Old 08-28-2009, 06:24 AM   #16
kerrminator
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Paul appleby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazallan View Post
Simpson vs Lindsay would be a very good fight and pretty much 50/50 where ever it took place.
I know the hostile crowd wouldnt faze John as much as he has more experience in that situation and has been in against hostile crowds before.

I honestly dont see whats so good about Lindsay. He's a decent domestic fighter but has reached his full potential imo. Derry was caught with a good shot from Lindsay and it can happen to anyone but he was beating him fairly comfortably on my card up until that point. I'd tip Derry to win in the rematch if it happens (Paul too)
kerrminator is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-2009, 07:01 AM   #17
Mazallan
ESB yes man
ESB Addict

Location: Tempted by the fruit of another...tempted that the truth is discovered..
vCash: 1841

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrminator View Post
I know the hostile crowd wouldnt faze John as much as he has more experience in that situation and has been in against hostile crowds before.

I honestly dont see whats so good about Lindsay. He's a decent domestic fighter but has reached his full potential imo. Derry was caught with a good shot from Lindsay and it can happen to anyone but he was beating him fairly comfortably on my card up until that point. I'd tip Derry to win in the rematch if it happens (Paul too)

Yep. I do not see any of the currnt crop doing to well at elite level but if Dunne can become a 'pretend' world champ then no reason why some of these guys can too.

All that matters is that we are getting good fights so any success the fighters get is well earned.
Mazallan is offline  Top
Old 08-28-2009, 07:04 AM   #18
Losfer_Words
★★★ 2 TONE EXPRESS ★★★
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
Appleby is still a good prospect who was simply beaten by a better man on the night

He will learn from the experiance

hes probably learned more from t hat loss than his previous 5 wins
My thoughts exactly. It was an entertaining fight so he has nothing to feel bad about. Appleby will hopefully be around for some time yet.
Losfer_Words is offline  Top
Old 08-28-2009, 09:30 AM   #19
PatrickP
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Yep. I do not see any of the currnt crop doing to well at elite level but if Dunne can become a 'pretend' world champ then no reason why some of these guys can too.

All that matters is that we are getting good fights so any success the fighters get is well earned.
Mazallan, the difference is that Dunne is world class and Simpson and Appleby are domestic/European at best. Simpson and Appleby are struggling to get to Euro level, Dunne has been there and is now at world level so that comparison holds no weight.

Both Simpson and Appleby have been beaten at domestic level and you think that they would be able to handle a guy of Cordoba's calibre
PatrickP is offline  Top
Old 08-28-2009, 09:54 AM   #20
Leighton T
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

I think ur underestimating the ability of appleby... I think with the right trainer and & guidance he can go places!!!!
Leighton T is offline  Top
Old 08-28-2009, 01:04 PM   #21
kerrminator
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Young Paul has onle recently turned 21 so his career so far (for his age) is rather impressive and certainly no worse than most fighters I can think of who went on to bigger things.
kerrminator is offline  Top
Old 08-28-2009, 01:08 PM   #22
TFFP
The Eskimo
East Side VIP

vCash: 2500

It was the money from what I recall; he got paid big, huge for a British title fight by Hayemaker. It was probably an offer he couldn't refuse.

Also, you are looking back with the benefit of hindsight, at the time all Lindsay had done was beat Derry Matthews who has been somewhat exposed. Appleby was considered the more accomplished fighter, and that was reflected in him being made slight favourite.

As for Appleby himself he can improve. He can learn to be more patient, work his openings, fight with his head more than his heart. Unforunately he's a little bit slow.
TFFP is offline  Top
Old 08-28-2009, 01:13 PM   #23
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

I think Appleby can come again, and fair play to him for accepting a tough challenge in Lindsay.

Many other fighters (perhaps their promoters) prefer to keep things ticking over with easy defences, get the Lonsdale for keeps then move on.

At least this way the young kid has the opportunity to learn from his mistakes and improve. I don't see him getting to world level, but he will most likely have a decent career.

He at least beat John Simpson, unlike Dazzo Williams and Derry Matthews.
Beeston Brawler is offline  Top
Old 08-28-2009, 01:36 PM   #24
Mazallan
ESB yes man
ESB Addict

Location: Tempted by the fruit of another...tempted that the truth is discovered..
vCash: 1841

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickP View Post
Mazallan, the difference is that Dunne is world class and Simpson and Appleby are domestic/European at best. Simpson and Appleby are struggling to get to Euro level, Dunne has been there and is now at world level so that comparison holds no weight.

Both Simpson and Appleby have been beaten at domestic level and you think that they would be able to handle a guy of Cordoba's calibre

Appleby would beat the shit out of Dunne.
Mazallan is offline  Top
Old 08-28-2009, 01:38 PM   #25
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Dunne was KTFO at European level by Martinez....
Beeston Brawler is offline  Top
Old 08-28-2009, 01:47 PM   #26
TFFP
The Eskimo
East Side VIP

vCash: 2500

You can't always hold that against him though...I was the same, I thought he was a bit of a chin chin that wouldn't amount to much but he did beat Cordoba and Cordoba is far more accomplished than Martinez.

I guess we'll find out if Cordoba was a once in a life time performance or whether he's really improved. He still seems a bit vulnerable but he definitely held a shot better.
TFFP is offline  Top
Old 08-28-2009, 02:15 PM   #27
PatrickP
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Appleby would beat the shit out of Dunne.
Appleby couldn't even "beat the shit" out of a domestic level fighter in Lindsay.
PatrickP is offline  Top
Old 08-28-2009, 03:40 PM   #28
nickythekid
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

decent fighter, respectable skills, game as you like and keen to improve, decent european or maybe fringe world with the right fights at right time. i always like watching him when hes on. dunne was fighting cordoba in a bear pit, i wonder would he have produced the goods had things been the other way around? appleby still young but will have the measure of those fighters a bit further down the road.....maybe....imo
nickythekid is offline  Top
Old 08-28-2009, 03:51 PM   #29
PatrickP
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickythekid View Post
decent fighter, respectable skills, game as you like and keen to improve, decent european or maybe fringe world with the right fights at right time. i always like watching him when hes on. dunne was fighting cordoba in a bear pit, i wonder would he have produced the goods had things been the other way around? appleby still young but will have the measure of those fighters a bit further down the road.....maybe....imo
The crowd at the Dunne V Cordoba fight were not in the least bit hostile, Cordoba said himself how good the crowd were and how he would love to fight in Ireland again. What is it now with all these UK fans thinking that any half decent Brit fighter would beat Dunne or are even on the same level? These comparisons are laughable, first Simpson, now Appleby I think Appleby is a talented kid but he needs someone to guide him and not throw him in at the deep end before he's ready, he could be really good but only time will tell.

Last edited by PatrickP; 08-28-2009 at 04:10 PM.
PatrickP is offline  Top
Old 08-28-2009, 04:16 PM   #30
nickythekid
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickP View Post
The crowd at the Dunne V Cordoba fight were not in the least bit hostile, Cordoba said himself how good the crowd were and how he would love to fight in Ireland again. What is it now with all these UK fans thinking that any half decent Brit fighter would beat Dunne or are even on the same level? These comparisons are laughable, first Simpson, now Appleby I think Appleby is a talented kid but he needs someone to guide him and not throw him in at the deep end before he's ready, he could be really good but only time will tell.

didn't mean they were hostile but i could feel the passion and energy through the tv screen which is rare, just wonder did it lift him that extra bit to take the win, it was a great fight though and admirable performance. I do think appleby will be on or near that level down the line though
nickythekid is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum