NO MAS
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75
Default Re: Naseem Hamed

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman_hatton1 View Post
here's an article about the interview.

so hand problems brought about his retirement.

shame he had to wait 7 yrs to tell us.

By Clive Bernath: Even though he never officially retired I always felt I knew the real reason Naseem Hamed never fought again after out-pointing Spaniard Manuel Calvo in May, 2002.

On Sunday my suspicions were finally proved correct when Naz revealed to BBC Radio 5’s Live Sports week programme that damaged hands forced him stop practising the sport he loved.

"I had hand trouble and could not take the power of my punch," Hamed BBC 5 Live.

"I needed cortisone injections to take away the pain when I fought, then after every fight the gloves would be whipped off and my hands would be as big as balloons.

"It was getting ridiculous and you can’t go on with no ammunition. I was one of the hardest punchers ever known but if the hands are quite brittle and you do damage, then it’s hard to carry on."

There were a number of reasons why my suspicions were aroused concerning Hamed’s lack of activity after the win over Calvo, and it was not just because he stunk out the London Arena with arguably the worst performance of his 37 fight career. No, I vividly remember being ringside that particular night on May 18, 2002 and rather conveniently overheard Hamed confide to promoter Barry Hearn that ‘my hands are f**ked’. As Hamed walked down the steps from the ring he whispered into Hearn’s ear, ‘my hands are f**ked, there’s just nothing there’.

It all makes perfect sense when you think about it because although Hamed was gifted with lightening fast reflexes, especially in the early days, he possessed even greater fire power in those fists he aptly named ‘Rocket Launchers’. Think about it? 31 ko’s from 37 fights. At just 5ft 4 and 9st Hamed hit harder than some world class welterweights. In fact he probably knocked out more fighters with a single shot than any other British boxer so its no wonder those fists ended up being damaged beyond repair.

As mentioned earlier Hamed has never officially retired but after piling on the weight, settling more and more into family life and the fact he has now come clean about his damaged hands I think we can safely assume he will never fight again.

Naseem Hamed may not have been the most popular British boxer in history but one could argue that pound for pound he was one of the hardest hitters.
100% spot on, he had a dig like a kick off a mule...hand damage was always going to be an issue with his power...
NO MAS is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-2009, 02:47 PM   #32
LB3000
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman_hatton1 View Post
is it this weeks one?

the one with jessica ennis, phillips idowu and tim henmen being interviewed as well.
Yep, thats the one.
LB3000 is offline  Top
Old 08-31-2009, 03:23 PM   #33
gasman
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 900

Quote:
Originally Posted by toffeejack View Post
Opinion is very much divided with him especially on the general forum. A lot of Americans don't rate him highly and only remember him for the Barerra fight.

Some say he was an unbeleivalbe talent could have ended up high in the ATG rankings, gone down a legend but lost the desire and the will by the time Barrera beat him, some say he was just an overrated hype job that got exposed as soon as he stepped up to elite class.

Personally I believe the former is true but where do you all think he could have ended up if he had stayed with the Ingles, not let all that fame and fortune go to his head and retained that drive and desire he had at a young age to be the very best?

Also how do you see a 100% Hamed versus a 100% Barrera going?
It doesnt matter Hamed was never beating Barrera, he was lucky to beat Kelly before that. Barrera absolutely schooled Hamed when they fought. I know he didn't train well etc, but even if he had prepared better Barrera would have beat him convincingly.

I think people getting a bit carried away with Hamed, he was flashy and I enjoyed watching his earlier fights but was over-hyped and ultimately got found out.
gasman is offline  Top
Old 08-31-2009, 03:37 PM   #34
hitman_hatton1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman View Post
It doesnt matter Hamed was never beating Barrera, he was lucky to beat Kelly before that. Barrera absolutely schooled Hamed when they fought. I know he didn't train well etc, but even if he had prepared better Barrera would have beat him convincingly.

I think people getting a bit carried away with Hamed, he was flashy and I enjoyed watching his earlier fights but was over-hyped and ultimately got found out.
he bottomed out around 98.

he didn't progress after that.

he started becoming easier to hit and more flat footed.

i always thought barrera and morales would beat him fairly soundly.

sadly he didn't stick around long enough for morales.
hitman_hatton1 is offline  Top
Old 08-31-2009, 06:14 PM   #35
felix
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LB3000 View Post
Hamed done a interview for BBC Sportsweek. You can hear the interview on the BBC site. Interview starts just past the 42min mark.
yh 42min.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
felix is offline  Top
Old 08-31-2009, 07:55 PM   #36
theboy_racer
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCD View Post
As for prime v prime i think of recent years Barrera, Morales, Pacquaio and Juan Manuel Marquez all beat him.
theboy_racer is offline  Top
Old 09-02-2009, 01:32 AM   #37
Farmboxer
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

If you haven't seen it, you must watch Hamed Vs. Kelly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Farmboxer is offline  Top
Old 09-02-2009, 02:01 AM   #38
p.Townend
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 100

Hamed was a great fighter.He was poor against Barrera though.He had looked to be on the slide for a few fights.He just seemed to lose intrest,he was ready to retire long before he fought Marco.
p.Townend is offline  Top
Old 09-02-2009, 05:27 AM   #39
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Hamed was certainly the hardest hitting British fighter I've ever seen. He was consistantly devastating. His use of angles and timing also contibuted to his many knockouts but he was a bit of a freak punching power wise. Bit like Alexander and jackson he didn't even have to try to get the Ko it just came.
brown bomber is offline  Top
Old 09-02-2009, 07:34 AM   #40
gasman
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff thomas View Post
Hamed was certainly the hardest hitting British fighter I've ever seen. He was consistantly devastating. His use of angles and timing also contibuted to his many knockouts but he was a bit of a freak punching power wise. Bit like Alexander and jackson he didn't even have to try to get the Ko it just came.
I agree with that. That is why Hamed great to watch.
gasman is offline  Top
Old 09-02-2009, 07:50 AM   #41
toffeejack
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Jeff, how do you think he would fare against Barrera, Paquiao, Morales and Marquez prime for prime?
toffeejack is offline  Top
Old 09-02-2009, 10:18 AM   #42
El Cepillo
Baddest Man on the Planet
East Side Guru

vCash: 1075

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman View Post

No. He didn't. Dropping 4 rounds to Hamed doesn't equate to a "an absolute schooling". A schooling is Calzaghe/Lacy or Pavlik/Hopkins, where the opponent is lucky to win one minute of one round.

Hamed/Barrera was a clear and comfortable win for Barrera, nothing more than that. I don't know why people feel the need to jump on the "Barrera schooled Hamed" bandwagon that was started by the Americans.
El Cepillo is offline  Top
Old 09-02-2009, 10:28 AM   #43
gasman
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Cepillo View Post
No. He didn't. Dropping 4 rounds to Hamed doesn't equate to a "an absolute schooling". A schooling is Calzaghe/Lacy or Pavlik/Hopkins, where the opponent is lucky to win one minute of one round.

Hamed/Barrera was a clear and comfortable win for Barrera, nothing more than that. I don't know why people feel the need to jump on the "Barrera schooled Hamed" bandwagon that was started by the Americans.
That fight wasnt even close, you can call it a clear and comfortable win, no problem with me. But, he stepped into the ring with an elite fighter and got schooled, my opinion. It is clear from reading your posts that you are a big Hamed fan, I noticed on the thread in the general forum that this was your saddest boxing experience. Although I still wanted Hamed to win, I didnt feel too bad about it in the end, as he lost to a truly elite fighter and towards the end I didnt like the Hamed carried himself.
gasman is offline  Top
Old 09-02-2009, 11:07 AM   #44
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by toffeejack View Post
Jeff, how do you think he would fare against Barrera, Paquiao, Morales and Marquez prime for prime?
OK something non-Calzaghe, excellent. I feel Hameds prime was in 1995- the Robinson, Liendo, Angeles and Polo-Perez fights saw an astonishing blend of power and speed that made him seem frankly unbeatable. It was only when he noticably slowed down that he began to get tagged and this started against Medina.

Had a prime Hamed fought a prime Barrera we would have seen a similar fight to the one that took place only Hamed would not have been found with such regularity. He would have been harder to nail and the weeble moments that seemed to define that match up would have been missing. Prime Barrera was the circumspect surgeon not the windmill. Had Hamed fought the Windmill he would have KO'd Barrera. Could Hamed have had enough success to sway the judges in his favour or found the KO punch versus prime Barrera? I think so. He was incredible. His punch picking was amazing and i think that while it would intially be nip and tuck eventually Hamed would have made barrera come to him and when he did it Barrera's defence would have been exposed.

Prime Morales? Morales represents a different sent of questions to Barrera- his physical dimensions would have meant that Hamed would have constantly been on the end of his stinging salvo's of shots. His right hand was a KO punch and he had a canny knack of finding the fight ender even if it meant changing direction mid punch. He also had a iron chin. He would have been a real handful. Think Medina but more punishing and harder hitting. Hamed Morales would have been a tough fight as I feel Morales simply would not have allowed him to settle into a rythm easily. I could see Hamed really struggling here- even in his prime. For me its 50-50 but for the sake of British pride I go for Hamed to steal a tight one on points. I wouldn't fancy him for the stoppage.

Prime Marquez?

Marquez has had a very choppy career, occasionally brilliant- occasionally unremarkable. What I will say is that he's bloomed in more recent times but his tidy style is the perfect foil for Pac... would it be the solution to the Hamed puzzle? I don't think so. He like Barrera is very cautious in his approach- he seems to open up only when he feels he has to and Hamed would have been able to pick and choose when he was going to fire. I think that prime Hamed would have had the fire power to hurt him badly and would not have been there to be hit afterwards. I'd take Hamed o inflict a stoppage on Marquez in about 7 rounds.

Prime Pac???

Well Prime Pac appears to be a light welterweight- a place where his speed and power seem in perfect form against the slower opposition. That said he's always had a fair punch but that Barrera, Marquez and Morales were able to take his punches for the full 12 rounds spells that he didn't hit quite so violently down at 9st. His defence is a mess. He was always open to counters and Hamed would have found him I feel. He would have made Hamed work very hard but I think perhaps Hamed would have stoped him and early. It would have been dangerous but a 9st Pac is not the fighter he is at 10st.
brown bomber is offline  Top
Old 09-02-2009, 03:33 PM   #45
toffeejack
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
OK something non-Calzaghe, excellent. I feel Hameds prime was in 1995- the Robinson, Liendo, Angeles and Polo-Perez fights saw an astonishing blend of power and speed that made him seem frankly unbeatable. It was only when he noticably slowed down that he began to get tagged and this started against Medina.

Had a prime Hamed fought a prime Barrera we would have seen a similar fight to the one that took place only Hamed would not have been found with such regularity. He would have been harder to nail and the weeble moments that seemed to define that match up would have been missing. Prime Barrera was the circumspect surgeon not the windmill. Had Hamed fought the Windmill he would have KO'd Barrera. Could Hamed have had enough success to sway the judges in his favour or found the KO punch versus prime Barrera? I think so. He was incredible. His punch picking was amazing and i think that while it would intially be nip and tuck eventually Hamed would have made barrera come to him and when he did it Barrera's defence would have been exposed.

Prime Morales? Morales represents a different sent of questions to Barrera- his physical dimensions would have meant that Hamed would have constantly been on the end of his stinging salvo's of shots. His right hand was a KO punch and he had a canny knack of finding the fight ender even if it meant changing direction mid punch. He also had a iron chin. He would have been a real handful. Think Medina but more punishing and harder hitting. Hamed Morales would have been a tough fight as I feel Morales simply would not have allowed him to settle into a rythm easily. I could see Hamed really struggling here- even in his prime. For me its 50-50 but for the sake of British pride I go for Hamed to steal a tight one on points. I wouldn't fancy him for the stoppage.

Prime Marquez?

Marquez has had a very choppy career, occasionally brilliant- occasionally unremarkable. What I will say is that he's bloomed in more recent times but his tidy style is the perfect foil for Pac... would it be the solution to the Hamed puzzle? I don't think so. He like Barrera is very cautious in his approach- he seems to open up only when he feels he has to and Hamed would have been able to pick and choose when he was going to fire. I think that prime Hamed would have had the fire power to hurt him badly and would not have been there to be hit afterwards. I'd take Hamed o inflict a stoppage on Marquez in about 7 rounds.

Prime Pac???

Well Prime Pac appears to be a light welterweight- a place where his speed and power seem in perfect form against the slower opposition. That said he's always had a fair punch but that Barrera, Marquez and Morales were able to take his punches for the full 12 rounds spells that he didn't hit quite so violently down at 9st. His defence is a mess. He was always open to counters and Hamed would have found him I feel. He would have made Hamed work very hard but I think perhaps Hamed would have stoped him and early. It would have been dangerous but a 9st Pac is not the fighter he is at 10st.
I guess I must come across as a deluded Calzaghe fan boy

I was into boxing a long time before he came along. Naz is in my top 3 favorite fighters ever I used to love watching him. Nice analysis though mate I wish we could have seen Naz go head to head with them in his prime.
toffeejack is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum