Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 08-18-2009, 07:53 AM   #1
toffeejack
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Naseem Hamed

Opinion is very much divided with him especially on the general forum. A lot of Americans don't rate him highly and only remember him for the Barerra fight.

Some say he was an unbeleivalbe talent could have ended up high in the ATG rankings, gone down a legend but lost the desire and the will by the time Barrera beat him, some say he was just an overrated hype job that got exposed as soon as he stepped up to elite class.

Personally I believe the former is true but where do you all think he could have ended up if he had stayed with the Ingles, not let all that fame and fortune go to his head and retained that drive and desire he had at a young age to be the very best?

Also how do you see a 100% Hamed versus a 100% Barrera going?
toffeejack is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-2009, 08:00 AM   #2
The Bang Benang
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Default Re: Naseem Hamed

Quote:
Originally Posted by toffeejack View Post
Also how do you see a 100% Hamed versus a 100% Barrera going?
If the motivated Naseem Hamed fought Marco Antonio Barrera that night, i still believe Barrera would have won clearly, it would have been a bit closer on the cards possibly and he could/would have hurt Marco a few times if he used his power with more skill, but the thing is, NO MATTER WHAT % Of Naseem Hamed shown up that night, Barrera would have fooled him, he CHANGED his style altogether against Hamed, he would have still managed to take a decision, 115-112, but Hamed would have make it tougher because he would have used more skill instead of relying on power constantly.
The Bang Benang is offline  Top
Old 08-18-2009, 08:03 AM   #3
essexboy
The Cat
ESB Addict

vCash: 418

I definately think he was highly talented theres no question about that. He ruined his career for himself similar to Tyson in the US by letting fame get to his head and apparently relying on his skills too much rather than working hard. Unforunately we will always be wondering what might have been, personally I believe he had the talent to become a multi-weight world champ and ATG. Head to head prime for prime I think Hamed gives Barrera a much tougher fight and very probably wins.
essexboy is offline  Top
Old 08-18-2009, 08:06 AM   #4
trotter
Belt holder
ESB Addict

What the Americans think is neither here nor there really; they would only be judging him on a couple of fights

He was a ludicrously talented fighter but I suppose with that style, you'll always find someone who's own style works against it

He should have achieved more perhaps but I think he just peaked quite young
trotter is offline  Top
Old 08-18-2009, 08:16 AM   #5
Gaz S
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Very valid and fair assessment from The Bang, but I tend to agree more with Es***boy.
What is easy to forget is most of Hamed's success came very, very early for him. He was still in his early 20's. I believe if his dedication, motivation or whatever you want to call it was maintained, he would have only got better with the more experience he got over the years.
Unfortunately, whilst acquiring that experience he also let things slide in his dedication and discipline for the sport.

If the 2001 version of Naz had maintained the same levels of focus and discipline as the 1995 version, I believe he could have gone on to achieve ATG status. Bear in mind whilst Barrera beat Naz clearly, it wasn't an absolute one sided pasting in which Hamed suffered a beating. And this was a Naz that was so arrogant to the point where he didn't feel the need to prepare 100% for Barrera, just as long as his hair looked ok, his dance moves were cool, etc. A Naz who pretty much had this attitude for a number of years prior to the fight.
If Naz had approached the Barrera fight with the same fire he had for the Robinson fight, but now with 5 or 6 more years of experience in world class opposition, I think the result would have been different.

It's a shame, but it's my personal belief the only thing that stopped Naz from becoming an ATG was Naz himself. A man who dominated and unified (in effect) the featherweight division, but let his ego and arrogance eclipse his discipline.
Gaz S is offline  Top
Old 08-18-2009, 08:18 AM   #6
Ilesey
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 172

Barerra beats him. I just don't see Hamed beating Barerra, or Morales for that matter.
Ilesey is offline  Top
Old 08-18-2009, 08:37 AM   #7
BremnerBomber
Belt holder
ESB Addict

A MAB vs Naz trilogy would have been one of the ATG match ups ever, unfortunatly he gave up after that loss, and for some reason it's always remembered as a one sided beat down.....but he only lost by a few points
BremnerBomber is offline  Top
Old 08-18-2009, 08:39 AM   #8
The Bang Benang
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz S View Post
It's a shame, but it's my personal belief the only thing that stopped Naz from becoming an ATG was Naz himself. A man who dominated and unified (in effect) the featherweight division, but let his ego and arrogance eclipse his discipline.
Couldnt agree with you more here, he felt Invincable, maybe if he had suffered a loss earlier in his career he would have thought ''i have to prove people that im not what they think, im not a fraud'', but the problem was: He'd already achieved World Status, fame, millions in terms of currency, he had a wife and kids, he didnt need to, he'd ''made it''. We look at guys like Amir Khan for the obvious example, who lost and were ''exposed'' early on but then only gained more hunger from the loss, even Khan had the whole ''Invincable, Unbeaten'' fighter hype around him, but because he suffered a loss so early, it only helped cause he had a point to prove, But when your like Naseem and lose for the first time when your already at the top, why continue when your hearts not in it and you've achieved alot anyway? He could have done alot more though, he was only 27-28 when he retired.
The Bang Benang is offline  Top
Old 08-18-2009, 09:04 AM   #9
robpalmer135
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

a 100% motivated Naz beats any featherweight in history.

also the big problem with naz was that he should have been a bantamweight at the most. he only went up cos there was no cash in the lower weights.
robpalmer135 is offline  Top
Old 08-18-2009, 09:18 AM   #10
El Cepillo
Baddest Man on the Planet
East Side Guru

vCash: 1075

American perceptions of Naz are pretty skewed. I've found it to be the subject on which they are the most closed minded. "He's a hype job fraud, all he ever did was lose to Barrera" - that kind of thing.

The reality is, Hamed was a very good fighter, a very good champion, and he had a very good career. It could have been better, it could have been worse. It just is what it is.

I think Naz could compete at the elite level. He took a few rounds off Barrera, who was KO'd and beat by much lesser fighters than the Prince.
El Cepillo is offline  Top
Old 08-18-2009, 09:36 AM   #11
NO MAS
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

If Naz would have copped MAB he would have KO'd him.... MAB boxed a punch perfect fight on the outside all night long.... a perfect strategy to disarm Naz's power... If Naz boxed MAB 100 times he would lose 100 times IMO...

Last edited by NO MAS; 08-18-2009 at 12:07 PM.
NO MAS is offline  Top
Old 08-18-2009, 10:07 AM   #12
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Prime Hamed would have beaten Barerra. He was managed awfully which led to his motivational issues. He peaked in the Robinson fight. Every fight after that was pretty much inferior and he moved up to Featherweight too early.
brown bomber is offline  Top
Old 08-18-2009, 10:10 AM   #13
kosaros
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 999

Naz would have beat Barrera if they fought in 1996.
kosaros is offline  Top
Old 08-18-2009, 02:20 PM   #14
kurt2006
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I think of it in the following way: A lazy ill prepared Naz went a full 12 with MAB. I dread to think what he would have done to MAB if he had prepared properly. How many other boxers at that time could have peed about whilst preparing for the fightr and gone 12?
kurt2006 is offline  Top
Old 08-18-2009, 02:23 PM   #15
TFFP
The Eskimo
East Side VIP

vCash: 2500

Barrera, Marquez, Morales and Pac all beat him. I'd love to claim otherwise but that would seem to be the case IMO.
TFFP is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum