Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 09-16-2011, 01:53 PM   #196
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

vCash: 330
Default Re: Where Do You Rate Roy Jones Jr In The All Time Rankings At Light-Heavyweight

I think anyone saying there are immediately ten lhw's obviously greater than jones would struggle to convince.

He seems a top ten type to me but I don't care too much about the divisions history behind the obvious top 5

Charles
Moore
Greb
Tunney
Langford

I think I once did a top ten but it was fledgling and I no longer remember it. Spinks and foster will be right up there also but after that I struggle to think of people who're clearly above jones.

However I do believe h2h jones is one of the greatest at lhw. Charles has to take that mantle by beating moore thrice.

Regarding the debate about hopkins and jones. It's simply a great victory. Absolutely no way in hell, however, was hopkins prime in 93 I think it's rather apparent that hopkins was at his best between 98 and 01 for those 4 years he clearly operated at a higher level than he ever did do.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2011, 02:13 PM   #197
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Where Do You Rate Roy Jones Jr In The All Time Rankings At Light-Heavyweight

Agreed.. He's won something like 14 or 15 world title fights at that weight which is more than most light heavyweight champions, along with a lot of explosive performances.. His opposition was hardly stellar, but its not like he fought shit either. He was a unified world champ who beat a number of respectable named opponents and a lot of men who were undefeated, had good records, and were holding some sort of title of one kind or another.. There is a valid criticism that he should have fought Darius M. , but failure to meet one top opponent, does not automatically bar a man from the top 10. Especially when that one opponent may have been just as responsible for the fight not being made.
mr. magoo is offline  Top
Old 09-17-2011, 05:58 AM   #198
turpinr
Belt holder
ESB Addict

top 5 with charles, foster, moore and spinks
turpinr is offline  Top
Old 09-17-2011, 12:05 PM   #199
redrooster
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarsean View Post
Where do you think Roy Jones Jr should be ranked in the list of all time greats at light-heavyweight.

I think Roy Jones Jr is difficult to rate at lightheavy because he was so dominate at the weight at his peak yet at the same time the division was pretty weak during his time and there was no truely great fighter at his weight to test him and prove his greatness against.

I think Hd 2 Hd he rates very high, but its the questions that were left unanswered during his peak years that makes it so hard to know where he rates, and how truely great he was at his peak.

so where do you rate Roy Jones Jr in the all time great light-heavyweights in history.

remember only his performance's at light-heavyweight count
top 3 easy. he's up there with Foster N Moore.

Ever seen anyone like that with his handspeed? his 1-2knockdown of Johnson is testimony to his destructive powers. he was just too good for anyone, so no one felt they could compete. I dont think I even saw Roy make one mistake the whole time he was in the division

moving up to heavyweight proved to be his downfall
redrooster is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2011, 09:46 AM   #200
halbrikj
Journeyman

vCash: 500

Before he went up to heavy, then back down to 75, he would've beaten anyone at 75.
halbrikj is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum