Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 11-23-2009, 03:25 AM   #16
bodhi
So I can die easy ...
East Side Guru

vCash: 1337
Default Re: Where Do You Rate Roy Jones Jr In The All Time Rankings At Light-Heavyweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thread Stealer View Post
They had a poll on LHW rankings earlier. He got ranked #11.

1. 971 Ezzard Charles (30)
2. 652 Archie Moore (4)
3. 557 Gene Tunney (8 )
4. 452 Sam Langford (4)
5. 328 Michael Spinks (1)
6. 288 Bob Foster
7. 181 Harry Greb
8. 148 Billy Conn
9. 140 Tommy Loughran
10. 81 Bob Fitzsimmons
11. 79 Roy Jones Jr
12. 50 Harold Johnson
13. 15 Jimmy Slattery
14. 10 Saad Muhammad
15. 7 Victor Galindez
16. 6 Jack Dillon
17. 5 Jack O'Brian
17. 5 John Henry Lewis
19. 4 Eddie Mustafa Muhammad
19. 4 Dwight Qawi
21. 3 Jimmy Bivins
21. 3 Tommy Gibbons
21. 3 Maxie Rosenbloom
24. 1 Donny Lalonde
24. 1 George Carpentier
24. 1 Henry Maske

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
That´s a joke. RJJ at 11 but no Dariusz Michaelchewski in there who was the man at the time and whose resume is about as good?
bodhi is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-2009, 03:31 AM   #17
bodhi
So I can die easy ...
East Side Guru

Default Re: Where Do You Rate Roy Jones Jr In The All Time Rankings At Light-Heavyweight

Not Top10. Top15 is fair I think. His resume there isn´t that great, he ducked quite a few - most noticable Michaelchewski and Rocchigiani - and was never the man - DM unified the belts before him and just got stripped of them because the ABC-crap-people wanted Jones to have them, because there was more money with him. DM was the man and Jones never fought him.
The Rocchigiani mess also hurts him imo. Remember Jones went to hw, gave up his belt. Rocchigiani wins the regular WBC belt, when Jones decided to move back down the WBC just announced Jones regular WBC champ and made Rocchigiani interim champ. Then a fight between these two was announced and Jones backed out of it but kept his title. Rocchigiani then sued the WBC, won and got 50 Million Dollar, more than he made in his entire career, and the WBC nearly went broke. Just because they wanted to kiss Jones ass ...
bodhi is offline  Top
Old 11-23-2009, 05:21 AM   #18
zadfrak
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Well you have that plus 2 other items; ko--not tko--by relatively light hitters in Johnson and Tarver. You sure don't hear those names mentioned when discussing the top lh fighters. How can a guy get a pass for ko defeats to the likes of those 2?
zadfrak is offline  Top
Old 11-23-2009, 05:36 AM   #19
mckay_89
Haw you!
ESB Addict

vCash: 1065

I had him at 10 when I last made a list, don't think he could be rated any higher.
mckay_89 is offline  Top
Old 11-23-2009, 05:43 AM   #20
zadfrak
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Gee---Donny Lalonde at 24th best lh over the last 100 years, huh? I guess his big victim Carlos Tite would be in the top 30 as well?
zadfrak is offline  Top
Old 11-23-2009, 05:59 AM   #21
WhataRock
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 166

Quote:
Originally Posted by zadfrak View Post
Gee---Donny Lalonde at 24th best lh over the last 100 years, huh? I guess his big victim Carlos Tite would be in the top 30 as well?
Wouldnt really put much into the rankings outside the top 10 zad.

Rummy counted all lists no matter how silly they might have been.

You will notice for the lightweight rankings some clown put Manny Pac at no1 and Oscar De la Hoya at no2...they are going to be counted so very likely will be inside the top 20 when the results are tallied.

The task was to make a top 10 and because most people in the classic have a pretty good grasp of boxing history, for the most part the usual suspects kept coming up in the 10. But once in a while there was a bizarre inclusion.
WhataRock is offline  Top
Old 11-23-2009, 06:02 AM   #22
bodhi
So I can die easy ...
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhataRock View Post
Wouldnt really put much into the rankings outside the top 10 zad.

Rummy counted all lists no matter how silly they might have been.

You will notice for the lightweight rankings some clown put Manny Pac at no1 and Oscar De la Hoya at no2...they are going to be counted so very likely will be inside the top 20 when the results are tallied.

The task was to make a top 10 and because most people in the classic have a pretty good grasp of boxing history, for the most part the usual suspects kept coming up in the 10. But once in a while there was a bizarre inclusion.
Yeah but no DM in these list at all is a disgrace for the classic board in my oppinion. He is as deserving as Jones. I mean, you have Maske on it ffs.

Oh and Harold Johnson and John Henry Lewis behind RJJ? Wonder how this happened. The worst list out of Rummy´s lists up to now.
bodhi is offline  Top
Old 11-23-2009, 06:21 AM   #23
WhataRock
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 166

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhi View Post
Yeah but no DM in these list at all is a disgrace for the classic board in my oppinion. He is as deserving as Jones. I mean, you have Maske on it ffs.

Oh and Harold Johnson and John Henry Lewis behind RJJ? Wonder how this happened. The worst list out of Rummy´s lists up to now.
Forget the rest...it was a top 10 list. Most people didnt even factor in guys like DM because they arent deserving of a top 10 shout..you just got an occasional poster who chucked in an odd inclusion...whether they were their favorites, or they dont know much about boxing or they were taking the piss I dont know..The whole point of the thread was to make a consensus top 10 and I think its a fairly solid one.

Would you have DM in your top 10? That, IMO, would be as just as much as a disgrace.

Im not sure how DM would have anymore a shout over Roy anyway..Both had pretty pissy resumes but Id give Roy the edge there, as well as the fact he looked far better against their common opponants and generally appeared a level above him.
WhataRock is offline  Top
Old 11-23-2009, 06:26 AM   #24
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by zadfrak View Post
Ever heard of Eddie Davis and Leslie Stewart?
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Old 11-23-2009, 06:29 AM   #25
trampie
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Not Top10. Top15 is fair I think. His resume there isn´t that great, he ducked quite a few - most noticable Michaelchewski and Rocchigiani - and was never the man - DM unified the belts before him and just got stripped of them because the ABC-crap-people wanted Jones to have them, because there was more money with him. DM was the man and Jones never fought him.
The Rocchigiani mess also hurts him imo. Remember Jones went to hw, gave up his belt. Rocchigiani wins the regular WBC belt, when Jones decided to move back down the WBC just announced Jones regular WBC champ and made Rocchigiani interim champ. Then a fight between these two was announced and Jones backed out of it but kept his title. Rocchigiani then sued the WBC, won and got 50 Million Dollar, more than he made in his entire career, and the WBC nearly went broke. Just because they wanted to kiss Jones ass ...
Fancy that Roy Jones ducking out of a fight , it was said that Roy Jones asked Chris Eubank should he fight Calzaghe and Eubank told him ''no the risk is too great'', so he never did fight Calzaghe till the end of their careers at Light-Heavyweight as it happened, Roy Jones was battered by Calzaghe, just what Jones Jnr deserved .
trampie is offline  Top
Old 11-23-2009, 03:51 PM   #26
My2Sense
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Rocchigiani then sued the WBC, won and got 50 Million Dollar, more than he made in his entire career, and the WBC nearly went broke. Just because they wanted to kiss Jones ass ...
That was awesome.

Too bad Rocky settled out of court with the WBC. Would've been great to see them go under instead.
My2Sense is offline  Top
Old 11-23-2009, 05:14 PM   #27
Longhhorn71
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Physically, maybe one of the best.

Moore, Charles, Foster, and Spinks have the big guns to win late if the fight is for 15 rds.

Jones vs Tunney is a a toss-up, but I favor Jones.
Longhhorn71 is offline  Top
Old 11-23-2009, 05:34 PM   #28
bodhi
So I can die easy ...
East Side Guru

Quote:
Would you have DM in your top 10? That, IMO, would be as just as much as a disgrace.
Of course not!

Quote:
Im not sure how DM would have anymore a shout over Roy anyway..Both had pretty pissy resumes but Id give Roy the edge there, as well as the fact he looked far better against their common opponants and generally appeared a level above him.
Well, DM beat most fighters before Jones and he was he lineal champ, and Jones just go the bels he got stripped of. You can be make a case. Personally I rank in tiers and think both are in the same tier, ranking between 12 and 15.
bodhi is offline  Top
Old 11-23-2009, 05:34 PM   #29
bodhi
So I can die easy ...
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by My2Sense View Post
That was awesome.

Too bad Rocky settled out of court with the WBC. Would've been great to see them go under instead.
Yeah, that was a bit sad.
bodhi is offline  Top
Old 11-23-2009, 06:00 PM   #30
he grant
Historian/Film Maker
East Side Guru

No way he makes top twenty or even 25.
he grant is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum