in two bouts with the inimitable Archie Moore. Two successful defences against Lloyd Marshall were notched up before Jack ran into the great Charley Burley. Chase was stopped twice by the Pittsburgh great in two title fights and lost an earlier encounter on points.
Chase beat some of the top names in the game at the time, but two guys he just couldn't beat were the aforementioned Burley and the sadly neglected Holman Williams who topped Jack on four separate occasions.
Early in 1944, a shooting incident involving fellow middleweight 'Tiger' Wade had him in the news for reasons other than fighting -- although Wade recovered sufficiently to continue with his career. Jack put some more hurt on Wade a few months later when he knocked him out in ten rounds. After losing his state middleweight title to Charley Burley, Chase won the state light heavyweight crown in a match with Watson Jones over fifteen rounds. After 1944 however, the number of bouts and the number of victories began to dwindle; losses to Archie Moore and the solid 'Oakland' Billy Smith finished him as a top-flight attraction. What is noticeable about the record of Jack Chase is the absence of practically all of the big-name white fighters at middleweight and even light heavyweight. As with the rest of the black fighters around during the same period, fighting amongst themselves was the only way for these long-forgotten boxing stars to make a living.
Luigi1985 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-2007, 06:40 PM   #2
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 37,398
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Jack Chase

Of all those guys - Burley, Williams, Smith, Marshall etc. - I think Chase is the one who is most disrespected. Put Chase in with anyone - ever - from 154 up to 168 and they'd have their hands full with this guy. Just as Burley was regarded as uncrowned MW champ in much of the US, Chase was seen as exactly the same thing on the west coast - uncrowned MW champ, the best in that weight division. Victories over Booker, Marshall and Moore...these guys are as good as anyone that fought in my view, masterful fighters.

It's said that Burley had Chase's number, but it should be pointed out that Chase was pretty ill before their first contest, I certainly see Chase as being in Burley's class. But then it seems that Chase did struggle when he couldn't land his excellnt jab and Burley had that awkward weave. One thing's for sure, watching these fights on film would be an education.

I'm guessing this is some sort of import Luigi? I say this because i'm betting you rate Chase as better than "solid" as he's described in the article?

I certainly do.
McGrain is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 06:46 PM   #3
Luigi1985
Cane Corso
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 2,326
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Jack Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain
Of all those guys - Burley, Williams, Smith, Marshall etc. - I think Chase is the one who is most disrespected. Put Chase in with anyone - ever - from 154 up to 168 and they'd have their hands full with this guy. Just as Burley was regarded as uncrowned MW champ in much of the US, Chase was seen as exactly the same thing on the west coast - uncrowned MW champ, the best in that weight division. Victories over Booker, Marshall and Moore...these guys are as good as anyone that fought in my view, masterful fighters.

It's said that Burley had Chase's number, but it should be pointed out that Chase was pretty ill before their first contest, I certainly see Chase as being in Burley's class. But then it seems that Chase did struggle when he couldn't land his excellnt jab and Burley had that awkward weave. One thing's for sure, watching these fights on film would be an education.

I'm guessing this is some sort of import Luigi? I say this because i'm betting you rate Chase as better than "solid" as he's described in the article?

I certainly do.
Youīre once again completely right, McGrain! Chase is today almost unknown and is never named when it comes to great, underrated fighters. I wanted to give him some respect, that people here, who for example donīt know, study his record and make their own opinion...
Luigi1985 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 06:56 PM   #4
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 37,398
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Jack Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi1985
Youīre once again completely right, McGrain! Chase is today almost unknown and is never named when it comes to great, underrated fighters. I wanted to give him some respect, that people here, who for example donīt know, study his record and make their own opinion...


I hope some people give him that second look, he's certainly worth it.

Just no footage though!
McGrain is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 07:00 PM   #5
Luigi1985
Cane Corso
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 2,326
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Jack Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain


I hope some people give him that second look, he's certainly worth it.

Just no footage though!
No, unfortunately no footage, at least I donīt find something...
Luigi1985 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 07:12 PM   #6
buddynabuick
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Detroit
Posts: 282
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Jack Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi1985
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]Black Dynamite
Jack Chase
Born: Isaiah James Chase, Texas 1917
Died Washington, 1972

Height: 5ft 8in
Weight: Welterweight to Light heavyweight

Managed by Babe Shosky (Colorado) - Johnny Kelloff (California) <H5 align=justify>


Another of the solid West Coast fighters campaigning throughout the 1930's and '40's Jack Chase appeared to have something of the devil about him. Starting out as a teenager fighting in the tough mining town of Walsenburg, Colorado he stretched out an unbeaten run of some sixty plus fights before losing to South African Eddie Pierce.
</H5>
With close to half of his victories coming via the short route this Rocky Mountain socker proved that he could box as well as punch and by 1937 Young Joe Louis, as he was calling himself, was rated in the top ten in the country by the Ring magazine. Unfortunately for him a seemingly unstoppable march towards higher honours and greater recognition came to an screeching halt when the young fighter found himself caught up in a 'situation' and ended up paying his debt to society in a Colorado prison cell. Further misfortune befell him upon his return to ring action in 1941 when opponent Roy (Jack) Gillespie died as a result of a knockout blow. After one more fight in the Rocky Mountain region Young Joe Louis took himself and his eighty-something record to California where he became Jack Chase.

During the '40's the professional fight game on the West Coast could boast some of the best fighters in the United States - if not the world and the new arrival soon found himself trading leather with Archie Moore, Eddie Booker, Lloyd Marshall, Tiger Wade and Charley Burley. A veritable 'Who's Who' of 1940's black fistiana.
Chase quickly established himself and won the California State Middleweight title by defeating Eddie Booker over fifteen rounds. He then lost and re-won the title in two bouts with the inimitable Archie Moore. Two successful defences against Lloyd Marshall were notched up before Jack ran into the great Charley Burley. Chase was stopped twice by the Pittsburgh great in two title fights and lost an earlier encounter on points.
Chase beat some of the top names in the game at the time, but two guys he just couldn't beat were the aforementioned Burley and the sadly neglected Holman Williams who topped Jack on four separate occasions.
Early in 1944, a shooting incident involving fellow middleweight 'Tiger' Wade had him in the news for reasons other than fighting -- although Wade recovered sufficiently to continue with his career. Jack put some more hurt on Wade a few months later when he knocked him out in ten rounds. After losing his state middleweight title to Charley Burley, Chase won the state light heavyweight crown in a match with Watson Jones over fifteen rounds. After 1944 however, the number of bouts and the number of victories began to dwindle; losses to Archie Moore and the solid 'Oakland' Billy Smith finished him as a top-flight attraction. What is noticeable about the record of Jack Chase is the absence of practically all of the big-name white fighters at middleweight and even light heavyweight. As with the rest of the black fighters around during the same period, fighting amongst themselves was the only way for these long-forgotten boxing stars to make a living.

Thanks for posting. I enjoyed it
buddynabuick is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013