Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 08-27-2009, 05:13 PM   #121
The Kurgan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 576
Default Re: Best Offensive Boxers ever

Ricardo Mayorga. He knew everything there is to know about being offensive.
The Kurgan is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-2009, 05:15 PM   #122
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Offense comprises so many things - speed, accuracy, footwork to land the punch, skill, workrate and yes power. I somehow doubt the skillful, fast, accurate yet less powerful boxers have been mentioned on this thread, which isn't quite right because many would kick the crap out of the slugging powerpunchers
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 08-27-2009, 08:15 PM   #123
Mantequilla
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Despite becoming a laughing stock to many hacks after the Duran loss and being often entirely dismissed as a fighter nowadays, Davey Moore was a tremendously talented offensive fighter, especially for someone of so few pro-fights that obviously had a lot of polishing to do in other areas(such as defence and ring-generalship).

Fast hands, very good power and every punch in the book.He had a nice stiff jab, excellent left-hook and threw beautiful heavy combo's, often up to 5-6 punches at a time.Most of all he had a terrific, accurate lead-right hand that was already an all-time kind of shot.A punch that took barely any time to crack even Benitez' radar, though Wilfred made up for it wiht some ridiculous moves in the corner afterward, despite a broken ankle.

I've always considered Leonard's offensive performance against kalule to be one of his best and most viscious, truly all-time great stuff as far as his combo's and variety of leads goes.Though he was fighting a vulnerable weight-weakened version of the African and took a great deal more punishment, Davey comfortably equalled it in his effort, and this with barely ten fights under his belt.

IMO, he had an almost Ike Williams-esque feel to his offensive work at times especially combined with the similar upright poised stance.Not a popular opinion now, especially among the anti-Duran crowd, but i tend t think he could have gone on to be a special fighter.He showed at least as much potential as the rapist Ayala that's for sure.
Mantequilla is offline  Top
Old 08-28-2009, 12:29 AM   #124
KTFO

vCash:

Ike Ibeabuchi
Old 08-28-2009, 09:44 AM   #125
Stonehands89
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantequilla View Post
Despite becoming a laughing stock to many hacks after the Duran loss and being often entirely dismissed as a fighter nowadays, Davey Moore was a tremendously talented offensive fighter, especially for someone of so few pro-fights that obviously had a lot of polishing to do in other areas(such as defence and ring-generalship).

Fast hands, very good power and every punch in the book.He had a nice stiff jab, excellent left-hook and threw beautiful heavy combo's, often up to 5-6 punches at a time.Most of all he had a terrific, accurate lead-right hand that was already an all-time kind of shot.A punch that took barely any time to crack even Benitez' radar, though Wilfred made up for it wiht some ridiculous moves in the corner afterward, despite a broken ankle.

I've always considered Leonard's offensive performance against kalule to be one of his best and most viscious, truly all-time great stuff as far as his combo's and variety of leads goes.Though he was fighting a vulnerable weight-weakened version of the African and took a great deal more punishment, Davey comfortably equalled it in his effort, and this with barely ten fights under his belt.

IMO, he had an almost Ike Williams-esque feel to his offensive work at times especially combined with the similar upright poised stance.Not a popular opinion now, especially among the anti-Duran crowd, but i tend t think he could have gone on to be a special fighter.He showed at least as much potential as the rapist Ayala that's for sure.
I believe that this is the best call on the thread. Excellent observations, Mantequilla.
Stonehands89 is offline  Top
Old 08-28-2009, 09:57 AM   #126
Manassa
-
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
Offense comprises so many things - speed, accuracy, footwork to land the punch, skill, workrate and yes power. I somehow doubt the skillful, fast, accurate yet less powerful boxers have been mentioned on this thread, which isn't quite right because many would kick the crap out of the slugging powerpunchers
I always think of it like; 'who could do the most damage to a moving heavy bag.'
Manassa is offline  Top
Old 08-28-2009, 11:35 AM   #127
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

vCash: 836

brilliant Mantequilla exactly what i was looking for

ill check out Leonard vs Kalule
GPater11093 is offline  Top
Old 11-24-2012, 11:22 AM   #128
LittleRed
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 475

Bbbbummmmm......
LittleRed is online now  Top
Old 11-24-2012, 02:14 PM   #129
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I have great respect for Julio Cesar Chavez as a supremely offensive fighter. That's "offensive" in the way this thread was intended to mean.
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 11-24-2012, 02:18 PM   #130
Vic-JofreBRASIL
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1166

Anyone mentioned Eder Jofre ?
Vic-JofreBRASIL is offline  Top
Old 11-24-2012, 02:18 PM   #131
Nightcrawler
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantequilla View Post

it's because of posts like this that you are well missed sir
Nightcrawler is offline  Top
Old 11-24-2012, 02:29 PM   #132
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic-JofreBRASIL View Post
..The only reason I didn't think of Jofre right off the bat is that he was more than just an offensive fighter...he had a balance of defense and offense that makes him a cut above just about all other fighters, especially those with just offense, IMO. I don't make lists anymore, but if I did, Jofre, with his sophisticated style, would be in the stratospheres with the very best.
Old 11-24-2012, 02:30 PM   #133
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Jofre is the SRR of the bantamweight division.
Old 11-24-2012, 02:31 PM   #134
LittleRed
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 475

Quote:
Originally Posted by red cobra View Post
I have great respect for Julio Cesar Chavez as a supremely offensive fighter. That's "offensive" in the way this thread was intended to mean.
Trailed off at the end (the thread and Chavez) but the man was solidly spectacular. Issued some of the most thorough and complete beatings i've ever seen against top ten competition. Accurate, heavy handed, threw combinations to the head and body. Perfect choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic-JofreBRASIL View Post
I don't think so great call. I think most of the top tier bantams were offensive rather than defensive geniuses: Ortiz, Harda, Olivares, Zarate. Even Canizales, while not on that level, was a absolutely complete offensive machine. Who is the bantamweight Pep, Canto, Whitaker, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightcrawler View Post
it's because of posts like this that you are well missed sir
Don't you know. Mantequilla is secretly-*is hit by poison dart* gaaahk! *falls over dead*
LittleRed is online now  Top
Old 11-24-2012, 02:39 PM   #135
the cobra
Awesomeizationism!
East Side Guru

He's a happy guy.
the cobra is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum