Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 08-30-2009, 04:14 PM   #1
sugarsean
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1057
Default Where Do You Rate Roy Jones Jr In The All Time Rankings At Light-Heavyweight

Where do you think Roy Jones Jr should be ranked in the list of all time greats at light-heavyweight.

I think Roy Jones Jr is difficult to rate at lightheavy because he was so dominate at the weight at his peak yet at the same time the division was pretty weak during his time and there was no truely great fighter at his weight to test him and prove his greatness against.

I think Hd 2 Hd he rates very high, but its the questions that were left unanswered during his peak years that makes it so hard to know where he rates, and how truely great he was at his peak.

so where do you rate Roy Jones Jr in the all time great light-heavyweights in history.

remember only his performance's at light-heavyweight count

Last edited by sugarsean; 11-22-2009 at 08:04 PM.
sugarsean is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-2009, 01:58 PM   #2
MrMarvel
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Where Do You Rate Roy Jones Jr In The All Time Rankings At Light-Heavyweight

I rank him very highly. Top five probably.
MrMarvel is offline  Top
Old 09-02-2009, 02:04 PM   #3
Thread Stealer
P4P King
East Side VIP

Default Re: Where Do You Rate Roy Jones Jr In The All Time Rankings At Light-Heavyweight

They had a poll on LHW rankings earlier. He got ranked #11.

1. 971 Ezzard Charles (30)
2. 652 Archie Moore (4)
3. 557 Gene Tunney (8 )
4. 452 Sam Langford (4)
5. 328 Michael Spinks (1)
6. 288 Bob Foster
7. 181 Harry Greb
8. 148 Billy Conn
9. 140 Tommy Loughran
10. 81 Bob Fitzsimmons
11. 79 Roy Jones Jr
12. 50 Harold Johnson
13. 15 Jimmy Slattery
14. 10 Saad Muhammad
15. 7 Victor Galindez
16. 6 Jack Dillon
17. 5 Jack O'Brian
17. 5 John Henry Lewis
19. 4 Eddie Mustafa Muhammad
19. 4 Dwight Qawi
21. 3 Jimmy Bivins
21. 3 Tommy Gibbons
21. 3 Maxie Rosenbloom
24. 1 Donny Lalonde
24. 1 George Carpentier
24. 1 Henry Maske

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Thread Stealer is offline  Top
Old 11-22-2009, 08:05 PM   #4
sugarsean
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I'd like to hear more people's opinions on this
Old 11-22-2009, 08:08 PM   #5
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

vCash: 842

He gets by on his consistency there for most part, because there wasn't any great fighters in the division during his reign. Antonio Tarver doesn't even constitute as a great fighter, not in my judgment. Top 10, that's about it.

A guy like Michael Spinks who had to deal with a really tough, experienced, and competitive division and passed with flying colours is infinitely more impressive than Jones at LHW.
Addie is offline  Top
Old 11-22-2009, 08:11 PM   #6
sugarsean
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
He gets by on his consistency there for most part, because there wasn't any great fighters in the division during his reign. Antonio Tarver doesn't even constitute as a great fighter, not in my judgment. Top 10, that's about it.

A guy like Michael Spinks who had to deal with a really tough, experienced, and competitive division and passed with flying colours is infinitely more impressive than Jones at LHW.
Yeah I'd have Spinks ahead of him aswell (at 3) he's got one of the greatest resume's ever at lightheavy.
Old 11-22-2009, 08:13 PM   #7
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

Top 2 on ability he would dominate most of the top10
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 11-22-2009, 08:16 PM   #8
sugarsean
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
who would you favour to beat him, also this question is to everyone else that make a post
Old 11-22-2009, 08:17 PM   #9
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
Not so sure about dominate, especially matched with "most". I wouldn't doubt he'd potentially embarrass some based on styles and skillsets.
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Old 11-22-2009, 08:18 PM   #10
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

vCash: 842

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarsean View Post
who would favour to beat him
Michael Spinks. The last thing Jones needs is a 6'3 skilled boxer puncher throwing awkward combination's at him from all angles. Spinks was too good not to land his right hand at some point in the fight, and I envision nothing but a knockout when it happens. Jones never really proved he could take a good solid shot, and perhaps only Foster hit harder at Light Heavyweight than Spinks. Jones relies on his reflexes and timing, but Spinks was awfully hard to anticipate.
Addie is offline  Top
Old 11-22-2009, 08:23 PM   #11
sugarsean
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Michael Spinks. The last thing Jones needs is a 6'3 skilled boxer puncher throwing awkward combination's at him from all angles. Spinks was too good not to land his right hand at some point in the fight, and I envision nothing but a knockout when it happens. Jones never really proved he could take a good solid shot, and perhaps only Foster hit harder at Light Heavyweight than Spinks. Jones relies on his reflexes and timing, but Spinks was awfully hard to anticipate.
Yeah the overhand right is the shot that Jones is open to thats why I would also favour Archie Moore he would be waiting to let that shot go and would now how to time it , Moore was a master in the ring

Last edited by sugarsean; 11-22-2009 at 08:39 PM.
Old 11-22-2009, 08:26 PM   #12
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Spinks and Eddie Futch are beating Jones, i'd wager big money on it. Futch had a MUCH MUCH lesser fighting going effectively with great tactics against Jones and Spinks is 7 levels better.

His awkwardness and effective unpredictability would be a telling factor vs Jones incredible reflexes and anticipation. His 4 inch height and 2 inch reach advantage and ability to use it would also be telling long term. His power at 175 is immense. His defense at 175 is vastly underrated. His chin is superb. When needed to he can jab extremely effectively.

There's just nothing there to penetrate for Roy imo. He'd be awkward, win rounds, have times of brilliance but he just wouldn't get it done overall IMO.
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Old 11-22-2009, 08:35 PM   #13
My2Sense
Champion
East Side Guru

He reigned in a fairly weak division and either lost or failed to make the fights that were most crucial to his legacy there - ie: Dariusz, Tarver, Calzaghe, Rocchigiani. Moreover, he had several very embarrassing losses and some very glaring weaknesses that were exposed. I can't see him being rated among the ATGs at the weight.
My2Sense is offline  Top
Old 11-23-2009, 12:54 AM   #14
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I don't take his past prime losses too seriously, as he'd noticably dropped off by that point. However, I just don't think he proved enough that he had the capabilities of dealing with a great LHW technician or puncher. He was better at 160 and especially 168. I'd say the poll we did is close enough, #11 is a decent enough placing. Not a top 10 guy in my book, just too many great fighters and too little proved for Roy at this weight.
Sweet Pea is offline  Top
Old 11-23-2009, 02:05 AM   #15
WhataRock
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 166

I wouldnt have him any higher then 9 or 10...I actually had him there briefly when I was putting up a list for Rummys poll but he got pushed out..Id say he would be 11 or 12 now on my list.

Definitely top 10 H2H...especially in the cleaner 12 round era he fought in. But his resume doesnt stand up to some of the greats there.

Spinks beats him.
WhataRock is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum