Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 09-12-2007, 09:13 AM   #1
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Jack Dempsey v Jersey Joe Walcott

Walcott proved troublesome for great punchers Marciano and Louis. How does he do with a peak Jack Dempsey?
McGrain is online now  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2007, 09:24 AM   #2
Maxmomer
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 619
Default Re: Jack Dempsey v Jersey Joe Walcott

Dempsey would do what Marciano did, only quicker and without taking as much damage.
Maxmomer is offline  Top
Old 09-12-2007, 09:26 AM   #3
Luigi1985
Cane Corso
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxmomer
Dempsey would do what Marciano did, only quicker and without taking as much damage.

Why´re you overrating Dempsey so much? In which fights showed he, that he could KO Walcott quicker than Marciano (13th round KO and 1st round KO)?
Luigi1985 is offline  Top
Old 09-12-2007, 09:26 AM   #4
Maxmomer
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobkhan
i think Jack Johnson is right when he said that Dempsey is the best 4-round fighter ever but after that 4 rounds heīs just another hooker.
That doesn't make any sense. He was a two handed puncher who could knock you out in any round with either hand with any punch.
Maxmomer is offline  Top
Old 09-12-2007, 09:28 AM   #5
Luigi1985
Cane Corso
ESB Addict

Quote:
That doesn't make any sense. He was a two handed puncher who could knock you out in any round with either hand with any punch.

Why did he need so many clear punches against a shot Willard for example? I know that Jess had a good chin, but even though...
Old 09-12-2007, 09:33 AM   #6
Maxmomer
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I was referring to Marciano's first fight with Walcott, in which Walcott basically gave the best performance of his career. I feel that Dempsey would KO him quicker than Marciano did in their first fight because Dempsey was a faster starter as well as a faster and more accurate puncher. I don't think He'd get a first round KO, though, as Walcott was too good for that, but when Marciano managed that Walcott was nearly 40 and I feel that he basically gave up.

Last edited by Maxmomer; 09-12-2007 at 11:32 AM.
Maxmomer is offline  Top
Old 09-12-2007, 09:34 AM   #7
Maxmomer
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi1985
Why did he need so many clear punches against a shot Willard for example? I know that Jess had a good chin, but even though...
A good chin? His chin was granite and he was as tough and durable as they come, yet Dempsey still managed to knock him down 7 times in 1 round, and the last knockdown Willard was down longer than 10 but was saved by the bell.
Maxmomer is offline  Top
Old 09-12-2007, 09:39 AM   #8
Luigi1985
Cane Corso
ESB Addict

Quote:
Well, Marciano isnīt a particular fast starter but is consistent strong over the whole distance. Dempsey starts very strong, and there is is imo better than Marciano, but then drops a level or two giving good boxers the chance to outbox him.

Yeah, Dempsey was a fast starter, but he never faced a HW masterboxer like Walcott (except Tunney, but I donīt count that, because Jack wasnīt peak), Jersey Joe was a tricky fighter, who could have survided the first rounds, and if he would have done that, I would pick him to outbox badly Jack and win viá late TKO...
Old 09-12-2007, 09:39 AM   #9
Maxmomer
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Yes, you are right but his most dangerous punches are his hooks.
That could be said about most fighters. He had great hooks, but all of his punches were effective, he was not nearly as 1 dimensional as that Johnson quote implies.
Maxmomer is offline  Top
Old 09-12-2007, 09:41 AM   #10
Luigi1985
Cane Corso
ESB Addict

Quote:
A good chin? His chin was granite and he was as tough and durable as they come, yet Dempsey still managed to knock him down 7 times in 1 round, and the last knockdown Willard was down longer than 10 but was saved by the bell.

You overact. Willardīs chin was never tested by an elite fighter who could punch, except against Dempsey and we know what happened...
Old 09-12-2007, 09:42 AM   #11
Maxmomer
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Yeah, Dempsey was a fast starter, but he never faced a HW masterboxer like Walcott (except Tunney, but I donīt count that, because Jack wasnīt peak), Jersey Joe was a tricky fighter, who could have survided the first rounds, and if he would have done that, I would pick him to outbox badly Jack and win viá late TKO...
Again with this mis-conception that Dempsey fades after the early rounds. He can stay live and dangerous enough for the distance and carries his KO power throughout a fight. There is a chance that Walcott could get a decision, but I doubt it. Dempsey would win by early-mid round KO or TKO, IMO.
Maxmomer is offline  Top
Old 09-12-2007, 09:43 AM   #12
Luigi1985
Cane Corso
ESB Addict

Quote:
Again with this mis-conception that Dempsey fades after the early rounds. He can stay live and dangerous enough for the distance and carries his KO power throughout a fight. There is a chance that Walcott could get a decision, but I doubt it. Dempsey would win by early-mid round KO or TKO, IMO.

Of course, I know, itīs a myth that Dempsey was only dangerous in the early rounds, but itīs right, at the beginning he was very dangerous.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:44 AM   #13
Maxmomer
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
You overact. Willardīs chin was never tested by an elite fighter who could punch, except against Dempsey and we know what happened...
Maybe not a big puncher, but he did take everything Jack Johnson had to offer over 26 rounds before getting the Knock Out and it took big puncher Louis Firpo (fellow victim of Dempsey's) 8 rounds to KO a badly shot willard.
Maxmomer is offline  Top
Old 09-12-2007, 09:46 AM   #14
Maxmomer
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Yes, he was. Like Tyson he just fought one way that´s nothing bad if you are very good at that but it is 1 dimensional.
He fought one style because it was the most effective style, but he could box when he had to, he had the skill. And yes, I know Johnson wasn't a monster puncher, still, 26 rounds of punishment before getting a knock out spells ultra durable to me.
Maxmomer is offline  Top
Old 09-12-2007, 09:46 AM   #15
Luigi1985
Cane Corso
ESB Addict

Quote:
Maybe not a big puncher, but he did take everything Jack Johnson had to offer over 26 rounds before getting the Knock Out and it took big puncher Louis Firpo (fellow victim of Dempsey's) 8 rounds to KO a badly shot willard.

I donīt say Willard didnīt have a very good chin, but itīs also a bit untested, Walcott on the other side faced 2 of the greatest punchers ever, in Louis and Marciano, so itīs normal that he suffered some KO- losses...

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum