80s champs is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-2007, 03:51 AM   #2
Azania
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Hearns vs Hagler at Lt Heavyweight

I say Hagler takes this one as well...Much as I love Tommy-one of my alltime favourites...his only chance against a charging-pressure Hagler was a killer right hand that could drop Marvin...Other than that,Hagler was gonna get to him sooner or later.We know Hagler could KO him MW,and I don't see any reason he can't do it at LHW.

But,like the original,it would be great while it lasted.I'd be rooting for Tommy to be sure..but I don't think he could have beaten Marvin.
Azania is offline  Top
Old 05-21-2013, 12:04 PM   #3
ThinBlack
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Tommy by UD, there's no guarantee that Hagler (probably not) would have been as sucessful at LHY as he was at MD.
ThinBlack is offline  Top
Old 05-21-2013, 02:19 PM   #4
heavy_hands
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinBlack View Post
Tommy by UD, there's no guarantee that Hagler (probably not) would have been as sucessful at LHY as he was at MD.
i agree, at lhw hagler would have been a fat midget, he was a small mw, at 175 he would have been much more slow with less stamina, tommy was longer and he could carry this weight better, he would outpoint hagler,
heavy_hands is offline  Top
Old 05-21-2013, 04:34 PM   #5
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1010

Tommy stops Marvin on a TKO in about 7. Hagler/Hearns was an interesting fight. They had no trouble hitting each other. I think it always ends in a knockout of some sort. And I think the rematch might have favored Tommy by TKO even at middleweight. If he just slowed the fight down and picked Marvin apart and dropped in the right hand occasionally, but not go for the knockout. Pretty much use the jab to well up Marvin's face and eventually he would get cut or swelled up and let the ref stop it. I know Tommy could have beaten Marvin. That first fight even though Tommy lost, he hit him clean and easily.
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Old 05-21-2013, 04:37 PM   #6
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azania View Post
I say Hagler takes this one as well...Much as I love Tommy-one of my alltime favourites...his only chance against a charging-pressure Hagler was a killer right hand that could drop Marvin...Other than that,Hagler was gonna get to him sooner or later.We know Hagler could KO him MW,and I don't see any reason he can't do it at LHW.

But,like the original,it would be great while it lasted.I'd be rooting for Tommy to be sure..but I don't think he could have beaten Marvin.
I think he could. he would have to modify his punching. That broken right was not a fluke. Marvin being southpaw either Tommy hits him straight on which then the force is on his right hand, or he punches him to the side and he might hit him to the top of the head which risks that kind of injury, and it was a knuckle injury. I think Tommy should have started off jabbing and slowing the pace down and then after 2 rounds or 3 start to drop in the right when Marvin is slower and Tommy can get the range. I know Tommy could have beaten Marvin. He hit him very clean and very easily and Marvin was swelling even in the middle of round one. But Tommy fought a reckless fight. Marvin fought a perfect fight, but he could not have done that again at that pace.
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Old 05-22-2013, 06:01 PM   #7
Clinton
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Hagler never indicated any desire whatsoever to move up at any point in his career, but fought at 168 as an am, so he probably would have come in in the low 160s. Doesn't matter if they are above 160 as Hagler was simply too tough for Tommy, although when they fought, Marv was already past his best. And lest we forget that Iran Barkley beat Tommy at both 160 and 175.
Clinton is offline  Top
Old 05-22-2013, 08:14 PM   #8
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clinton View Post
Hagler never indicated any desire whatsoever to move up at any point in his career, but fought at 168 as an am, so he probably would have come in in the low 160s. Doesn't matter if they are above 160 as Hagler was simply too tough for Tommy, although when they fought, Marv was already past his best. And lest we forget that Iran Barkley beat Tommy at both 160 and 175.
interesting thing about Hearns/Barkley, even though Barkley had a great style matchup for Hearns, in the rematch had the fight been 15 rounds Tommy would have knocked out Barkley. I think Barkley was ready to go. And I do think Hagler in a rematch would have been a totally different fight for Hearns. I think he gets distance and his right hand does some good damage, but to beat Marvin you don't go for the knockout. Use the jab and swell him up,, use the right just to keep him back.
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Old 05-22-2013, 09:07 PM   #9
Clinton
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAG1965 View Post
interesting thing about Hearns/Barkley, even though Barkley had a great style matchup for Hearns, in the rematch had the fight been 15 rounds Tommy would have knocked out Barkley. I think Barkley was ready to go. And I do think Hagler in a rematch would have been a totally different fight for Hearns. I think he gets distance and his right hand does some good damage, but to beat Marvin you don't go for the knockout. Use the jab and swell him up,, use the right just to keep him back.
You write these statements Mag: "..In the rematch had the fight been 15 rounds Tommy would have knocked out Barkley", "I know Tommy could have beaten Marvin", "Tommy stops Marvin in about 7". I mean are you serious? It's as if you are CERTAIN about a bunch of couldas, wouldas and shouldas. The fact is, the fight slowed down in the 2nd round as Tommy tried to box and he still couldn't keep Marvin off of him. That coupled with the fact that limited Barkley did NOTHING better than Hagler indicates to me that Tommy would never beat Marv unless it was the shot version. Plus there is no evidence that Tommy was a great lightheavyweight. None.It's not as if Tommy got a lot better when he moved up. The ONLY chance for a Hearns victory would be for Marvin to be stopped on cuts. And considering that Tommy was somewhat brittle, he would get stopped by Hagler every time they fought. Unless of course, as I wrote before, it was the shot version.
Clinton is offline  Top
Old 05-23-2013, 11:14 AM   #10
heavy_hands
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clinton View Post
yes a barkley was like hagler stylistically and physically
heavy_hands is offline  Top
Old 05-23-2013, 11:19 AM   #11
dyna
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1551

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAG1965 View Post
Tommy stops Marvin on a TKO in about 7. Hagler/Hearns was an interesting fight. They had no trouble hitting each other. I think it always ends in a knockout of some sort. And I think the rematch might have favored Tommy by TKO even at middleweight. If he just slowed the fight down and picked Marvin apart and dropped in the right hand occasionally, but not go for the knockout. Pretty much use the jab to well up Marvin's face and eventually he would get cut or swelled up and let the ref stop it. I know Tommy could have beaten Marvin. That first fight even though Tommy lost, he hit him clean and easily.
This, Hearns also had a frame that carried big weights better.

Hagler would be slower, p4p a weaker hitter, his chin advantage would become smaller, his stamina would take a big hit.
The higher it goes, the less of a chance Hagler got.

Here is Hagler besides a true lhw.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

He looks like a little boy
dyna is offline  Top
Old 05-23-2013, 11:35 AM   #12
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s champs View Post
Would have been interesting in the mid to late 80s

I see the same result. Hagler simply too strong for Hearns.
Stevie G is offline  Top
Old 05-23-2013, 12:05 PM   #13
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

vCash: 330

At mw Hagler was too big for Tommy but at lhw Tommy will be too big for Hagler.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 05-23-2013, 12:25 PM   #14
dyna
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1551

Quote:
Originally Posted by lufcrazy View Post
At mw Hagler was too big for Tommy but at lhw Tommy will be too big for Hagler.
Don't think Hagler was too big, Hearns simply loved to brawl too much and Hagler knew it.

At lhw this woulnd't have mattered as Hagler his physical advantages in a brawl would have been gone.
dyna is offline  Top
Old 05-23-2013, 12:31 PM   #15
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

vCash: 330

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyna View Post
Don't think Hagler was too big, Hearns simply loved to brawl too much and Hagler knew it.

At lhw this woulnd't have mattered as Hagler his physical advantages in a brawl would have been gone.
No matter the weight limit, Hagler will be the bigger and better fighter.

he will always push hagler's shit all the way in.
lufcrazy is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum