boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 09-13-2007, 03:46 PM   #1
Amsterdam
Boris Christoff
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default I find it hilarious that people think Taylor can have success at SMW.

It's just astonishing sometimes with boxing fans. You have a guy who took all he could handle from the smaller Wright and in not even talking about the decisions as it was close, struggled deeply. A guy who didn't respond well to the speed of Cory Spinks and a guy who's game plan fell apart under the pressure of the tiny Kassim Ouma.. and he's supposed to beat top 10 SMW's like Bute, Mundine, Froch, Andrade etc.

Not even counting the two top dogs. Of course, some fans think that being competitive with the 40+ Hopkins and Wright mean that he's a class above those names up there, even discounting that even though Wright and Hopkins are P4P ranked fighters, that they lack the intangibles such as size/speed/power combinations of the much larger SMW men.

For example, Froch is an average SMW, but he'd swarm Taylor and knock him out, because Taylor lacks the chin and dynamic ability under pressure to reverse the fight on Froch, he also lacks the power. Andrade would also just pressure until Taylor gave in and then he'd start landing his power bombs and that would be the end of it.

Taylor is mentioning that after the Pavlik bout, win or lose he is going up to 168. I seriously doubt he will fight a natural SMW in his arrival because any of those names, even a guy like Sakio Bika, would present so much trouble that the competition that he has been fighting could not due to the intangible differences. He also gives up his size advantage.

Pavlik will win, then everyone will agree. Classic stuff.
Amsterdam is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-2007, 03:50 PM   #2
lefthook31
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Default Re: I find it hilarious that people think Taylor can have success at SMW.

8 pound is nothing for a middleweigh to super middle. Your talking about two slick fighters in Spinks and Wright.
How do you come to the conclusion Taylor has a weak chin? Hes never been down as a pro.
Taylor really has been mismatched in my opinion. He still wins, but he hasnt had the opponent like Pavlik who will stand in front of him. Pavlik is going to get stopped late. Taylor is a much better fighter than your giving him credit for, and I think it will be proven starting with the Pavlik fight.
lefthook31 is offline  Top
Old 09-13-2007, 04:07 PM   #3
Amsterdam
Boris Christoff
East Side Guru

Default Re: I find it hilarious that people think Taylor can have success at SMW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefthook31
8 pound is nothing for a middleweigh to super middle. Your talking about two slick fighters in Spinks and Wright.
How do you come to the conclusion Taylor has a weak chin? Hes never been down as a pro.
Taylor really has been mismatched in my opinion. He still wins, but he hasnt had the opponent like Pavlik who will stand in front of him. Pavlik is going to get stopped late. Taylor is a much better fighter than your giving him credit for, and I think it will be proven starting with the Pavlik fight.
Ouma stands right in front of you. And Wright is by no means 'slick', he's in your face all night and is a master of using the guard by way of timing, leaving him at the mercy of a truly powerful bigger man if he were to be matched with one, say Arthur Abraham.
Old 09-13-2007, 04:14 PM   #4
Imperial1
P4P King
East Side VIP

Its hilarious to think otherwise ..If Taylor can carry the weight with more power he could be pretty decent ..If he does't than we see a situation similar to Mosley where he looks slower at the higher weight.

Its not impossible these days with all the technology and stuff these days ..
Imperial1 is online now  Top
Old 09-13-2007, 04:17 PM   #5
lefthook31
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsterdam
Ouma stands right in front of you. And Wright is by no means 'slick', he's in your face all night and is a master of using the guard by way of timing, leaving him at the mercy of a truly powerful bigger man if he were to be matched with one, say Arthur Abraham.
Wright is slick in the sense that he doesnt get hit cleanly ever. Ouma was brutalized, what else do you want. Abraham is as one dimensional as Trinidad, whats he talking about?
Old 09-13-2007, 04:18 PM   #6
Fab2333
Needs to Get It 2Gether
ESB Addict

vCash: 623

Quote:
Fab2333 is offline  Top
Old 09-13-2007, 04:18 PM   #7
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

Calzaghe Kessler winner will probably go to 175, nothing will be left at 168. They'll look to Hopkins, Woods, maybe Dawson etc

All the belts will be vacated. Taylor could be successful.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Old 09-13-2007, 04:20 PM   #8
Amsterdam
Boris Christoff
East Side Guru

Quote:
Wright is slick in the sense that he doesnt get hit cleanly ever. Ouma was brutalized, what else do you want. Abraham is as one dimensional as Trinidad, whats he talking about?
Ouma's pressure was making Taylor lose his gameplan. A big MW puncher would have also taken him out early considering he has no defence what so ever.

Abraham has the size and power to defeat Wright, in the way that Taylor does not. Abraham would beat Taylor as well for that matter.
Old 09-13-2007, 04:20 PM   #9
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP

vCash: 46300

Quote:
Originally Posted by achillesthegreat
Calzaghe Kessler winner will probably go to 175, nothing will be left at 168. They'll look to Hopkins, Woods, maybe Dawson etc

Forget Joe and Mikkel, what top 20 SMW would Taylor be a favorite against?
IntentionalButt is offline  Top
Old 09-13-2007, 04:21 PM   #10
Amsterdam
Boris Christoff
East Side Guru

Quote:

There is not a SMW top 10 fighter that Taylor should be favoured over, given his track record, they all hit harder and are much larger than anyone he's fought and he lacks the power to even KO what is a glass jaw at SMW in Berrio.
Old 09-13-2007, 04:24 PM   #11
Imperial1
P4P King
East Side VIP

Who should Taylor's first tune up be then ? I some how see a fight with Lacy in the near future ..
Imperial1 is online now  Top
Old 09-13-2007, 04:25 PM   #12
achillesthegreat
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntentionalButt
Forget Joe and Mikkel, what top 20 SMW would Taylor be a favorite against?
Firstly, what happened to all the people who said Taylor could beat Lacy?

If I go to boxrec, I think Taylor could hang with/beat Mundine, Bute, Froch, Lacy, Beyer, Manfredo, Tsypko and Andrade.
Old 09-13-2007, 04:27 PM   #13
lefthook31
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Ouma's pressure was making Taylor lose his gameplan. A big MW puncher would have also taken him out early considering he has no defence what so ever.

Abraham has the size and power to defeat Wright, in the way that Taylor does not. Abraham would beat Taylor as well for that matter.
When was Ouma's pressure making Taylor lose his game plan in the last 30 seconds of the last round? It was a one sided beating, maybe Taylor was getting bored.

Abraham hasn't proved anything yet. He has yet to face anyone with the skills of Hopkins, Wright or even Taylor. Time will tell how good he is. Its like Vic Darchinian, they build him up to be godzilla and this huge puncher, and the first slick fighter he faces, he gets completey taken apart.
Taylor is a good fighter, he just wasnt ready to face the guys like Hopkins and Wright when he did, due to lack of experience. The fact that he faced these guys when he did and performed the way he did, is proof of how good he can be. Also Emanuel Steward doesnt waste his time with guys who are not the real deal, just ask Vivian Harris.
Old 09-13-2007, 04:27 PM   #14
achillesthegreat
East Side VIP

Quote:
There is not a SMW top 10 fighter that Taylor should be favoured over, given his track record, they all hit harder and are much larger than anyone he's fought and he lacks the power to even KO what is a glass jaw at SMW in Berrio.
What is wrong with his track record? Two close victories over X, a close fight with a top P4P, dominated a former champ from 154 and then ONE horrible fight.

The Spinks fight was a fight where he was just being a moron. Spinks has one gear - SLICK! Make em miss, move, jab, repeat. Taylor moronically was sucked into this.

How many middleweights have Spinks speed, skill or consistency with such an awkward style???
Old 09-13-2007, 04:39 PM   #15
Amsterdam
Boris Christoff
East Side Guru

Quote:
Firstly, what happened to all the people who said Taylor could beat Lacy?

If I go to boxrec, I think Taylor could hang with/beat Mundine, Bute, Froch, Lacy, Beyer, Manfredo, Tsypko and Andrade.
Manfredo and Beyer are the only ones I'd favour Taylor to defeat. The rest should win by KO.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum