Mitchell PTS 3 33.33%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-18-2014, 03:40 PM   #1
Mr Butt
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1054
Default Jeff fenech vs brian mitchell

Fenech fought Nelson for the first time in 1991 and I think mitchell fought Lopez for the second time in 1991 . Let's replace Nelson with mitchell who wins this super-featherweight great clash

The first Nelson fight was really fenech's last top level performance and the second mitchell/Lopez contest was Mitchell's last defence before his first retirement. So each would be in pretty good nick if this contest had happened in 91

12 rounds at super-featherweight
Mr Butt is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-2014, 04:28 PM   #2
Germanicus
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: Jeff fenech vs brian mitchell

Mitchell wins, he's the naturally bigger man. Fenech was at his best at the lower weight classes.
Germanicus is offline  Top
Old 10-18-2014, 05:55 PM   #3
grumpy old man
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanicus View Post
Mitchell wins, he's the naturally bigger man. Fenech was at his best at the lower weight classes.
Fenech was at his best in lower divisions. But he was an inch and a half taller than Mitchell, and the version of Fenech unluckly not to get the points in Vegas was close to prime.

Granted by 1991 Mitchell hadn't lost in 10 years. But this would have potentially been a great fight.
grumpy old man is offline  Top
Old 10-19-2014, 04:57 PM   #4
fists of fury
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 2137

The Fenech that battled a still-formidable Nelson to a standstill* would have been a formidable opponent for Mitchell.
Mitchell's interesting because while his competition generally wasn't that great, he stepped up his game when the comp. got tougher. He liked aggressive fighters that came to him, and usually it was the cuties and movers that made him look bad.

I never saw anyone out-tough Mitchell. That said, Fenech was a fantastically conditioned athlete with a dependable beard and excellent workrate. I think their intangible and tangible strengths match up pretty well. Both were very confident, determined fighters.
Mitchell I'd say was the more versatile, Fenech the more relentless.

Over 15 this would be a humdinger. I may favour Mitchell simply because he's a lot more proven at 130. Great fight.

*Fenech deserved the verdict, imo.
fists of fury is offline  Top
Old 10-19-2014, 07:21 PM   #5
grumpy old man
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fists of fury View Post
The Fenech that battled a still-formidable Nelson to a standstill* would have been a formidable opponent for Mitchell.
Mitchell's interesting because while his competition generally wasn't that great, he stepped up his game when the comp. got tougher. He liked aggressive fighters that came to him, and usually it was the cuties and movers that made him look bad.

I never saw anyone out-tough Mitchell. That said, Fenech was a fantastically conditioned athlete with a dependable beard and excellent workrate. I think their intangible and tangible strengths match up pretty well. Both were very confident, determined fighters.
Mitchell I'd say was the more versatile, Fenech the more relentless.

Over 15 this would be a humdinger. I may favour Mitchell simply because he's a lot more proven at 130. Great fight.

*Fenech deserved the verdict, imo.
Good post
grumpy old man is offline  Top
Old 10-20-2014, 07:57 AM   #6
Cobra33
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

The more I watch Mitchell the more I come to see just how vastly underrated he was-he could do everything.
I would pick Mitchell to beat Fenech because at some point in the bout Mitchell would figure what would work against Fenech.
Mitchell just reminds me of the throwback fighters of years ago who didn't rely on natural speed/reflexs but just learned his craft the hard way and could do a little of everything-really liked watching Mitchell vs Beard 2.
Cobra33 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum