Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-28-2009, 08:25 PM   #1
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Mosley vs Clottey

who you got?

I wouldn't be surprised if Clottey beat Mosley and his style proves to be all wrong for him.

Having said that, Clottey has to make me a believer for me to ever pick him against top level and clever fighters. I just don't like his disposition in the ring where it takes him 30 seconds to reset a combo. It's not a good thing when you have a guy (Cotto) with an eye busted up in front of you and can't step on the gas for in-fighting and brawling close quarters. Look at what Timothy did vs. Nate after the cut and rewind back to Joshua. One smells blood and shark attacks while the other just ear muffs and admires his work from 30 secs ago.

The reason i say I wouldn't surprise if Shane lost to really any top level fighter at this point is because the man is 37/38 yrs old and has been in some wars. He will eventually lose to the man who's career record is 500-0 with no draws and that's Father Time. But in lieu of arm chair ****ysis after the fact, I just don't see right now how Shane loses to a 90 second a round fighter. Unless Shane gets old or badly cut early, I see easy in-n-out combos in the center and getting off first for a clear points win.

Some will mention Winky and how Shane struggled with that style, However Clottey is no Winky, Winky is taller, more active, better and more consistant Jab, harder and more resolute shell and has more variety in his punches...not to mention he's just a better all round fighter. Shane under Naseem Richardson is a different guy than the Shane( under Jack) who fought Winky. You see the body work, smarter and the inside Mugging Shane put on Margarito...the same guy that fought Winky is the same fighter most predicted would get blown out by Margarito. Clottey ain't no Vernon either who kept him at bay with that brillient rangy jab.

Granted Clottey is accurate with a decent jab. But it's precisely that "accuracy" which has transfixed him into being a fighter that wastes precious minutes of a round to land a rifle. Meanwhile Shane is using a shotgun and bagging up the compubox but even more important, the points. Clottey needs to wipe the slate clean on the way he fought Cotto or even Judah for the most part, and start to create Off by taking more chances. Anything short of that old Joshua will have another charge off on his credit report.

not to mention the guy always finds a way to lose his biggest fights due to lack of aggression and workrate. You have to be a "active" boxer to beat Shane. One thing is guarenteed with Clottey's style 1) his opponents are up on points for most of his big fights; and B) He'll always have something to complain about after.

Last edited by slip&counter; 10-16-2009 at 12:10 PM.
slip&counter is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-2009, 08:32 PM   #2
Dan684
Dave's Stepdad
East Side Guru

vCash: 75
Default Re: Mosley vs Clottey

Shane wins. this will be hard but I bet you know if he wins this and rematches Cotto (who gets beat by Pac) before April, he'd beat Cotto. he took the Cotto fight with such a long layoff he looked poor, similiar to his Mayorga performance. He only had 3 and a half months inbetween Mayorga and Margharito and look how he did then. He struggle through Clottey.
Dan684 is offline  Top
Old 08-28-2009, 08:40 PM   #3
Losfer_Words
★★★ 2 TONE EXPRESS ★★★
East Side Guru

Many will automatically think Mosley but this is a very interesting clash of styles. At times, Cotto had Clottey in trouble before backing off- Mosley's speed and intensity should be enough to nullify Clottey. Mosley will bring it and if anyone is lazy enough to lose it on points, it's Clottey. I think due to the styles Mosley has enough to outbox Clottey. Shane wins via UD but Clottey remains unmarked (I don't think the bloke is human) and produces more comical 'gigs' on the way to the ring.

Interesting and exciting fight- the end of the year is looking awesome.
Losfer_Words is offline  Top
Old 08-28-2009, 08:43 PM   #4
kosaros
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 999

Lets just hope Clottey really does realise he is in the last chance at the big time situation and ups his workrate!
kosaros is offline  Top
Old 08-28-2009, 08:45 PM   #5
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

vCash: 836

Shane's speed will be a huge factor in this, clottey aint fought no one near as quick as Shane and remember late on Cottos movement gave Joshua trouble and Shanes alot better mover than Cotto IMO.
GPater11093 is offline  Top
Old 08-28-2009, 08:53 PM   #6
kosaros
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPater11093 View Post
Shane's speed will be a huge factor in this, clottey aint fought no one near as quick as Shane and remember late on Cottos movement gave Joshua trouble and Shanes alot better mover than Cotto IMO.
Erm, Judah?
kosaros is offline  Top
Old 08-28-2009, 08:56 PM   #7
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosaros View Post
Erm, Judah?

im an idot i saw that fight aswell

just ignore me

Also Mosley did better against Winky when Winky stopped fighting for the rounds and took minutes off etc.. alot like Clottey does
Old 08-28-2009, 08:56 PM   #8
Losfer_Words
★★★ 2 TONE EXPRESS ★★★
East Side Guru

Quote:
Erm, Judah?
A shadow of the real 'super' Judah, IMO.
Old 08-28-2009, 08:57 PM   #9
kosaros
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfer_Words View Post
A shadow of the real 'super' Judah, IMO.
He still has the speed IMO.
kosaros is offline  Top
Old 08-28-2009, 09:00 PM   #10
Losfer_Words
★★★ 2 TONE EXPRESS ★★★
East Side Guru

Quote:
He still has the speed IMO.
Or was it something Panama mixed with his water? Anyways, back to the thread- Mosley UD. Clottey cries 'outrage' after the fight as well. That bloke is so unintentionally hilarious it's untrue!
Old 08-28-2009, 09:16 PM   #11
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

Mosely for me. Clottey just doesn't have that something 'extra' to mix it in that class IMHO.
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 08-28-2009, 09:18 PM   #12
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

i think Clootey has too big of a head to win
Old 08-28-2009, 09:25 PM   #13
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP

Quote:
Lets just hope Clottey really does realise he is in the last chance at the big time situation and ups his workrate!
"Work Rate" & "Punch Volume" are the key words in this fight.

a lot of this fight imo is also going to rest on effective aggressiveness. If shane does not mix up his attack he will have trouble being effective, Shane's head is stationary and straight sometimes, i dont know if thats an age thing or just a lack of concentration but mosley is NOT that hard to find.

but like we've all been saying Clottey just doesn't finish his meals and punches on a limited budget.
Old 08-28-2009, 09:34 PM   #14
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPater11093 View Post
you can make a strong case that Shane won that fight against Cotto. for me Naseem Richardson has made a big difference, Mosley was just a fast brawler but Richardson has added strategy and smarts to his game, i think he beats cotto with naseem let alone Clottey.

Clottey never doing what he is supposed to and Shane having Naseem in his corner is all the break down needed in this one.
Old 08-28-2009, 09:36 PM   #15
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazOC View Post
Mosely for me. Clottey just doesn't have that something 'extra' to mix it in that class IMHO.
unless he can get a energizer bunny inserted into his back, he'll continue to be the grandmaster of nothing

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum