Old 03-14-2013, 03:51 PM   #1381
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

vCash: 330
Default Re: Wladimir Klitschko vs. Rocky Marciano

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinovelvet View Post
Im a puff? You've openly admitted you never took a body punch or felt the hurt from one in your life.

Magna said he never figured out conditioning like he did, well neither did Wlad , he had a team of boffins to do it for him while also fighting at a pace that prevents him from gasing out. Theres nothing to figure out, he doesn't over exert himself , conserves his energy, wears down his opponent and gets the victory. Its not complicated.
Things he say dont ring true. If he wanted to be anonymous he should of stayed anonymous Prove who you are or dont make such claims.
As a teacher I have no need to take body punches.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 03-14-2013, 04:46 PM   #1382
MagnaNasakki
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by lufcrazy View Post
As a teacher I have no need to take body punches.
Depends on where you teach, man. Where I come from, knowing how to take body punches would have been an asset.

And the guy is right, actually. Having a full time team of dude's devoted to making you a physical specimen is going to have a pretty big impact on your being a specimen. I have never really had those resources.

I caution anybody against asserting that a man who goes 12-15 rounds isn't in great shape, however. I don't do this distance thing often, but that shit is exhausting.

I think Marciano and Wlad's conditioning ranks right up there with anybodies. Marciano trained all day and punched all fight, Wlad has his muscle and fitness thing down to a science and hasn't breathed heavily since the Peter fight. Even Rocky's routine, though, had to have some level of precision to it, the human body is like that. I just couldn't devote 4+ hours a day to strength and conditioning for ten straight years. Call it laziness if you want, it's part of what makes those guys great champions.

Eddie Futch once said that the difference between the best and the rest is how much time he puts in at the gym. He simply outworks his challengers. I would say Rocky DEFINITELY did that, and Wlad is definitely doing that now.
MagnaNasakki is offline  Top
Old 03-14-2013, 04:51 PM   #1383
MagnaNasakki
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Between all the PM's I get looking to play 20 questions, I'm losing count of who knows, who knows that they know, who thinks they know that they know, and who isn't even close. I should make a spreadsheet.

But, honestly, I don't want to talk about me. Y'all do that every once in awhile, anyway. I post here because I want it to be about other people, greater fighters. I post from my perspective because it's my perspective. I couldnt really pretend I didn't have it, because that would just be false. I expect nobody to take my opinions as gospel; Other people may say things like "take his word for it, he knows better", but I never have. You have the right to an opinion, and I'm happy to debate it with you. You aren't automatically wrong just because I'm a fighter. Look at how we JUDGE boxing matches. Is anybody right or wrong, really? It's all interpretation and hypotheticals.

I just like talking to, debating with, and learning from you guys. No need for any undue deference or hostility, I sure didn't give any to the fighters I hung around, and they were a bigger deal than I ever was.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2013, 05:05 PM   #1384
MagnaNasakki
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by orriray59 View Post
I agree. I'm guilty of listening to fighters more and taking their word as more factual; but at the same time, guys like Eddie Chambers and you and shit have played the game to a high level. Insight off of a pro, an actual good one, is invaluable.

Can I ask you a question? How do you think heavyweights of the current era would play out if they were fighting in 15 rounders?

Obviously they'd be conditioned differently, but if we were to plop Wladimir Klitschko in a 15 round fight against, say, a fighter like Samuel Peter, would it have any major effects? Do you think 15 rounds are better or what?
Eddie Chambers seems like a cool dude, I'm glad he's hanging around here sometimes.

There have been some FAT heavyweights lately, man. I'm thinking Peter; I think he'd fall over. No way he goes 15.

Ibragimov, Chagaev, and Chambers could probably hack it, but that is academic, really; Only Sultan managed to make it the distance, and that looked like more of a lack of effort on Wlad's part, be glad we didn't get 3 more rounds of that.

I dunno that 15 makes a huge difference to Wlad, honestly. He disposed of the people who actually conditioned themselves like pro's. All it means is, he'd have probably stopped Peter in the first fight.

Shortening fights wouldn't have really mattered to Rocky along the same vein. I think he'd have still beaten Charles by a hair, too, as I recall, had it been 12. The big punchers take care of business.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:13 PM   #1385
SP_Mauler
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnaNasakki View Post
Eddie Chambers seems like a cool dude, I'm glad he's hanging around here sometimes.

There have been some FAT heavyweights lately, man. I'm thinking Peter; I think he'd fall over. No way he goes 15.

Ibragimov, Chagaev, and Chambers could probably hack it, but that is academic, really; Only Sultan managed to make it the distance, and that looked like more of a lack of effort on Wlad's part, be glad we didn't get 3 more rounds of that.

I dunno that 15 makes a huge difference to Wlad, honestly. He disposed of the people who actually conditioned themselves like pro's. All it means is, he'd have probably stopped Peter in the first fight.

Shortening fights wouldn't have really mattered to Rocky along the same vein. I think he'd have still beaten Charles by a hair, too, as I recall, had it been 12. The big punchers take care of business.

Ways of the past have been lost definitely. The HW division has no heart,guts. Soft.
SP_Mauler is offline  Top
Old 03-14-2013, 05:16 PM   #1386
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

Magna, you think the bug guys would be as big in 15 round fights or would they try to be a bit leaner for the extra 9 minutes?
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 03-14-2013, 05:21 PM   #1387
SP_Mauler
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
How can you say that, though? Wladimir Klitschko has plenty of "heart" for example.

Steward said he got KO'd because of exhaustion which doesn't show heart. That's equivalent of quitting because you're tired. It took a old school trainer to change him.

Povetkin ducking,Haye running scared but talked big,Fury talking shit yet ducking,they all pad their records with bums,Pianeta(?) whoever the fck that is gets a title shot. The HW divison is boring because they stand there flat footed,no moving,no trying to get on the inside,no launching themselves soon as the other fighter has opened himself up. They rather look good.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:23 PM   #1388
MagnaNasakki
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lufcrazy View Post
Magna, you think the bug guys would be as big in 15 round fights or would they try to be a bit leaner for the extra 9 minutes?
I know I'd try to slim down. Carrying bulk is tiring; 15 rounds is a marathon...

But, again, you look at a guy like Wlad, and he IS slim. He's just a huge dude. He's immaculately conditioned at this point.

I think it'd be a big incentive for a guy like Chambers to stay at his best weight, though. And it might have retired James Toney.

And I'd argue against people calling professional prizefighter's gutless and soft. Stupid, well, yes, maybe, I've seen some dumb, dumb gameplans in the last few years, but standing in the ring with the heavyweight champion, getting blasted, and hanging in there is brave.

I really don't know what people think seperates ****ell's ass whupping from Chagaev's. Both we roundly thumped, both hung in there even when they had nothing to offer back. Stupid, maybe, but brave, yes.

Guts and heart are buzzwords to bring back nostalgic feelings of bygone days. Keep in mind this isn't my era, either. Heart and guts, to me, means hardworking guys who seek to fight the best and walk that talk. For every Peter and Povetkin there is an Adamek and a Tony Thompson. To call them gutless is a massive, massive disrespect, man.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:27 PM   #1389
SP_Mauler
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
I know I'd try to slim down. Carrying bulk is tiring; 15 rounds is a marathon...

But, again, you look at a guy like Wlad, and he IS slim. He's just a huge dude. He's immaculately conditioned at this point.

I think it'd be a big incentive for a guy like Chambers to stay at his best weight, though. And it might have retired James Toney.

And I'd argue against people calling professional prizefighter's gutless and soft. Stupid, well, yes, maybe, I've seen some dumb, dumb gameplans in the last few years, but standing in the ring with the heavyweight champion, getting blasted, and hanging in there is brave.

I really don't know what people think seperates ****ell's ass whupping from Chagaev's. Both we roundly thumped, both hung in there even when they had nothing to offer back. Stupid, maybe, but brave, yes.

Guts and heart are buzzwords to bring back nostalgic feelings of bygone days. Keep in mind this isn't my era, either. Heart and guts, to me, means hardworking guys who seek to fight the best and walk that talk. For every Peter and Povetkin there is an Adamek and a Tony Thompson. To call them gutless is a massive, massive disrespect, man.

Hey I am use to the old timers. Cus said it best when he said fatigue is all psychological. Wladimir is so far apart,he drops his hand because he is tired but keeps grinding and grinding. He and his brother could reign for 10years.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:38 PM   #1390
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

Quote:

I think people overly shit on the current era. In terms of skill in the ring I can't see Chagaev and Iggy being a country mile behind top 5 fighters in previous eras.

Guys like Tony Thompson, twice worked his way into mando shots against a great champ and then went straight in with a red hot prospect, if that ain't heart i dunno what is!
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 03-14-2013, 05:44 PM   #1391
SP_Mauler
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
I'm fairly certain if Chagaev was transported into the Rocky era, and if Marciano beat him, he'd be lauded as a tricky, large, athletic southpaw with great fundamentals and would moida' most fighters today.

Instead he's gutless. Chagaev is a seriously good boxer like.
Well, Not the entire divison but majority.The reason these big guys are so boring is because people are use to HW coming forward and landing shots(LL vs VK last great HW fight,and they went at it) instead of throwing a jab and right hand while the other fighter just stands there and takes it.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:45 PM   #1392
Boggle
∆≈Ω≈∆

Whoa, who said Chagaev is gutless?

That guy had some serious setbacks before getting in the ring with Wlad. Achilles tendon torn. Hepatitis. Getting screwed out of of his belt as a result. Too bad.

The Soft Parade is a shit album, by the way
Boggle is offline  Top
Old 03-14-2013, 05:47 PM   #1393
SP_Mauler
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Adamek-Walker was top class, in fact, Adamek-Cunningham II was good also.

Surely you can name more then two fights. TBH I haven't followed the HW division for years last fight I saw was Wach/Klit and before that Haye/Klit. Both piss poor,almost feel asleep during Wach.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:50 PM   #1394
SP_Mauler
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Yea anyway,

Marciano KO Wladimir Round11
Old 03-14-2013, 06:03 PM   #1395
MagnaNasakki
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I really like Dimitrenko-Chambers.

Wlad-Mormeck is a nice destruction. I thought Wlad-Wach was too, Wlad threw a lot of punches and connected with some heat. Wach stayed in there, I thought it was a fun fight.

Vitali-Charr was turning into a nice little brawl, if a bit one-sided.

Pulev was just in a fun fight that he won late.

I thought Adamek-Chambers was entertaining, some very craft boxing from Chambers and effort from Adamek.

Haye-Chisora was a war. Lots of very hard leather thrown.

Leapai-Johnson was fun. Clever boxing from Kingpin, Leapai hung in there and threw haymakers.

The Tu-Barrett fights were all class.

Maybe not many, but there is still definitely some watchable action going down at heavyweight.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum