Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 11-23-2009, 06:01 PM   #31
Longhhorn71
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Where Do You Rate Roy Jones Jr In The All Time Rankings At Light-Heavyweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnThomas1 View Post
Ever heard of Eddie Davis and Leslie Stewart?
"Red Top" Davis?
Longhhorn71 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-2009, 06:22 PM   #32
Minotauro
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Default Re: Where Do You Rate Roy Jones Jr In The All Time Rankings At Light-Heavyweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thread Stealer View Post
They had a poll on LHW rankings earlier. He got ranked #11.

1. 971 Ezzard Charles (30)
2. 652 Archie Moore (4)
3. 557 Gene Tunney (8 )
4. 452 Sam Langford (4)
5. 328 Michael Spinks (1)
6. 288 Bob Foster
7. 181 Harry Greb
8. 148 Billy Conn
9. 140 Tommy Loughran
10. 81 Bob Fitzsimmons
11. 79 Roy Jones Jr
12. 50 Harold Johnson
13. 15 Jimmy Slattery
14. 10 Saad Muhammad
15. 7 Victor Galindez
16. 6 Jack Dillon
17. 5 Jack O'Brian
17. 5 John Henry Lewis
19. 4 Eddie Mustafa Muhammad
19. 4 Dwight Qawi
21. 3 Jimmy Bivins
21. 3 Tommy Gibbons
21. 3 Maxie Rosenbloom
24. 1 Donny Lalonde
24. 1 George Carpentier
24. 1 Henry Maske

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Kid Norfolk didn't make the top 24. Who mentioned Maske and Lalonde? Those poster should be found and banned. Or at least banned from the classic section.
Minotauro is offline  Top
Old 11-23-2009, 06:34 PM   #33
Minotauro
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I have him placed at 13 now he used to be higher but has since dropped a place or two.
Minotauro is offline  Top
Old 11-24-2009, 07:33 AM   #34
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarsean View Post
who would you favour to beat him, also this question is to everyone else that make a post
Fighters I'd make a healthy favourate over Jones:

Charles - just so good all round
Foster - speed/sharpness/accuracy rangyness and brutal power

Fighters with a decent shot but underdogs

Tunney - excellent straight punches, although Jones is the faster man, both fight with low hands, Tunney's 1-2 may offset Jones, but I don't really see it

Spinks - punchers chance but too herky jerky and off balance, I can Jones using angles and speed to win a wide UD

Moorer - similar stylistically to Jones but much much slower and always struggled with faster men like Patterson/Charles/Burley, has durability question marks of his own

Harold Johnson - great fighter with all round ability, a very live underdog

No Chance

Greb - too small, little power, smaller hes getting outboxed and beat up
Conn - as much as I like Conn I don't see the styles suiting him with his lack of power, also a smaller man himself
Langford - technically not good enough, would be completely picked apart
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 11-24-2009, 08:52 AM   #35
Ezzard
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhi View Post
Not Top10. Top15 is fair I think. His resume there isnīt that great, he ducked quite a few - most noticable Michaelchewski and Rocchigiani - and was never the man - DM unified the belts before him and just got stripped of them because the ABC-crap-people wanted Jones to have them, because there was more money with him. DM was the man and Jones never fought him.
The Rocchigiani mess also hurts him imo. Remember Jones went to hw, gave up his belt. Rocchigiani wins the regular WBC belt, when Jones decided to move back down the WBC just announced Jones regular WBC champ and made Rocchigiani interim champ. Then a fight between these two was announced and Jones backed out of it but kept his title. Rocchigiani then sued the WBC, won and got 50 Million Dollar, more than he made in his entire career, and the WBC nearly went broke. Just because they wanted to kiss Jones ass ...
Jones was a great talent but he took the sport for a ride and the TV people and the governing bodies allowed it.

I'd put him at around 20...
Ezzard is offline  Top
Old 11-24-2009, 05:42 PM   #36
Body Head
East Side Rape (CEO)
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

For me he makes it around number 8,9,10. Either one is fine. He didn't face great light heavies like some other boxers but he still had some nice wins and for the most part completely dominated.

The only two fighters who would be a handful for Roy is Charles and Spinks. Foster would be a hard fight but I can see Jones winning a decision.

As for the Spinks fight Addie, I don't think there would be a knockout in that fight. I just don't see either fighter winning by knockout. It would go the decision.

Spinks has never been in with someone like Roy and Roy has never been in there with someone like Spinks.

This fight would be way too hard to make a conclusion about who would win, if you think the only way this fight would end is by knockout for Spinks that's pretty ridiculous. Roy is better than both Eddie and Qawi and they lasted a decision.

You are also forgetting that Roy had very good power at light heavyweight. I would wager to say he had more power than Michael. Michael has only knocked out Marvin Johnson.
Body Head is offline  Top
Old 11-24-2009, 05:46 PM   #37
lefthook31
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

From an accomplishment point, I dont care to rank him. I hate mythical lists. From an ability point of view, he is by far the most gifted fighter Ive ever seen, and I dont see how any fighter at LH throughout history could be favored over him. He was just too good at his best. He showed the ability to deal with all styles. His achiles heel might have been a good slick counterpuncher, but that was more based on luck and timing to catch him more than outclassing him over 12 rounds.
lefthook31 is offline  Top
Old 11-24-2009, 05:48 PM   #38
teeto
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: Team Ireland Manor, Easing Pabuiao into the life of managing the GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefthook31 View Post
From an accomplishment point, I dont care to rank him. I hate mythical lists. From an ability point of view, he is by far the most gifted fighter Ive ever seen, and I dont see how any fighter at LH throughout history could be favored over him. He was just too good at his best. He showed the ability to deal with all styles. His achiles heel might have been a good slick counterpuncher, but that was more based on luck and timing to catch him more than outclassing him over 12 rounds.
I'd favour Mike Spinks but i whole heartedly see your point.
teeto is offline  Top
Old 11-24-2009, 05:49 PM   #39
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

vCash: 842

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefthook31 View Post
You don't care to rank him on accomplishments because he dominated a really weak division, and you're a big fan of Jones Jr. He showed amazing ability against a lot of lesser fighters, and I would pick Michael Spinks to beat him at 175lbs. He has the size to impose himself on Jones, the skills to land, and the power to end the argument.
Addie is offline  Top
Old 11-24-2009, 05:50 PM   #40
teeto
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: Team Ireland Manor, Easing Pabuiao into the life of managing the GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
You don't care to rank him on accomplishments because he dominated a really weak division, and you're a big fan of Jones Jr. He showed amazing ability against a lot of lesser fighters, and I would pick Michael Spinks to beat him at 175lbs. He has the size to impose himself on Jones, the skills to land, and the power to end the argument.
I beat you to it!
teeto is offline  Top
Old 11-24-2009, 05:51 PM   #41
Body Head
East Side Rape (CEO)
ESB Senior Member

Addie your pissing me off Spinks would NOT KO Roy Jones.

I think Addie is jealous of Roy Jones or something because people rate Roy better than Spinks on all time lists
Old 11-24-2009, 05:52 PM   #42
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeto View Post
I beat you to it!
Least I called him up on his bullshit though. "I don't care to rank Jones on achievements". Okay then, Jones whooped Gonzales and looked amazing doing it, let's rate him above far more accomplished Light Heavyweights like Bob Foster, or Michael Spinks.
Addie is offline  Top
Old 11-24-2009, 05:55 PM   #43
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Body Head View Post
Addie your pissing me off Spinks would NOT KO Roy Jones.

I think Addie is jealous of Roy Jones or something because people rate Roy better than Spinks on all time lists
I've already told you why I think Jones gets laid flat on his back. The biggest hitter the man faced at Light Heavyweight was named Antonio Tarver, a man who had him out cold with a single blow. I know the circumstances leading up to the fight, but Michael Spinks was a man mountain at standing 6'3. His size alone would cause problems, but he was a great amateur, he could box as well as punch. His awkward assortment of punches thrown in combination, I can't stress enough, are going to cause havoc for a fighter who relies on timing and reflexes. Jones would take the early rounds, Spinks was one of the slowest fighters I've ever seen, but he'll start letting his hands go, and he'll eventually land...and it's goodnight. Jones never fought anyone like Spinks.
Addie is offline  Top
Old 11-24-2009, 06:07 PM   #44
Body Head
East Side Rape (CEO)
ESB Senior Member

Whatever i'm not arguing with u cuz i'll never win you're on Michael Spinks dick too hard.

P.S. Bob Foster should not be number 6 or 7 or whatever he is, Foster does not have the names to be that high. Name me other fighters he beat besides Tiger, Quarry and Ahumada...?
Old 11-24-2009, 06:18 PM   #45
Decy
Barely Coherent
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thread Stealer View Post
They had a poll on LHW rankings earlier. He got ranked #11.

1. 971 Ezzard Charles (30)
2. 652 Archie Moore (4)
3. 557 Gene Tunney (8 )
4. 452 Sam Langford (4)
5. 328 Michael Spinks (1)
6. 288 Bob Foster
7. 181 Harry Greb
8. 148 Billy Conn
9. 140 Tommy Loughran
10. 81 Bob Fitzsimmons
11. 79 Roy Jones Jr
12. 50 Harold Johnson
13. 15 Jimmy Slattery
14. 10 Saad Muhammad
15. 7 Victor Galindez
16. 6 Jack Dillon
17. 5 Jack O'Brian
17. 5 John Henry Lewis
19. 4 Eddie Mustafa Muhammad
19. 4 Dwight Qawi
21. 3 Jimmy Bivins
21. 3 Tommy Gibbons
21. 3 Maxie Rosenbloom
24. 1 Donny Lalonde
24. 1 George Carpentier
24. 1 Henry Maske

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
How in gods name is Lalonde on that list if Conteh misses out?
Decy is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum