Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 08-27-2009, 02:25 PM   #1
Jamie26

vCash: 75
Default Paul appleby

British champion at 20 . Beat up by lyndsay away from home in a hostile environent . Does any 1 else think he was stepped up too quickly .

I know ****** gets stick for being too cautious ( I agree ) but I think gilmour has went the other way , and mismanaged a good prospect .
Jamie26 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-2009, 02:28 PM   #2
Paddy
ESB Founders Club
ESB Addict

vCash: 174
Default Re: Paul appleby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie26 View Post
British champion at 20 . Beat up by lyndsay away from home in a hostile environent . Does any 1 else think he was stepped up too quickly .

I know ****** gets stick for being too cautious ( I agree ) but I think gilmour has went the other way , and mismanaged a good prospect .
Appleby is still a good prospect who was simply beaten by a better man on the night

He will learn from the experiance

hes probably learned more from t hat loss than his previous 5 wins
Paddy is offline  Top
Old 08-27-2009, 02:50 PM   #3
nutter
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie26 View Post

From where I standing at in the hall, Appleby looked badly hurt but in truth I was hoping the ref would have let the fight go a little longer so Lindsay could have KOed Appleby cleanly. I was hating Appleby that night I dont know why, I didnt feel like that before the fight, but when I became part of that crazy crowd cheering for Applebys blood I changed while in the hall. Belfast can do that to you, so I was glad to get home to peaceful and quiet Dundalk.
nutter is offline  Top
Old 08-27-2009, 03:02 PM   #4
Mazallan
ESB yes man
ESB Addict

Location: Tempted by the fruit of another...tempted that the truth is discovered..
vCash: 1841

Hype got in the way of building up a decent prospect.
Mazallan is offline  Top
Old 08-27-2009, 05:09 PM   #5
NO MAS
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I think it was muted that he got 100k to fight in Belfast...

That is serious till for a British title defence at 20 years of age...Money he could not turn down if it was true...

He will come again.. I thought boxed the wrong fight and was drawn in far to easy....
NO MAS is offline  Top
Old 08-27-2009, 05:44 PM   #6
billy nelson
the fighting scots gym
East Side Guru

i think your spot on no mas,paul is far better than that last performance but credit to martin who fought really well.
billy nelson is offline  Top
Old 08-27-2009, 05:51 PM   #7
NO MAS
Belt holder
ESB Addict

[quote=billy nelson;4812912]i think your spot on no mas,paul is far better than that last performance but credit to martin who fought really well.[/quote]

Yes I agree 100%, Martin did what he had to... did Paul get any options on Martin to go again??...
NO MAS is offline  Top
Old 08-27-2009, 06:18 PM   #8
billy nelson
the fighting scots gym
East Side Guru

i wouldnt have thought so hence pauls boxing for the european title,this in itself makes a mockery of ratings,you can lose your last fight for the british title but box for the euro title in your next fight?
Old 08-27-2009, 06:34 PM   #9
NO MAS
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy nelson View Post
i wouldnt have thought so hence pauls boxing for the european title,this in itself makes a mockery of ratings,you can lose your last fight for the british title but box for the euro title in your next fight?
It is easy to see why they rolled the dice with the fight in Belfast...I am not a fan of the Euro title as many fighters will side step the British Title to try and get the ratings off the Euro title and get them onto a World stage for an alphabet World Title....

But I understand for the fighters it is about making money and securing good paydays to support their families...
NO MAS is offline  Top
Old 08-27-2009, 06:40 PM   #10
johnp
Reject
ESB Full Member

I think Gilmour saw the and thought "It'll be good experience for the youngster!"
johnp is offline  Top
Old 08-28-2009, 03:04 AM   #11
billy nelson
the fighting scots gym
East Side Guru

your better gaining the experience then earning the money,if it is the case they fought for 's its backfired badly.
Old 08-28-2009, 04:18 AM   #12
icemax
Indian Red
East Side VIP

vCash: 664

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
Appleby is still a good prospect who was simply beaten by a better man on the night

He will learn from the experiance

hes probably learned more from t hat loss than his previous 5 wins
Lindsay is a decent little fighter and beats Appleby every day of the week. Support on this board for Appleby took on almost mythic proportions after beating an average Simpson, the lad will earn a living, but he will never hit the heights.
icemax is offline  Top
Old 08-28-2009, 04:56 AM   #13
kerrminator
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemax View Post
Lindsay is a decent little fighter and beats Appleby every day of the week. Support on this board for Appleby took on almost mythic proportions after beating an average Simpson, the lad will earn a living, but he will never hit the heights.

Id back Simpson to beat Lindsay fairly comfortably (and Appleby outside of belfast)

Simpson has a very decieving record that has a few dodgy results against him (especially his clear cut win against Dazzo imo)
kerrminator is offline  Top
Old 08-28-2009, 05:37 AM   #14
theuppercut
Blackpudding supper
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrminator View Post
Id back Simpson to beat Lindsay fairly comfortably (and Appleby outside of belfast)

Simpson has a very decieving record that has a few dodgy results against him (especially his clear cut win against Dazzo imo)

Seconded
theuppercut is offline  Top
Old 08-28-2009, 05:42 AM   #15
Mazallan
ESB yes man
ESB Addict

Location: Tempted by the fruit of another...tempted that the truth is discovered..
vCash: 1841

Simpson vs Lindsay would be a very good fight and pretty much 50/50 where ever it took place.
Mazallan is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum