Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 08-29-2009, 08:42 AM   #1
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Latin fighter's national charictaristics

I know that exceptions exist, and not all Mexican fighters, for instance, can be termed "left hook to the liver brawlers", or Puerto Ricans as "boxer/punchers", etc., and etc., but certain nationality groups DO have certain charictaristics, and may I ask you posters, many of you who are more articulate and concise than me, to list or name the various Latin nationalities and what their inherent strengths (and weaknesses) are? It seems that most of my favorite boxers of the past and present are Latins, ...Monzon, Napoles, Arguello, Benitez, Gomez, Duran, Ortiz, Gavilan, etc., and I guess that's why I'm limiting this thread topic to Latins...for starters, among my top two favorite Mexican greats are Salvador Sanchez and Marco Antonio Barrera, who are both anomalys, so to speak, as regarding the so called "typical" Mexican brawler/puncher aggresive type fighter...I'll welcome your thoughts and contributions...
red cobra is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-2009, 08:48 AM   #2
WhataRock
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 166
Default Re: Latin fighter's national charictaristics

This is what Ive noticed from years of watching fighters from Argentina.

If you are among the best top 2 or 3 fighters from this country you are good..the best fighter is usually excellent and sometimes some of the true greats.

All the rest usually range from light hitting, spoilers to just straight up pikers..Seen a hell of a lot of second tier Argie fighters come to Australia and just been shocked that these blokes come from the same country as guys like Monzon, Castron, Galindez, Garay...etc..etc.

Look into it I swear it seems like a pattern there.

Also in regards to second tier Brazilian fighters..so often I see punchers with suspect chins..Just a generalization there, havent really looked into that one but just from memory that seems to be the case.
WhataRock is offline  Top
Old 08-29-2009, 11:09 AM   #3
PbP Bacon
ALL TIME FAT
ESB Full Member

So, if that is true.....

Then, we can say that there is something like an "Argentinian School" or "Argentinian style", a "Mexican school", etc?
PbP Bacon is offline  Top
Old 08-29-2009, 12:15 PM   #4
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

No, but I have noticed two distinct Mexican schools.

The upright boxer puncher (Zarate, R Lopez, Juan/Rafael Marquez for instance) but of course none of these fighters are truly similar.

Then you've got Ruben Olivares; he's a boxer-puncher, but he's also short.

What about Sal Sanchez? His style is completely Mexican, yet completely NOT Mexican. He is totally multi-faceted and skilled.

I think there are, as the thread starter says, some definite nationality-based characteristics of fighters. But there are some slight differences in styles, and COMPLETE differences in styles.

So, in short I agree with the thread starter to some extent
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 08-29-2009, 12:24 PM   #5
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PbP Bacon View Post
So, if that is true.....

Then, we can say that there is something like an "Argentinian School" or "Argentinian style", a "Mexican school", etc?
Well, I learned after Hugo Corro died that there was a "Mendoza School" of the Mendoza area of Argentina where Corro was from, and the fighters from there tend to have that same cautious, safety-first defensive boxing style that Corro had. The article referred to Corro's style as being the typical "Mendoza School" type of style.
Old 08-29-2009, 12:59 PM   #6
TheGreatA
Champion
East Side Guru

Colombians are big punchers.
TheGreatA is offline  Top
Old 08-29-2009, 01:08 PM   #7
The Kurgan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 576

Argentines have ugly styles but are tough as nails (Monzon, Bonavena, Coggi etc.).
The Kurgan is offline  Top
Old 08-29-2009, 01:14 PM   #8
Bad_Intentions
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 153

Puerto Ricans are body punchers, both Gomez and Cotto threw combinations to the body alot.

Mexican boxers are brawlers, they don't care if they get hit (exp: Chavez, Margarito, Vazquez, Marquez).
Bad_Intentions is offline  Top
Old 08-29-2009, 01:27 PM   #9
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad_Intentions View Post
Puerto Ricans are body punchers, both Gomez and Cotto threw combinations to the body alot.

Mexican boxers are brawlers, they don't care if they get hit (exp: Chavez, Margarito, Vazquez, Marquez).
Most fighters punch to the body. Mexicans as well.

I don't think any of those are 'brawlers'. Hatton is a brawler. Maybe the best way to put it is 'Mexicans are usually aggressive'.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 08-29-2009, 02:12 PM   #10
BENNY BLANCO
R.I.P. Brooklyn1550
East Side Guru

Cuban fighters tend to be very patient in the ring, waiting for oppurtunities to counter.
BENNY BLANCO is offline  Top
Old 08-29-2009, 02:28 PM   #11
PbP Bacon
ALL TIME FAT
ESB Full Member

Well, let me introduce a derivative question as a challenge:

"IF", in fact, certain nationality groups "DO have certain characteristics" ...... then there must be a rational explanation for that, right?

Why is that? what is the factor that explains those "national characteristics"? is something taught/learned or natural/inborn?

It has to do with a cultural, social, racial (gasp!!) factor? is something in the food or the water? is just a coincidence?

Are mexican "aggressive" because some famous trainer make that way of fighting popular in Mexico? is it because mexican society (supposedly) is "agggresive"? is it because the mexican fighting circuit is (supposedly) raw and brutal? is because mexican fighters are (supposedly) in average smaller than their average rival and they need to compensate with aggresion their physical disadvantage?

So, what would explain those "national diferences, or styles"

I don't dare to give an answer, but it would be good to hear opinions.
PbP Bacon is offline  Top
Old 08-29-2009, 02:35 PM   #12
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

vCash: 836

Quote:
Originally Posted by PbP Bacon View Post
Well, let me introduce a derivative question as a challenge:

"IF", in fact, certain nationality groups "DO have certain characteristics" ...... then there must be a rational explanation for that, right?

why is that? is something taught or
The culture of the place they live. An aggresive upbringing generally leads to an agressive style, think the tough African fighters who are proper warriors.

what the fans appreciate where they are from. They will adapt to that to fit in.

Other boxers who come from the same place, obviously they will admire them and copy certain aspects of them.
GPater11093 is offline  Top
Old 08-30-2009, 05:27 AM   #13
The Kurgan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 576

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPater11093 View Post
what the fans appreciate where they are from. They will adapt to that to fit in.
I think that's very important. To take Germany as an example of this: can you imagine any other country where the likes of Sven Ottke, Axel Schulz and Karl Mildenberger could get a major following? The Germans tolerate feather-fisted safety-first (but very skilled) boxers more than most other countries.
The Kurgan is offline  Top
Old 08-30-2009, 10:38 AM   #14
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

vCash: 836

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kurgan View Post
I think that's very important. To take Germany as an example of this: can you imagine any other country where the likes of Sven Ottke, Axel Schulz and Karl Mildenberger could get a major following? The Germans tolerate feather-fisted safety-first (but very skilled) boxers more than most other countries.
good example. Fighters such as themselves if born in another country have have had a different style or moved to different country.

Another example is Canto is Mexico (although he was well supported at the time) i have heard other Mexicans fighters refuse to rank him on an ATG Mexican fighters list as he didnt fight the 'wexican way'
GPater11093 is offline  Top
Old 08-30-2009, 11:13 AM   #15
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Regarding Jose Mantequilla Napoles, I consider him a Cuban fighter, despite the fact that he was a resident of Mexico from '61 or '62 onwards. His style is much morew befitting of a Cuban than a Mexican anyway, with that smooth, slick "mantequilla-like" style that was his..a blend of boxing, defense and ultra-effective power combinations..he was also quite capable of taking a man out with a single shot...and most importantly, he wasn't wedded to the Mexican idea of "machismo"..the Mexican version , mind you, which dictated some nose to nose knuckle bruising slugfests where taking punishment and "dying on your shield" was a given...Napoles was too slick for that..and besides he didn't need to, the exception of course being the beating he was slowing beginning to take and the fact that he was rescued by Angie Dundee from the inevitable knockout.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum