Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 10-31-2012, 07:40 AM   #1
jdr
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 309
Default Barry Mcguigan

I am looking for honest opinions here i know the feeling of most is that he is not worthy of a hall of fame place . Sayiny that at his best just how good was he and just how much was the heat a factor in the Cruz fight. After all if the extreme heat can even effect a fighter as magical as robinson then it could well of played a big part in the Mcduigan/Cruz fight.
jdr is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-2012, 08:01 AM   #2
Bollox
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: Barry Mcguigan

Quite a good fighter but was kept away from Azumah Nelson, and for very good reason. Heat was obviously a factor in the Cruz fight but if he'd won I doubt he would have gone much further in his career unless he faced average opposition. Nelson, Fenech and Esparragosa all would have beaten him at 126
Bollox is offline  Top
Old 10-31-2012, 08:15 AM   #3
thistle1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

underrated, capable and fit for any of his peers...

would he have beat them?

he might have, but the betting would have been against him!
thistle1 is offline  Top
Old 10-31-2012, 08:26 AM   #4
doug.ie
'Classic Boxing Society'
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

he fought and beat very good opposition on his way to the title which is sometimes overlooked in fairness....but nelson would have handled him i have no doubt.

i always thought he shouldnt have been in the hall of fame, but the recent documentary reminded me what he did uniting ireland at the height of the troubles...as a sporting figure he deserves recognition for that

as for the heat in the cruz fight, yup, obviously a factor...cruz would have been used to that sort of heat, mcguigan wouldnt....but when you mentioned robinson, i'm reminded of the great quote maxim gave afterwards..."there was no refrigerator in my corner"
doug.ie is online now  Top
Old 10-31-2012, 08:36 AM   #5
Mr Butt
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1054

lets not forget that Robinson had moved up in weight and was fighting a naturally bigger man so that must be added to the heat but the heat that night was also a factor that maxim would of had to struggle with

i am always stating that Mcguigan really is lucky to be in the hall of fame but as already stated here he did more for his country than just represent it in a boxing ring

i agree that he would have lost to nelson but i actually fancy him to beat fenech at 126lbs
Mr Butt is offline  Top
Old 10-31-2012, 08:43 AM   #6
thistle1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug.ie View Post
he fought and beat very good opposition on his way to the title which is sometimes overlooked in fairness....but nelson would have handled him i have no doubt.

i always thought he shouldnt have been in the hall of fame, but the recent documentary reminded me what he did uniting ireland at the height of the troubles...as a sporting figure he deserves recognition for that

as for the heat in the cruz fight, yup, obviously a factor...cruz would have been used to that sort of heat, mcguigan wouldnt....but when you mentioned robinson, i'm reminded of the great quote maxim gave afterwards..."there was no refrigerator in my corner"
the Heat was the ONLY factor, Cruz was used to it and so was SRR & Maxim and any fighters that made their home in the North Eastern states, HUMID as ****.

But in McGuigan's Cold & Raining Ireland & the UK, you cannot get used to that heat.

I lived in Toronto and the Okanagan Valley BC (Canada's hottest place) and you just can't bare it. McGuigan fought a helluva fight in such extreme conditions, I'm surprised he made it to the end never mind rule the fight till that point.

Credit where it's due, Barry was a great fighter and a worthy HOFamer for my money!
thistle1 is offline  Top
Old 10-31-2012, 09:12 AM   #7
BlackBrenny
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Butt View Post
lets not forget that Robinson had moved up in weight and was fighting a naturally bigger man so that must be added to the heat but the heat that night was also a factor that maxim would of had to struggle with

i am always stating that Mcguigan really is lucky to be in the hall of fame but as already stated here he did more for his country than just represent it in a boxing ring

i agree that he would have lost to nelson but i actually fancy him to beat fenech at 126lbs
except he didn't, it was all a load of *******s, and I hate the constant implication that the troubles were about religion, they weren't, Barry may have been catholic, but he's as unionist as Ian Paisley. Boxing was NEVER sectarian here.

Barry was a good fighter who got into the hall of fame based on the lie that he "united" the people of Ulster, thats sad, and it downplays what the troubles were really about.

Let's use Frampton as an example, if Frampton was around in the 70s, he would have gotten just as much support from both sides as he does today, even without the Danny Boy *******s and wearing doves and carrying peace flags to the ring, such a load of ****.
BlackBrenny is offline  Top
Old 10-31-2012, 09:21 AM   #8
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru

Very good fighter who was awesome in going for the body. I thought that Bernard Taylor was going to break in half at some points in their bout !

Barry beat a past prime,but still very useful,Eusebio Pedroza and a damn good contender in Juan La Porte.

He may not have been one of the VERY greats,but not too far off.
Stevie G is offline  Top
Old 10-31-2012, 02:48 PM   #9
TED 822
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Agree with most of the other posters,that Barry a top fighter.May have been kept away from Nelson and may have lost but would,Im sure have given a good account of himself.I feel if hed fought Steve Cruz 5 times hed have won 4,all except that one,as I reckon Juan Laporte and Taylor better than Steve.He could be a victim of his own modesty as he brags a lot more about Frampton than he ever did about himself.Seen him at shows and always having photos,etc with fans.Hall of Fame,hell yes.
TED 822 is offline  Top
Old 10-31-2012, 03:36 PM   #10
salsanchezfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I have felt for a while that he's a bit underrated here. Not a great featherweight by any means, and Nelson would've had him for lunch, but he was still quite good in his short time. Strong, excellent body attack, pulverising hook.....you can go a long way with those tools, and he did. Too often I think we get wrapped up in the "if he wasn't the ATG in his division, then he's ****" attitude. At least on this site as a whole. There's an awful lot of quality, entertaining in-between stuff there.
salsanchezfan is offline  Top
Old 10-31-2012, 03:50 PM   #11
ron u.k.
Belt holder
ESB Addict

It seems fashionable on here recently to down play McGuigan's achievements but he was a very good fighter if not a great one.
You could compare him in status say to someone else who's recently been discussed on here Carlos Palomino not a great,but definitely just a notch below.
A helluva body puncher with a great work rate and great fighting heart.
I always thought he was possibly a better fighter on his way up to winning the title than after he won it.
HOF? Definitely
ron u.k. is offline  Top
Old 10-31-2012, 04:54 PM   #12
Bollox
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Butt View Post

I can't see anything that Barry had in his ****nal that Fenech couldn't cope with. McGuigan the pressure fighter coming up against another pressure fighter. I don't think Barry would have coped
Bollox is offline  Top
Old 10-31-2012, 06:13 PM   #13
johnmaff36
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bollox View Post
Quite a good fighter but was kept away from Azumah Nelson, and for very good reason. Heat was obviously a factor in the Cruz fight but if he'd won I doubt he would have gone much further in his career unless he faced average opposition. Nelson, Fenech and Esparragosa all would have beaten him at 126
your username is quite apt. McGuigan won an eliminater for the commonwealth title, Nelson was champ, Nelson relinquished. Doesnt sound like he was kept away from him to me.
johnmaff36 is offline  Top
Old 10-31-2012, 06:28 PM   #14
johnmaff36
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, it really is. How many guys here picking Nelson to beat him convincingly thought that at the time? Not too many. How many thought Nelson was a great fighter at that period of time? Again, not too many Nelsons claim to fame at that time was being stopped by Sanchez and beating a Gomez who had recently moved up from bantam. Their only common opponent was Chitule which they both stopped in 10. There was nothing from Nelson at that time to suggest he was gonna turn out the great fighter he did.

Nelson IS a great fighter, of that i have no doubt, as his full career will show. But the McGuigan of the window of early 85/ early 86 (when the clamour was at its height) was a very good fighter indeed, just rewatch some of his fights, a very good fighter. Plus he had the better results at that stage too (IMO). He gives Nelson all he wants at this stage in both their careers. A 50/50 fight.
johnmaff36 is offline  Top
Old 10-31-2012, 06:34 PM   #15
lora
Fighting Zapata
ESB Addict

It was the Danilo Cabrera fight that probably first had many thinking Nelson would have defeated Barry.

McGuigan made hard work of the fight and took a lot of shots.Nelson looked much stronger and toyed with him.

It's also a bit harsh to say Nelson had done nothing to show he would be a great fighter.He got great plaudits for the Sanchez fight(maybe a bit more than he deserved as there were loads who didn't want to acknowledge Sanchez had weaknesses) and had looked great against Mitchell, Gomez etc He was soundly established and well on his way to being nicely overhyped by the American boxing press due to the Sanchez\Gomez connection.america had a hard on for McGuigan as well though.
lora is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum