Draw 0 0%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-28-2009, 08:39 PM   #16
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Mosley vs Clottey

I know its easier said than done after 9 rounds of boxing but that Cotto fight was there to be taken for Clottey and he just didn't seem willing (or able) to take that extra step.
GazOC is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-2009, 09:20 PM   #17
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP

like i said Gaz, I just don't like his disposition in the ring where it takes him 30 seconds to reset a combo. It's not a good thing when you have a guy (Cotto) with an eye busted up in front of you and can't step on the gas for in-fighting and brawling close quarters. He just ear muffs and admires his work from 30 secs ago instead of smelling blood, he doesn't have that "killer" instinct
slip&counter is offline  Top
Old 08-28-2009, 09:33 PM   #18
'Ben'
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Location: The Pie eating... Triad beating... Undisputed king of ESB
vCash: 75

No way in hell Shane loses this one!

I heard he might face Berto istead though.... I'd rather see him againtst Berto aswell to be honest.
'Ben' is offline  Top
Old 08-28-2009, 09:37 PM   #19
Losfer_Words
★★★ 2 TONE EXPRESS ★★★
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Ben' View Post
No way in hell Shane loses this one!

I heard he might face Berto istead though.... I'd rather see him againtst Berto aswell to be honest.
Same here. I wanted to watch a schooling and experience a 'Sugar' rush.
Losfer_Words is offline  Top
Old 08-29-2009, 01:40 AM   #20
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP

Ben and Losfer...I'm sick of seeing Clottey choke at the big stage, I'd like to see Berto vs Shane too, but looks like there ain't enough moolah for it to happen unless HBO throws some chedder on it.

who you got in a potential Kid Haiti vs Mildly sweet old man Shane?

My instinct tells me Mosley, but then I'm thinking maybe his win, great as it was, against Margarito is slightly sugar coating the signs of ageing we saw beforehand.....having said that Berto is not ready and my opinion of him has dwindled with every passing fight.

looking at it stylistically, Berto's fast hands can keep Shane from setting his feet often and laying down power punches but Shane can adapt in a fight against a youngster like Berto and he's skilled enough to land the more meaningful shots imo...maybe it ends in decision but i gotta feeling Shane take's him to deep waters and drowns him with Berto taking a few big ones and going out late.

Actually the more I think about it, the more I get worried for Andre on something i picked up in Berto vs Urango. You'll probabily recall that back handed flick jab Berto used. I hate to say it but that was an illegal punch! No doubt GBP, Nazim and Shane will have this implanted in the ref's brain even before the bell sounds. So you take away this bad habit but still second nature instinct with a point deduction, and now Berto can't work behind his bread-n-butter.

This is going to be one of the first times that Shane will not be the one getting off first in the exchanges or the middle of the ring where Sugar Shane has made his living. But in looking at Vernon, Winky & Cotto, they all had a common denominator and that was the double, triple jab to set things up. Berto at times reverts to a Roy Jones type of stance where the only thing to follow is some type of off-balance straight or leaping type hook. This won't work against Shane.

Another big factor is Nazim richardson (can't emphasize it enough) he's made a big difference to mosley, the strategy of nazim (controlling the pace with crucial clinches) against margarito made a big difference, he fought him how cotto should've, that fight was like cotto vs margarito with clinches and shane knowing how to nullify margarito's aggression and control the pace.

I also get the feeling the burden of that green strap might weigh to heavily on Berto's young shoulders, it was available so they took it but might've been a little early he's just a work in progress who happens to have a shinny green strap therefore being the hunted when he maybe should've learnt how to hunt first.
Old 08-29-2009, 12:31 PM   #21
'Ben'
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip&counter View Post
Ben and Losfer...I'm sick of seeing Clottey choke at the big stage, I'd like to see Berto vs Shane too, but looks like there ain't enough moolah for it to happen unless HBO throws some chedder on it.

who you got in a potential Kid Haiti vs Mildly sweet old man Shane?

My instinct tells me Mosley, but then I'm thinking maybe his win, great as it was, against Margarito is slightly sugar coating the signs of ageing we saw beforehand.....having said that Berto is not ready and my opinion of him has dwindled with every passing fight.

looking at it stylistically, Berto's fast hands can keep Shane from setting his feet often and laying down power punches but Shane can adapt in a fight against a youngster like Berto and he's skilled enough to land the more meaningful shots imo...maybe it ends in decision but i gotta feeling Shane take's him to deep waters and drowns him with Berto taking a few big ones and going out late.

Actually the more I think about it, the more I get worried for Andre on something i picked up in Berto vs Urango. You'll probabily recall that back handed flick jab Berto used. I hate to say it but that was an illegal punch! No doubt GBP, Nazim and Shane will have this implanted in the ref's brain even before the bell sounds. So you take away this bad habit but still second nature instinct with a point deduction, and now Berto can't work behind his bread-n-butter.

This is going to be one of the first times that Shane will not be the one getting off first in the exchanges or the middle of the ring where Sugar Shane has made his living. But in looking at Vernon, Winky & Cotto, they all had a common denominator and that was the double, triple jab to set things up. Berto at times reverts to a Roy Jones type of stance where the only thing to follow is some type of off-balance straight or leaping type hook. This won't work against Shane.

Another big factor is Nazim richardson (can't emphasize it enough) he's made a big difference to mosley, the strategy of nazim (controlling the pace with crucial clinches) against margarito made a big difference, he fought him how cotto should've, that fight was like cotto vs margarito with clinches and shane knowing how to nullify margarito's aggression and control the pace.

I also get the feeling the burden of that green strap might weigh to heavily on Berto's young shoulders, it was available so they took it but might've been a little early he's just a work in progress who happens to have a shinny green strap therefore being the hunted when he maybe should've learnt how to hunt first.

I agree that Mosley would beat Berto.... but Berto is a world champion, like it or not and I can tell that he won't improve too much stylistcally anyway that will make him any better in the future.... so for me it's more of a case of put up or shut up for Berto.

There is no way HBO would be more interested in Clottey-Mosley opposed to Berto-Mosley in my opinion as Berto has fought on HBO his entire career. Berto has a reputation as being being pretty exciting to watch with a good KO ratio.... plus a Berto fight would also be a unification fight aswell which don't hurt much from a TV executives point of view either.
'Ben' is offline  Top
Old 08-29-2009, 12:38 PM   #22
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP

Berto's handlers wouldn't be stupid enough to put him in with Mosley.

Let's face it, he was gifted the WBC title courtesy of some soft matchmaking and was beaten by Collazo.

Clunky, sloppy footwork and hittable = easy night for Shane.
Beeston Brawler is offline  Top
Old 08-29-2009, 12:47 PM   #23
'Ben'
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeston Brawler View Post
Berto's handlers wouldn't be stupid enough to put him in with Mosley.

Let's face it, he was gifted the WBC title courtesy of some soft matchmaking and was beaten by Collazo.

Clunky, sloppy footwork and hittable = easy night for Shane.

his handlers are the only that I can see stopping this one from happening. Have you noticed nowdays that ALL those top prospects nowdays that are talked about the most.... that only fight nobodies on the way up are all unbelievably vunerable.
'Ben' is offline  Top
Old 08-29-2009, 12:51 PM   #24
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP

Yeah, because all the decent ones are avoided.

Put it this way, if I were a top 20 welter, I would be banging on door of Berto's promoter, and probably parked outside his house constantly offering to fight on a winner takes all basis, with the loser receiving only training expenses and 50k for their troubles.

I suppose an example of your theory is Ortiz, or Chavez jr (especially).
Old 08-29-2009, 12:57 PM   #25
'Ben'
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Also Khan, Harrison (a few years ago I know) Duddy, Lee even Jacobs to be honest. Promoters are so ****ing greedy and selfish it sickens me.
'Ben' is offline  Top
Old 08-29-2009, 01:02 PM   #26
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Ben' View Post
There is no way HBO would be more interested in Clottey-Mosley opposed to Berto-Mosley in my opinion as Berto has fought on HBO his entire career. Berto has a reputation as being being pretty exciting to watch with a good KO ratio.... plus a Berto fight would also be a unification fight aswell which don't hurt much from a TV executives point of view either.
hence why they're asking for money HBO is not willing to offer. There was talk of this fight being in the carribean at one point or Berto going to Turkey to defend against mini tyson
Old 08-29-2009, 01:05 PM   #27
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP

Both Duddy and Lee have been awfully handled.

I have incurred the wrath of many of our Irish friends (D-Mac excepted) for basically coming out within days of joining ESB and saying that neither of them are going anywhere, and are basically committing extortion by fighting on the east coast where there is a demand for Irish fighters.

They have simply engaged in a series of meaningless 8 and 10 round fights against C level opposition. Why not fight for the EBU title against some good fighters here, rather than simply beating journeymen?
Old 08-29-2009, 01:06 PM   #28
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP

btw lads Is this fight signed? Or are we playing fantasy boxing again. we all know how boxing's been doing us all this year.

Looking around I think we're playing fantasy boxing but that's all we've got. With the way this year has gone, we will be playing fantasy boxing till the actual bell sounds. Let's not forget that Valuev and Chagaev stepped on the scales, weighed in and the fight was STILL CALLED OFF! I mean seriously, what other sport does something like that happen in? So it's all fantasy boxing from here on out....
Old 08-29-2009, 01:35 PM   #29
'Ben'
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip&counter View Post
btw lads Is this fight signed? Or are we playing fantasy boxing again. we all know how boxing's been doing us all this year.

Looking around I think we're playing fantasy boxing but that's all we've got. With the way this year has gone, we will be playing fantasy boxing till the actual bell sounds. Let's not forget that Valuev and Chagaev stepped on the scales, weighed in and the fight was STILL CALLED OFF! I mean seriously, what other sport does something like that happen in? So it's all fantasy boxing from here on out....

Just think posotive from now on!!!
'Ben' is offline  Top
Old 08-29-2009, 01:37 PM   #30
'Ben'
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeston Brawler View Post
Both Duddy and Lee have been awfully handled.

I have incurred the wrath of many of our Irish friends (D-Mac excepted) for basically coming out within days of joining ESB and saying that neither of them are going anywhere, and are basically committing extortion by fighting on the east coast where there is a demand for Irish fighters.

They have simply engaged in a series of meaningless 8 and 10 round fights against C level opposition. Why not fight for the EBU title against some good fighters here, rather than simply beating journeymen?

I agree totally, it's really irritating me thinking about it to be honest. I have entirely celtic blood in me.... I'd be better off going to Americas east coast and reaping the rewards than those guys. Not that they're terrible or anything but they won't be getting any better fighting the opposition they are right now.
'Ben' is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum