Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

View Poll Results: who wins this matchup?
Evander Holyfield 33 53.23%
Mike Tyson 29 46.77%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-07-2009, 12:45 PM   #1
PH|LLA
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

vCash: 5685
Default Holyfield vs Tyson, 1991

After Holyfield defended his undisputed championship against Foreman and Tyson won his rematch against Ruddock, Tyson and Holyfield were supposed to square off in a mega-multimillion showdown. Unfortunately Tyson got injured and the fight was cancelled.

Holyfield ended up demolishing Bert Cooper while Tyson ended up in jail.

Who would've won this matchup?
PH|LLA is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2009, 12:49 PM   #2
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Holyfield vs Tyson, 1991

Since the time frame you set was 1991, I placed my vote with Holyfield. Of course, this would have been a much better version of BOTH men, then the ones we saw in 1996, and definately a great fight to say the least. If I were to take a stab at when Tyson was at his peak, I'm thinking 1987-88 is probably a good guess.

Last edited by mr. magoo; 06-07-2009 at 02:44 PM.
mr. magoo is offline  Top
Old 06-07-2009, 12:53 PM   #3
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Holyfield was still small and gung-ho at that point. I say Tyson beats him on points, though if anyone was going to stop THAT Holyfield it would be Tyson, even if he was becoming more one-paced by that stage.

The best fight would be Kid Dynamite vs Holyfield that fought Bowe the 2nd time.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 06-07-2009, 01:20 PM   #4
djanders
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I'm voting for Holyfield.
djanders is offline  Top
Old 06-07-2009, 01:30 PM   #5
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

Holyfield was smaller and weaker in 1991, he also liked to brawl and didnt fight as smart, but was more athetic, higher workrate but headbutted much less. Tyson in 1991 still had his stamina and wouldnt fade as much, and ofcourse was still the beast he always was. I think something similar to Bowe 1 happens where Holyfield thinks he can't outbrawl a bigger puncher. I thought Tyson was winning the first Holyfield fight after 5rounds and I think he keeps this up and maybe stops Holyfield or puts him down and wins a decision. Either way he handles the pressure better and wins out
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 06-07-2009, 01:31 PM   #6
anut
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Mike tyson via 12 rd decision.................
anut is offline  Top
Old 06-07-2009, 02:02 PM   #7
Rumsfeld
East Side VIP

vCash: 655

I'll take Holyfield.

Mentally, I don't think Tyson was much stronger in 1991 than he was in 1996, and although Tyson was much better physically at that point, Holyfield was, too.

As magoo stated, it would be a much better fight than the one we got in 1996.

Although that fight was huge in its impact, for the most part, I think it's overrated in terms of entertainment value. The Bowe-Golota bouts from the same year were much more exciting to watch, IMO.
Rumsfeld is offline  Top
Old 06-07-2009, 02:07 PM   #8
catasyou
Lucian Bute
East Side VIP

Holyfield
catasyou is offline  Top
Old 06-07-2009, 02:33 PM   #9
guilalah
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I voted Holyfield.

I think, against Tyson, he's going to box pretty smart.

Good match, though.
guilalah is offline  Top
Old 06-07-2009, 02:51 PM   #10
Schmapps
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

I'm not sure about Holyfield "demolishing" Bert Cooper...I seem to remember Holy being in alot of trouble in that one at times.

Anyways, I almost hate to say it, but I think 1991 Tyson is just a little too much physically for Evander. I can see a TKO for Iron Mike.
Schmapps is offline  Top
Old 06-07-2009, 02:51 PM   #11
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumsfeld View Post
I'll take Holyfield.

Mentally, I don't think Tyson was much stronger in 1991 than he was in 1996, and although Tyson was much better physically at that point, Holyfield was, too.

As magoo stated, it would be a much better fight than the one we got in 1996.

Although that fight was huge in its impact, for the most part, I think it's overrated in terms of entertainment value. The Bowe-Golota bouts from the same year were much more exciting to watch, IMO.
I agree,

In order for me to pick Tyson, he'd need to have Kevin Rooney in his his corner, minus a lot of the bullshit that he had going on outside the ring during the 90's. The Tyson who fought Ruddock vs the Holyfield who fought Foreman is not a bad matchup by any means, but probably not ideal either. The loss to Douglas was probably still swimming around in his head, and the quality of his management had declined. He was also keeping a lot of his old friends from the hood a little too close when King was running the show. Evander at this point, was around 28 years of age, and possibly still in the best shape of his career. In addition, he was coming off a streak where he was regularly dispatching quality top raters. Some argue that the Holyfield of later years was better suited for a guy like Tyson, had better stamina, better boxing skills, etc. I'm not so sure though. I think people mistake better stamina for a much slower workrate, and I'm not convinced that his skills were all that better polished either. He also wasn't fighting 3 times a year beating prime contenders anymore either. The grueling battles of the Bowe trilogy, along with compiling health problems and periodical episodes of inactivity, such as the temporary retirement after the Moorer fight, contributed to his decline in my opinion..
mr. magoo is offline  Top
Old 06-07-2009, 03:05 PM   #12
My2Sense
Champion
East Side Guru

Holyfield.

He was still able to whup him when he was much older and far more faded than him; he'd whup him for sure on more equal footing.
My2Sense is offline  Top
Old 06-07-2009, 03:54 PM   #13
Danny
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I'll say Tyson by TKO! Granted, even in 1991 Tyson was negelcting his skills some-what, things like head-movement, the jab, even sometimes throwing single shots, although he still threw combos!

However, his hunger & desire was still strong imo & he was still a terrific fighter! Back then, Holyfield was more inclined to get drawn into a warm, which Tyson would have wanted!

Tyson still maintained a good body attack (see Ruddock fights). Evander was as tough as they come & he would no doubt not have been intimated, but I believe Evander was a smarter years later when both guys actually fought each other!
Danny is offline  Top
Old 06-08-2009, 01:27 AM   #14
Jaws
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by My2Sense View Post
Holyfield.

He was still able to whup him when he was much older and far more faded than him; he'd whup him for sure on more equal footing.
You've got to be kidding if you think Holyfield was more faded than Tyson in '96...

Wow.
Jaws is offline  Top
Old 06-08-2009, 02:10 AM   #15
ripcity
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: "Somebody may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it."
vCash: 917

This is not 96/97. Holyfield will stand and trade with Tyson show a lot of hart, but Tyson will make him miss and pay. Holyfield had a good chin in most cases I would say Tyson early to mid round ko I would say Late round ko or clear decision for Tyson
ripcity is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum