boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 12-05-2009, 04:56 PM   #31
Minotauro
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: how would marvin hagler fare against the murderers row of the 40s?

Hagler would win most but lose some too. Even guys like Chase or Kid who Marvin was better then might get a odd win here of there if they met over five times in a short space of time like these guys used too, I doubt they were 100% for a lot of the fights. I feel Holman, Burley and Marshall have the best chances of getting the better of Marvin more often. They seem to have the style to cause problems but as there is only one fight of Burely and Marshall and no footage of Holman it’s difficult to assess how the fights would go. Hagler was unpopular in his time can you image him in the 40's he'd probably be avoided like a plague by the top ranked white middleweights not named LaMotta.
Minotauro is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-2009, 07:50 PM   #32
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

vCash: 836
Default Re: how would marvin hagler fare against the murderers row of the 40s?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAKKA View Post
I was gonna say, to little Cocoas credit, he gave up many lbs and gave Georgie Freedom Abrams all he could handle.
In addition, Georgies draw vs Burley was really a case of Georgie getting his ass kicked.

Louis Kid Cocoa vs Washington's own Georgie Abrams by Nate Phillips THE RING. Nov 1940
At Washington, another Madison Square Garden attraction was presented in the main go of ten rounds between the number one welterweight contender, Louis Kid Cocoa. THE RING'S No. 5 middleweight and Washington's own Georgie Abrams. Cocoa scaled 1481/2 and Abrams, 158.

For the first three rounds, Abrams took the fight to Cocoa and had a slight edge, but at the start of the fourth, Cocoa found the range with that left of his and landed many telling blows in infighting.

the fifth, sixth and seventh were very big rounds for Cocoa who had Abrams' left eye cut. Abrams won the eighth by a shade, but in the ninth, Cocoa staggered Abrams and won the round. In the tenth and final, both went at it with Cocoa having a little the better of it, to take the round. The judges declared Abrams the winner at the end of a very good fight.
thanks for that, i dont know too much on Abrams but know he was an alright fighter, i think that justunderlines Cocoa Kid's greatness little perforamnces like that.
GPater11093 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum