pipe wrenched
ESB ELITE SQUAD
East Side VIP

vCash: 1852
Default Re: A Mayweather Revisionist's worst nightmare:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobBaseHead
A post of mine from the other thread.

"Casamayor had been calling out Floyd even before he fought Freitas, in a post fight interview Floyd said he'd like to fight Casamayor, but it never happened. At 140 it was down to two opponents for Floyd, Cass and Mitchell and Floyd chose to fight the worn out Mitchell instead of Cassy".
Re-watch the Chop-chop Corley fight during which Lampley, Merchant, and Steward were calling for Floyd to fight Mitchell next, and Steward said he felt strongly that Mitchell would have Floyd's number. They were all saying they wanted PBF vs Mitchell to go down.
pipe wrenched is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2007, 08:55 PM   #47
codeman99998
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Someone earlier (I'm not going to bother going back to quote it) said Mayweather's stint at 140 was absolute garbage and they are right. The thing is, so was Hatton's and Cotto's.

Honestly, the fact that the three of them never fought each other at 140 is a discredit to all of them. Hell, Hatton is on the record saying that he is "not READY for Mayweather".
codeman99998 is offline  Top
Old 09-12-2007, 09:07 PM   #48
C Money
Paul McCloskey
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toopretty
I just think that Floyd didnt literally duck guys. I mean in a fight it aint always up to the fighters as we all know..Floyds camp goes for biggest money lowest risk since floyd became a p4p fighter. I mean when floyd fought a bum like gatti and made it to a headline ppv he realized the money is not with the quality of fighter but with the quality of the name. If you noticed floyd only goes after big names..ODH is the biggest name in the sport and has made many boxers rich. Though floyd did not fight CASA he did not take it light at 130. All of the guys he fought there were top guys and contenders..And to my boy and lawyer if I ever get locked up Cmoney. I just think Floyd is not a scared fighter..He has been in the ring and against fighters who were legit threats and he never showed any fear. Thats the only reason I cant get down with the ducking..Spaddy whooped floyd in sparring and it probably hurt his ego as you said he thought he could just jump in there and whoop him. But in a real fight I dont think Spaddy would win but he would not be a lame duck.
Too Pretty, if Floyd lays it down at 47 and beats the best and stops talking about risk/reward, this, that, and every other thing? We'll be on the same side!! I'll respect Floyd when the results are in!!!

Until then?? Based on the events and circumstances, I'm forced to be the skeptic.
C Money is offline  Top
Old 09-12-2007, 09:09 PM   #49
Ramshall1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRENZY
So what

Tony chose to fight the unranked Manuel Gomez instead of Mayweather

When Zab lost to Baldomir..Floyd offered Margo a shot..but..his camp claimed they couldn't break their date with the unranked WASHED-UP Gomez..

Who lets a guy like Gomez get in the way of a dream fight?

Arum never intended to let margo anywhere near FMJ
Margarito was already training for Gomez' style, Frauds is a totally different style. . . Ifv Fraud really wanted to fight Margarito he would not have left money on the table to avoid him.
Ramshall1 is offline  Top
Old 09-12-2007, 09:09 PM   #50
C Money
Paul McCloskey
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by whit
Well Cmoney I see what you mean. Like I said I like Floyd and all but when it comes down to GOAT status then yea regardless of styles you got to fight the best in your division to be considered. If he cleans out 147 (which I think he is more than capable of doing) Then yea Floyd will cement his legacy.

The best have always sought out the best, TO PROVE THEMSELVES.
No less should be expected of Floyd.

I question whether he can clean out 47 as Cotto, SSM, and Williams all have a solid chance of beating Mayweather. Yet, that's what makes it great and would allow Floyd TO EARN HIS STRIPES
C Money is offline  Top
Old 09-12-2007, 09:10 PM   #51
Ramshall1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Margarito offered Fraud 8 mil and free agnecy to fight him. . .. Goosen offered him 8 mil and no free agency for the baldy fight. . . FMJ had to pay Goosen a cut of his next fight (DLH) - thats why Goosen overpaid for the Baldy fight.

The money he paid Goosen from the DLH purse was the price he was willing to pay to DUCK Margarito. . . he's a ducker plain and simple.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:14 PM   #52
Toopretty
Custom made
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman99998
Someone earlier (I'm not going to bother going back to quote it) said Mayweather's stint at 140 was absolute garbage and they are right. The thing is, so was Hatton's and Cotto's.

Honestly, the fact that the three of them never fought each other at 140 is a discredit to all of them. Hell, Hatton is on the record saying that he is "not READY for Mayweather".

To quote Hatton correctly..he said "I am not ready for the likes of mayweather" You know you got to add the UK influence to it.
Toopretty is offline  Top
Old 09-12-2007, 09:25 PM   #53
codeman99998
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
To quote Hatton correctly..he said "I am not ready for the likes of mayweather" You know you got to add the UK influence to it.
Of course, I stand corrected.
codeman99998 is offline  Top
Old 09-12-2007, 09:53 PM   #54
Thread Stealer
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Dawg, I said "Casamayor comes into fights at 145". How can you confuse that with me meaning that's what he weighed on the weigh in? And you said "when"? I provided the link and now you say you were refering to official weigh-ins. He only fought at 130 and 135 so it's assumed he'll weigh that or a bit under. No asks that question unless it's about heavy weights... chill with the bull****.
I know, I didn't read it (think) carefully enough. I don't know why you would even bring up his weight on fight night anyway, it's irrelevant.
Thread Stealer is offline  Top
Old 09-12-2007, 10:00 PM   #55
C Money
Paul McCloskey
ESB Addict

Quote:
Well consider the timing of that statement. It came while under CONTRACT WITH ******!!

Frank ****** believed to th very end that Hatton was resigning with him, Team hatton wasnt tipping their hand and wasnt about to let ****** take an excessive amount of the pie

When the contract was up Floyd was already at 47 and then HBO made the 3 fight deal to build exposure and adjust Hatton to the weight, We all know Collazo didnt go as smoothly as planned and what transpired from that point.

Hatton wasnt scared, he was doing his own version of business

Had Floyd stayed at 40 until say January 2006 and then called out Ricky and he said he wasnt ready? Then you guy's could use that conjecture.

Either way, the fight is now happening, though it should be at 40, at least its HAPPENING FINALLY
C Money is offline  Top
Old 09-12-2007, 10:00 PM   #56
Marnoff
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Money
Floyd actually went back down to 30 to catch Corrales when he was having issues and facing incarceration.
Hmm, I keep seeing you insulting Floyd for fighting people who have had documents problems outside of the ring. Just wondering... does it ever count if you beat someone who has had problems? It's an honest question, since everyone has problems... so where do you personally draw the line and say, "Alright, the win counts."
Marnoff is offline  Top
Old 09-12-2007, 10:06 PM   #57
C Money
Paul McCloskey
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marnoff
Hmm, I keep seeing you insulting Floyd for fighting people who have had documents problems outside of the ring. Just wondering... does it ever count if you beat someone who has had problems? It's an honest question, since everyone has problems... so where do you personally draw the line and say, "Alright, the win counts."
I never said it didnt count. Do you not find it a little odd when Floyd makes offers that COINCIDE with people having problems?? Corrales and Spadafora were timed when neither man was at his best. In the case of Spadafora it was totally pathetic!! He hits rehab and the offer rolled in less than 72 hours later??? After talking **** and downplaying it for 3 years??

The opportunity exists to fight quality opponents, that arent in rehab or going to jail at 147, and he could UNIFY!!

All of that would be far more respectable and if it happens? I'll give floyd the proper respect for PROVING HIMSELF.
C Money is offline  Top
Old 09-12-2007, 10:18 PM   #58
Ramshall1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

To even suggest the Mitchell that fought Floyd is more dangerous or more worthy of the fight than Casamayor is just plain dumb.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:22 PM   #59
Thread Stealer
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Cuz it proves he can fight effectively at 147, he gave Corrales a boxing lesson that night. You said you wouldn't be impressed if Floyd beat Casamayor at 147, (I don't really believe you think that) even though it would've been Floyd's first fight at 147 too and no one has yet to beat Joel clearly. It would've surely been a much bigger win than Sharmba and one of Floyd's top wins, IF he woulda won... it would've gone the distance at least.
I'm not referring at all to day-of-the-fight weights. I'm talking about official weights, taken 30-32 hours before the fight.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:34 PM   #60
Thread Stealer
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
And??? There are lightweights who weigh 136 on fight night, Joel goes up to 145, that means he's a big LW who wouldn't be out of his league at 147. My point is valid.
It doesn't mean he'd be effective @ 147. Guys who put on that much weight are common nowadays in boxing.

De La Hoya for instance, weighed over 160 on fight night in the rematch with Chavez. Was he good at MW, or could he be above MW? Gatti weighed 160 unofficially on fight night for a contracted 141. lb fight, and unofficially around 145-150 in his 130-135 lb. fights. Corrales weighed unofficially 146 for a junior lightweight fight. Hatton has weight over the WW limit on fight nights for 140 lb. title fights.

How good do you think Carlos Baldomir would be at middlweight or above?

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum