Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 06-25-2007, 08:05 AM   #31
Titan1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: If you were gonna make up a gang of ATG's to get into a gang war, who would u pick?

Mitch Green, Iran Barkely, Michael Dokes, Marvin Hagler, Sonny Liston, George Foreman, Aaron Pryor, and Roberto Duran.
Titan1 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-2007, 08:36 AM   #32
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru

Default Re: If you were gonna make up a gang of ATG's to get into a gang war, who would u pick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. magoo
I wouldn't pick any of them. Prize fighting and street fighting are two totally different animals...
Yes, and much of boxing's allure stems from the question of which ATG's would be adept at both. Most competitive prize fighters who are great on the street are not ATGs in the ring, and vice-versa. Which ATG's do you think might make the grade?
Duodenum is offline  Top
Old 06-25-2007, 08:43 AM   #33
garymcfall
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 944

Sonny Liston
George Foreman
Mike Tyson
Roberto Duran
Jake La Motta
Joe Frazier
Valuev (just to stand at the back and look scary cos of his size)
garymcfall is offline  Top
Old 06-25-2007, 08:55 AM   #34
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

I'd have Bernard Hopkins as my number two.

Duran would be Sergeant Rock.

Footsoldiers: Jeffries, Liston, Dempsey, Monzon, Walker, Greb, Ketchel, Shorty Hogue, Jake LaMotta, Ike Ibeabuchi, Ted Kid Lewis, Rocky Graziano, Victor Galindez.

Come get some.
McGrain is online now  Top
Old 06-25-2007, 08:58 AM   #35
heerko koois
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

tyson , Frazier , Foreman, Marciano , bruno , .........
heerko koois is offline  Top
Old 06-25-2007, 09:39 AM   #36
Bill1234
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by garymcfall
Valuev (just to stand at the back and look scary cos of his size)
Bill1234 is offline  Top
Old 06-25-2007, 09:47 AM   #37
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duodenum
Yes, and much of boxing's allure stems from the question of which ATG's would be adept at both. Most competitive prize fighters who are great on the street are not ATGs in the ring, and vice-versa. Which ATG's do you think might make the grade?
A similar thread was started on this subject a few months back. I responded by sharing some stories, about a fighter who was not an all time great, but was reputed to be a rather dangerous individual.

Years ago, I had family that lived in Florida, mainly on the east coast. I would visit them at least once a year, usually in January, to escape the Chicago winters. I developed a friendship with a guy down there who was a realestate broker, and big time boxing fan. At one point he sparred with John Mugabi, but that's another story. This was around 1990, when we watched Tim Witherspoon clobber a veteran fighter named Jeff Sims. Sims had spent some time in prison and was known for being a nut case. My friend said that Sims lived in the Belglade area, which is located toward the central region of Florida. My friend was visiting Belglade on business one time, during the 80's, when he went to a local nightclub where Sims was hanging out. Apparently, Sims got into a scuffle with some locals, and wound up messing one of them up pretty badly. When the police arrived, it took several officers to get him into a squad car.

I looked at Sim's profile on BoxRec. He died around 1993, at the age of about 39. I don't know what led to his demise, but I can only assume that it was related to his rather troublesome lifestyle.

Last edited by mr. magoo; 06-25-2007 at 09:52 AM.
mr. magoo is offline  Top
Old 06-25-2007, 10:21 AM   #38
heerko koois
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

Quote:
A similar thread was started on this subject a few months back. I responded by sharing some stories, about a fighter who was not an all time great, but was reputed to be a rather dangerous individual.

Years ago, I had family that lived in Florida, mainly on the east coast. I would visit them at least once a year, usually in January, to escape the Chicago winters. I developed a friendship with a guy down there who was a realestate broker, and big time boxing fan. At one point he sparred with John Mugabi, but that's another story. This was around 1990, when we watched Tim Witherspoon clobber a veteran fighter named Jeff Sims. Sims had spent some time in prison and was known for being a nut case. My friend said that Sims lived in the Belglade area, which is located toward the central region of Florida. My friend was visiting Belglade on business one time, during the 80's, when he went to a local nightclub where Sims was hanging out. Apparently, Sims got into a scuffle with some locals, and wound up messing one of them up pretty badly. When the police arrived, it took several officers to get him into a squad car.

I looked at Sim's profile on BoxRec. He died around 1993, at the age of about 39. I don't know what led to his demise, but I can only assume that it was related to his rather troublesome lifestyle.
There is a story about him in a book called "frank bruno,s scrap book"
Sims did spar with bruno and lots of others ...i heard that he died of a od ..........
heerko koois is offline  Top
Old 06-25-2007, 10:52 AM   #39
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Hmmmm..are you referring to whom I think you are?
Quote:
Jeff Sims. Sims had spent some time in prison and was known for being a nut case. My friend said that Sims lived in the Belglade area, which is located toward the central region of Florida. My friend was visiting Belglade on business one time, during the 80's, when he went to a local nightclub where Sims was hanging out. Apparently, Sims got into a scuffle with some locals, and wound up messing one of them up pretty badly. When the police arrived, it took several officers to get him into a squad car.

Suspicion confirmed! I remember when Sims was an undefeated prospect. After kayoing Prater, he was rumoured to be the second coming of Sonny Liston. It was against Sims that Tyrell Biggs later made his name in the professional ranks, courageously prevailing despite a broken collarbone. In some unfortunate ways, Sims may truly have been Liston's shadow.
Duodenum is offline  Top
Old 06-25-2007, 10:58 AM   #40
Raggamuffin
You dipstick
ESB Full Member

vCash: 766

Didn't he spar with Ali when he was getting ready to fight Foreman ?
Raggamuffin is offline  Top
Old 06-25-2007, 11:12 AM   #41
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggamuffin
Didn't he spar with Ali when he was getting ready to fight Foreman ?
I think I remember hearing that he sparred with Ali briefly. I'm not sure about Foreman though. Sims also had losses to Shavers, young, Biggs, Ribalta, Witherspoon and Boncrusher. Outside of losing to good fighters, I don't think Sims ever did much else. He had a dangerous punch, but poor stamina. He wasn't the most talented or skilled prize fighter either from what I recall. Apparently however, he was not one to be messed with in a street fight or bar brawl.
Old 06-25-2007, 11:24 AM   #42
Luigi1985
Cane Corso
ESB Addict

Zab Judah
PBF
Hector Camacho
SRL
Emile Griffith

aka "The Village People"
Luigi1985 is offline  Top
Old 06-25-2007, 11:31 AM   #43
Titan1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi1985
Zab Judah
PBF
Hector Camacho
SRL
Emile Griffith

aka "The Village People"
Titan1 is offline  Top
Old 06-25-2007, 12:04 PM   #44
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi1985
Zab Judah
PBF
Hector Camacho
SRL
Emile Griffith

aka "The Village People"
Maybe you should include Jorge Paez, and Maxie Rosenbloom.
Duodenum is offline  Top
Old 06-25-2007, 12:18 PM   #45
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I just found an article on Jeff Sims off of another site. Apparently, Sims was shot and killed in a gunfight in 1993.

Years earlier, Sims Learned how to box, while serving time in prison for manslaughter. At one point, he was a sparring partner fo Gerry Cooney and Muhammad Ali. he made headlines once for spliting Ali's lip in sparring.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum