Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 11-24-2009, 06:38 PM   #46
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Where Do You Rate Roy Jones Jr In The All Time Rankings At Light-Heavyweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I've already told you why I think Jones gets laid flat on his back. The biggest hitter the man faced at Light Heavyweight was named Antonio Tarver, a man who had him out cold with a single blow. I know the circumstances leading up to the fight, but Michael Spinks was a man mountain at standing 6'3. His size alone would cause problems, but he was a great amateur, he could box as well as punch. His awkward assortment of punches thrown in combination, I can't stress enough, are going to cause havoc for a fighter who relies on timing and reflexes. Jones would take the early rounds, Spinks was one of the slowest fighters I've ever seen, but he'll start letting his hands go, and he'll eventually land...and it's goodnight. Jones never fought anyone like Spinks.
1. Jones fought quite a few men 6'2 or bigger, size isn't necessarily an issue
2. Spinks never fought anyone nearly as fast, or slick or unpredictable as Jones, this is a big factor
3. Jones has far far more skill than Spinks without doubt
4. Spinks has balance issues, sloppy footwork, has sloppy punch technique, not much snap on his shots, an open defense.
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-2009, 07:05 PM   #47
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

vCash: 842
Default Re: Where Do You Rate Roy Jones Jr In The All Time Rankings At Light-Heavyweight

Quote:
1. Jones fought quite a few men 6'2 or bigger, size isn't necessarily an issu
Jones didn't even beat a fighter as good as Spinks, let alone a fighter as big.

Quote:
2. Spinks never fought anyone nearly as fast, or slick or unpredictable as Jones, this is a big factor
Another big factor being, Jones never fought anyone with combination of size and power as Spinks.

Quote:
3. Jones has far far more skill than Spinks without doubt
Won't stop him getting knocked out.

Quote:
4. Spinks has balance issues, sloppy footwork, has sloppy punch technique, not much snap on his shots, an open defense.
Not much snap on his shots. Tell that Marvin Johnson.

Jones has a punch resistance issue, and relies on his reflexes...bad news for someone like Spinks, who doesn't have sloppy technique. he just throws in awkward combination. He'll land on Jones soon enough, and Jones will be snoring...again. Nobody has ever questioned Jones being more skilled, but want me to list the fighters in history who have been knocked out by less skilled opposition? It's a non factor because it won't go to the cards.
Addie is offline  Top
Old 11-24-2009, 07:19 PM   #48
Tin_Ribs
Me
ESB Senior Member

I'd take Charles, Spinks and Foster to all KO him clean as a whistle with no argument to the contrary. I could also envision Saad, Moore, Gregory, Conteh, Tunney, Johnson and Galindez beating him in varying manners, though it's not certain. And I could envision Loughran, Pastrano and Conn outpointing him, though they perhaps don't have the respective styles to trouble him the most.

He's great, but he beat nobody at 175 to suggest that he belongs in the top 10, or that he had the overall tools and resilence to beat an all time elite technician.

That sounds harsher than what it is and I'd give him a good shot at beating some of the above. Maybe.
Tin_Ribs is offline  Top
Old 11-24-2009, 07:24 PM   #49
Body Head
East Side Rape (CEO)
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

wow the classic forum is totally different than the general. There's lots of hate for Roy here.

Roy KO's Spinks in 3.
Body Head is offline  Top
Old 11-24-2009, 07:27 PM   #50
Polymath
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Michael Spinks. The last thing Jones needs is a 6'3 skilled boxer puncher
I met Spinks he's nowhere near 6'3. He's a better 175lber than Jones of course.
Polymath is offline  Top
Old 11-24-2009, 07:28 PM   #51
The Morlocks
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarsean View Post
Where do you think Roy Jones Jr should be ranked in the list of all time greats at light-heavyweight.

I think Roy Jones Jr is difficult to rate at lightheavy because he was so dominate at the weight at his peak yet at the same time the division was pretty weak during his time and there was no truely great fighter at his weight to test him and prove his greatness against.

I think Hd 2 Hd he rates very high, but its the questions that were left unanswered during his peak years that makes it so hard to know where he rates, and how truely great he was at his peak.

so where do you rate Roy Jones Jr in the all time great light-heavyweights in history.
At about around 48. just like floyd, he avoided the best and fought all the rest. tunney is tops, then charles
remember only his performance's at light-heavyweight count
at about 48. just like floyd he avoided the best
The Morlocks is offline  Top
Old 11-24-2009, 07:29 PM   #52
Tin_Ribs
Me
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Body Head View Post
wow the classic forum is totally different than the general. There's lots of hate for Roy here.

Roy KO's Spinks in 3.
No, there isn't. He's an all time great who gets his dues, more than his dues. It's just that most of us have watched a fair amount of other all time greats aside from Jones. And yes, there is a massive deal of difference between here and the general on account of the fact that people know what they're talking about.

He isn't beating Spinks while my arse points down.
Tin_Ribs is offline  Top
Old 11-24-2009, 07:30 PM   #53
WhataRock
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 166

Quote:

Roy KO's Spinks in 3.
Well then by all means stay there.
WhataRock is offline  Top
Old 11-24-2009, 07:32 PM   #54
Tin_Ribs
Me
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polymath View Post
I met Spinks he's nowhere near 6'3. He's a better 175lber than Jones of course.
Some sources have him down as being 6'2 and a half. I think CBZ has him as 6'1 though.
Tin_Ribs is offline  Top
Old 11-24-2009, 07:36 PM   #55
Polymath
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

CBZ?

He's definitely shorter than Tommy Hearns, who was billed at 6'1 but was over 6'2.

Spinks is about 6'1 and has a heavyweight frame.
Polymath is offline  Top
Old 11-24-2009, 07:37 PM   #56
lefthook31
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
You don't care to rank him on accomplishments because he dominated a really weak division, and you're a big fan of Jones Jr. He showed amazing ability against a lot of lesser fighters, and I would pick Michael Spinks to beat him at 175lbs. He has the size to impose himself on Jones, the skills to land, and the power to end the argument.
No I just dont like mythical BS lists because thats what they are BS. And your nuts if you think he dominated a really weak divison. Its always a weak division with you guys. Spinks never saw anything like Jones Jr. Many guys had the size and power to land and impose their will on him and they didnt. Johnson, Telesco, Hall, Hill,were all tall decent bangers, maybe not in the class of Spinks but still solid fighters that got completely shut out.
lefthook31 is offline  Top
Old 11-24-2009, 07:42 PM   #57
WhataRock
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Whatever i'm not arguing with u cuz i'll never win you're on Michael Spinks dick too hard.

P.S. Bob Foster should not be number 6 or 7 or whatever he is, Foster does not have the names to be that high. Name me other fighters he beat besides Tiger, Quarry and Ahumada...?
Eddie Cotton
Henry Hank
Former Olympian and Amatuer star Roger Rouse
Olympic Gold Medalist Chris Finnegan
Vincente Rondon (WBA champ at the time he beat him)

Foster gets a lot of marks for his in the ring dominance..He destroyed and completely ruined some very good fighters. His era was certainly stronger then Roy's overall.
If RJJ had faced and dominated DM, which he probably would of, that would have really helped his cause for solidifying a top 10 spot.
As for now he ranks far better on p4p lists then his ranking at any one weight. (aside supermiddle of course)
Old 11-24-2009, 07:44 PM   #58
sugarsean
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1057

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Morlocks View Post
at about 48. just like floyd he avoided the best
I did'nt write that you must of edited my post through the quote option

why would you do that, thats not funny
sugarsean is offline  Top
Old 11-24-2009, 07:49 PM   #59
WhataRock
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefthook31 View Post
No I just dont like mythical BS lists because thats what they are BS. And your nuts if you think he dominated a really weak divison. Its always a weak division with you guys. Spinks never saw anything like Jones Jr. Many guys had the size and power to land and impose their will on him and they didnt. Johnson, Telesco, Hall, Hill,were all tall decent bangers, maybe not in the class of Spinks but still solid fighters that got completely shut out.
Wow....your not seriously comparing those guys to Spinks just because they were tall. Anyway Johnson (Glenn and Reggie) and Hill werent as rangy as Spinks, not even really close. From memory Roy was taller then the Johnsons.

Its one thing to be tall...its another to know how to use it. Thats what Addie is getting at, Spinks' jab and awkward shot delivery was very hard to get by. There is no maybe about it, those guys are no where near Spinks' class.

Roy's era was weak as piss...Its as simple as that. An ancient fat Mike McCallum was able to bag a title, Glenn freaking Kelly was able to become a mandatory.
Old 11-24-2009, 07:56 PM   #60
lefthook31
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhataRock View Post
Wow....your not seriously comparing those guys to Spinks just because they were tall. Anyway Johnson (Glenn and Reggie) and Hill werent as rangy as Spinks, not even really close. From memory Roy was taller then the Johnsons.

Its one thing to be tall...its another to know how to use it. Thats what Addie is getting at, Spinks' jab and awkward shot delivery was very hard to get by. There is no maybe about it, those guys are no where near Spinks' class.

Roy's era was weak as piss...Its as simple as that. An ancient fat Mike McCallum was able to bag a title, Glenn freaking Kelly was able to become a mandatory.
You obviously didnt read my post to make your post. Yeah Glen Kelley, why not throw in Otis Grant too? Weak as piss your nuts. Id rank his comp better than Hopkins at middle. Do you even know how Richard Hall is? He was as rangey as they come. Read my post again and maybe you can put it in the proper context.
Ive stood next to Roy Jones, he aint anywhere near 5'10 5'11. Hes more like 5'9.
lefthook31 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum