Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 08-27-2009, 04:30 PM   #1
shommel
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default how many champions and contenders have been.....

accused of being wife/girlfriend beaters?past and present?
shommel is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-2009, 05:07 PM   #2
Bill1234
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Default Re: how many champions and contenders have been.....

Well, the ones I hear about most often are Jake LaMotta and Sugar Ray Robinson.
Bill1234 is online now  Top
Old 08-27-2009, 05:20 PM   #3
Thread Stealer
P4P King
East Side VIP

Ray Leonard
Ray Robinson
Jake LaMotta
Floyd Mayweather
Mike Tyson
Diego Corrales
Arturo Gatti
Joe Louis (admitted to assaulting GF Lena Horne in his autobiography)
Thread Stealer is offline  Top
Old 08-27-2009, 05:31 PM   #4
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

Who cares the bitches deserved it
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 08-27-2009, 05:37 PM   #5
Chinxkid
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Maybe this won't be a popular angle, but guys that make their living beating people up have to make a conscious choice not to carry that into their other life, and who can infuriate us more than those we love? Alotta you guys know I had a father who was a pro fighter, and get this, my brother and I were the ONLY two boys on our street who didn't get beat by their father. And, more to the point of the thread, he never laid a hand on my mother either, though they had some wars.
Chinxkid is offline  Top
Old 08-27-2009, 05:41 PM   #6
AlFrancis
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinxkid View Post
Maybe this won't be a popular angle, but guys that make their living beating people up have to make a conscious choice not to carry that into their other life, and who can infuriate us more than those we love? Alotta you guys know I had a father who was a pro fighter, and get this, my brother and I were the ONLY two boys on our street who didn't get beat by their father. And, more to the point of the thread, he never laid a hand on my mother either, though they had some wars.

Same for me. My old fella never laid a hand on me, my brothers or my mum.
AlFrancis is offline  Top
Old 08-27-2009, 05:46 PM   #7
Chinxkid
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlFrancis View Post
Same for me. My old fella never laid a hand on me, my brothers or my mum.
You know, I knew that already from the love I hear in your voice when you discuss him. Just a question though Al, did he have a violent streak in his private life or did he see it as two separate worlds? Hope that's clear. I guess what I'm getting at is, do you believe NOT beating your wives and kids is more challenging for a fighter? To not resort to the familiar way of handling frustrating things?
Chinxkid is offline  Top
Old 08-27-2009, 06:15 PM   #8
Thread Stealer
P4P King
East Side VIP

It's understandable (NOT excusable) that some fighters can't control their violence to the ring.

You're training all the time to be violent, you make your living by being violent with your fists.
Thread Stealer is offline  Top
Old 08-27-2009, 06:18 PM   #9
AlFrancis
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
You know, I knew that already from the love I hear in your voice when you discuss him. Just a question though Al, did he have a violent streak in his private life or did he see it as two separate worlds? Hope that's clear. I guess what I'm getting at is, do you believe NOT beating your wives and kids is more challenging for a fighter? To not resort to the familiar way of handling frustrating things?

No, I'll be honest with you. He's a very easy going man. Even when he was fighting he was very relaxed, at home Im talking about. It was always my mum who took us to task. my dad was one of those fellas that would give us a talking to which was sometimes worse than a slap of my mum.
Don't get me wrong he could lose his temper and start shouting but he's always had a very slow fuse. When he did start shouting we took notice (even now haha) because it wasnt something he did all the time and no sooner did he lose it then he was back in control.

That's me and him in the avatar by the way circa 1968
What about you're old man?
Old 08-27-2009, 06:19 PM   #10
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
That is how it should be.

Personaly I won't hit a man if I can help it.

If some 18 year old kid starts to think he is Mike Tyson and takes a swing at me, I try to take him down without hurting him, and I hope that teaches him more than beating him up would.
janitor is offline  Top
Old 08-27-2009, 06:28 PM   #11
Chinxkid
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlFrancis View Post
No, I'll be honest with you. He's a very easy going man. Even when he was fighting he was very relaxed, at home Im talking about. It was always my mum who took us to task. my dad was one of those fellas that would give us a talking to which was sometimes worse than a slap of my mum.
Don't get me wrong he could lose his temper and start shouting but he's always had a very slow fuse. When he did start shouting we took notice (even now haha) because it wasnt something he did all the time and no sooner did he lose it then he was back in control.

That's me and him in the avatar by the way circa 1968
What about you're old man?
Nice photo Al, I figured it was you and your dad.

Well, my dad was an emotional Mediterranean type, so he could get heated and then more heated, and there were times when I thought he'd let it get the best of him. But I think I always knew, make that hoped, that he'd never tear into me. A very frightening prospect. Truth is I think he knew he'd kill me, or hurt me really bad so he had to learn to keep himself in check. Lucky for me he did. He was really a loving guy ... it's funny 'cause I just came off the Lounge where someone posted a video to a tune called, "The day I died was the best day of my life," saying that the song makes him cry and it almost did me too. Of course I was thinking of my day who's been gone a long time. He really was a sweetheart of a guy. I have regrets about the day he died, namely that I was on the other side of the U.S. at the time. Big regrets.
Chinxkid is offline  Top
Old 08-27-2009, 06:30 PM   #12
Chinxkid
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor View Post
That is how it should be.

Personaly I won't hit a man if I can help it.

If some 18 year old kid starts to think he is Mike Tyson and takes a swing at me, I try to take him down without hurting him, and I hope that teaches him more than beating him up would.
Good for you, Janitor. That takes REAL strength.
Chinxkid is offline  Top
Old 08-27-2009, 06:37 PM   #13
AlFrancis
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thread Stealer View Post
It's understandable (NOT excusable) that some fighters can't control their violence to the ring.

You're training all the time to be violent, you make your living by being violent with your fists.
I agree with you it's not excusable. I've grown up around boxers and most of them are easy going men. I don't agree that fighters train to be violent although it is a violent sport I very much doubt that many fighters feel rage in the ring.
Obviously there are fighters who have been wife beaters and I don't know what the statistics say but I woldn't imagine that it would be any any higher than your average joe.
Sadly there are fellas from all walks of life that will come home from a hard day at work or the boozer and give the missus a hiding.
I live in Spain and apparently it is pretty bad here, they don't even have hardly any boxing here. I think a lot of it is down to ignorance, even treating their wives like there fathers treated there mothers before them.
Old 08-27-2009, 06:47 PM   #14
AlFrancis
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Nice photo Al, I figured it was you and your dad.

Well, my dad was an emotional Mediterranean type, so he could get heated and then more heated, and there were times when I thought he'd let it get the best of him. But I think I always knew, make that hoped, that he'd never tear into me. A very frightening prospect. Truth is I think he knew he'd kill me, or hurt me really bad so he had to learn to keep himself in check. Lucky for me he did. He was really a loving guy ... it's funny 'cause I just came off the Lounge where someone posted a video to a tune called, "The day I died was the best day of my life," saying that the song makes him cry and it almost did me too. Of course I was thinking of my day who's been gone a long time. He really was a sweetheart of a guy. I have regrets about the day he died, namely that I was on the other side of the U.S. at the time. Big regrets.

You'll have to send us the link for that song, I can't find it. Or start the jukebox up again.
Old 08-27-2009, 06:50 PM   #15
teeto
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: Team Ireland Manor, Easing Pabuiao into the life of managing the GOAT

Just been reading all your posts here. Me and my mate were talking about this not long ago. I said something to him like 'it's mad how some of the best fighters ever, and jsut loads of others, are known to have beaten their wives'. I was getting at the angle of 'boxing is just a sport like any other', he just looked at me and said, 'lad, they're violent people'. And he's not an armchair fan, knows his boxing and boxing history as well as me.

Then i sort of was brought down to earth and realised how naive i had been, sort of.
teeto is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum