Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 11-24-2009, 08:02 PM   #61
Body Head
East Side Rape (CEO)
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75
Default Re: Where Do You Rate Roy Jones Jr In The All Time Rankings At Light-Heavyweight

I thought u just said this forum section was knowledgeable whatarock? Your post has no knowledge at all to it...
Body Head is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-2009, 08:05 PM   #62
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

vCash: 842
Default Re: Where Do You Rate Roy Jones Jr In The All Time Rankings At Light-Heavyweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhataRock View Post
Its one thing to be tall...its another to know how to use it. Thats what Addie is getting at, Spinks' jab and awkward shot delivery was very hard to get by. There is no maybe about it, those guys are no where near Spinks' class.
Exactly. Jones can maneuver out the way of textbook shots and combinations, but there was nothing textbook about Spinks. I don't think he was sloppy, he just threw really awkward combination's. You usually see the same thing, but when Spinks was in the ring, he'd bring a hook round after an uppercut, and that is almost impossible to avoid. The Cooney knockout and the Larry Holmes fights are pretty good examples.Cooney had no idea where the punches were coming from, and neither did Larry. One of the most unpredictable fighters I've seen on film, and Jones, who ducks, pulls back, and showboats, would be in for a rude awakening.

Even if he isn't 6'3, he's billed around that much, and he looked virtually as big as Holmes in the ring in terms of height...who is also billed at 6'3. The overriding point is, Spinks brings a lot of size, a lot of range, and a hell of a lot of power...and he's going to land on Jones because he's to awkward and unpredictable to outmaneuvered for 12 full rounds. Jones hasn't given me any reason to believe he can take his right hand...because he was either never hit, or he was knocked out cold.
Addie is offline  Top
Old 11-24-2009, 08:07 PM   #63
Tin_Ribs
Me
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefthook31 View Post
You obviously didnt read my post to make your post. Yeah Glen Kelley, why not throw in Otis Grant too? Weak as piss your nuts. Id rank his comp better than Hopkins at middle. Do you even know how Richard Hall is? He was as rangey as they come. Read my post again and maybe you can put it in the proper context.
Ive stood next to Roy Jones, he aint anywhere near 5'10 5'11. Hes more like 5'9.
Spinks beat Eddie Davis, Eddie M M, Qawi, Lopez, Johnson, Sutherland etc etc; most of that lot were twice as good as anyone Jones faced at 175. He then stepped up to heavyweight and beat an undefeated all time top 5 heavyweight twice in a row. He had everything that Jones sought to avoid throughout his career, which is a combination of elite technical skill, unorthodoxy, resilience and true KO power in either hand. Don't even bring up the loss to Tyson if you don't want the Tarver and Johnson blowouts thrown back at you.

Jones is an all time great, but it comes from his weight jumping exploits rather than his dominance of any one division, like WhatARock said.
Tin_Ribs is offline  Top
Old 11-24-2009, 08:10 PM   #64
WhataRock
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 166

Quote:
. And your nuts if you think he dominated a really weak divison. Its always a weak division with you guys.
This is what you said.

It was weak historically no doubt about it and you are trying to dispute that.
Yes modern eras always get called weak at the time..But in 10..20..30 years time it will be still called weak compared to some of the best we have seen.

Quote:
Spinks never saw anything like Jones Jr. Many guys had the size and power to land and impose their will on him and they didnt. Johnson, Telesco, Hall, Hill,were all tall decent bangers, maybe not in the class of Spinks but still solid fighters that got completely shut out.
Thats what you said.

Clearly you are trying to compare these guys to Spinks, in an attempt to suggest Roy would have no problems with his size...and that quite frankly deserves one of these

True Spinks never faced anyone like Roy but Roy definetely never faced someone like Spinks.
At least with Michael we got to see his mettle when he was tested against the likes of Qawi, Johnson, EMM and Lopez. I challenge you to find one opponent of Roy's at lightheavy thats as good as one of those guys let alone all of them.

Richard Hall??? Again .

Hall is utterly hopeless next to Spinks...Yeah he is tall and can punch a bit but thats where the comparisons end.

Id rank his competition about as good, probably better then Hopkins' aswell. But what the hell does that mean, Hopkins presided over an very weak era himself.
WhataRock is online now  Top
Old 11-24-2009, 08:11 PM   #65
lefthook31
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Exactly. Jones can maneuver out the way of textbook shots and combinations, but there was nothing textbook about Spinks. I don't think he was sloppy, he just threw really awkward combination's. You usually see the same thing, but when Spinks was in the ring, he'd bring a hook round after an uppercut, and that is almost impossible to avoid. The Cooney knockout and the Larry Holmes fights are pretty good examples.Cooney had no idea where the punches were coming from, and neither did Larry. One of the most unpredictable fighters I've seen on film, and Jones, who ducks, pulls back, and showboats, would be in for a rude awakening.

Even if he isn't 6'3, he's billed around that much, and he looked virtually as big as Holmes in the ring in terms of height...who is also billed at 6'3. The overriding point is, Spinks brings a lot of size, a lot of range, and a hell of a lot of power...and he's going to land on Jones because he's to awkward and unpredictable to outmaneuvered for 12 full rounds. Jones hasn't given me any reason to believe he can take his right hand...because he was either never hit, or he was knocked out cold.
Believe me I know what the f*ck rangey means, and I know how good Jones and Spinks were too. Jones was one of the quickest counterpunchers ever, and was very good at taking away range, jabs, and pressure with his speed. He showboated when he knew he couldnt get hit. I doubt he would approach a fight with Spinks showboating until he set the pace, like he did in most of his fights.
lefthook31 is offline  Top
Old 11-24-2009, 08:12 PM   #66
WhataRock
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Body Head View Post
I thought u just said this forum section was knowledgeable whatarock? Your post has no knowledge at all to it...
Please feel free to point out the bits that arent.

And when did I say that anyway?
Old 11-24-2009, 08:14 PM   #67
Body Head
East Side Rape (CEO)
ESB Senior Member

Sutherland, Lopez, Johnson and Eddie Davis were twice as good as anyone Jones faced at Light Heavy....smh you're pathetic...

Yes Jones didn't face anybody as good as Qawi for sure at light heavyweight. The rest can be debated.

You are European, from the posts of seen from you Euro's I can't take you guys seriously.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:17 PM   #68
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

Quote:
Believe me I know what the f*ck rangey means, and I know how good Jones and Spinks were too. Jones was one of the quickest counterpunchers ever, and was very good at taking away range, jabs, and pressure with his speed. He showboated when he knew he couldnt get hit. I doubt he would approach a fight with Spinks showboating until he set the pace, like he did in most of his fights.
...He won't be showboating at all in the ring with Spinks because he'll be getting hit more times than he's accustomed too. You can't spar with anyone to prepare yourself for Jones, but the same applies to Spinks...because no other fighter fought like Spinks did. When he landed his right hand, he either got enough respect that his opponent wouldn't feel like trading anymore...or you'd go down, and sometimes out for the count. Nobody ever did what Spinks did to Johnson, and that was with his weaker hand. A beautiful, pin point uppercut, ...that's extremely hard to defend against.

It comes down to this for me. If Spinks can land often enough, he'll knock Junior Jones out...and there's no way I see Jones looking elusive in this fight...not down the stretch.
Addie is offline  Top
Old 11-24-2009, 08:18 PM   #69
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

Quote:
Sutherland, Lopez, Johnson and Eddie Davis were twice as good as anyone Jones faced at Light Heavy....smh you're pathetic...

Yes Jones didn't face anybody as good as Qawi for sure at light heavyweight. The rest can be debated.

You are European, from the posts of seen from you Euro's I can't take you guys seriously.
Qawi, Lopez, Johnson and Mustafa were certainly better than any LHW's Jones defeated.
Addie is offline  Top
Old 11-24-2009, 08:20 PM   #70
WhataRock
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:

Actually name them then..back up what you say.

You talking very matter of factly but you aint saying anything to back it up. Come on mate debate it then. Name the fighters and say why they are better.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:20 PM   #71
Body Head
East Side Rape (CEO)
ESB Senior Member

at Junior Jones
Old 11-24-2009, 08:22 PM   #72
lefthook31
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhataRock View Post
This is what you said.

It was weak historically no doubt about it and you are trying to dispute that.
Yes modern eras always get called weak at the time..But in 10..20..30 years time it will be still called weak compared to some of the best we have seen.

Thats what you said.

Clearly you are trying to compare these guys to Spinks, in an attempt to suggest Roy would have no problems with his size...and that quite frankly deserves one of these

True Spinks never faced anyone like Roy but Roy definetely never faced someone like Spinks.
At least with Michael we got to see his mettle when he was tested against the likes of Qawi, Johnson, EMM and Lopez. I challenge you to find one opponent of Roy's at lightheavy thats as good as one of those guys let alone all of them.

Richard Hall??? Again .

Hall is utterly hopeless next to Spinks...Yeah he is tall and can punch a bit but thats where the comparisons end.

Id rank his competition about as good, probably better then Hopkins' aswell. But what the hell does that mean, Hopkins presided over an very weak era himself.
How the hell does that imply Im comparing them to Spinks? Its proof that he faced taller guys who coud punch from range. Have you even followed he contenders Jones faced? You can throw Telesco in that group and Del Valle too, who werent too shabby themselves.
lefthook31 is offline  Top
Old 11-24-2009, 08:22 PM   #73
Tin_Ribs
Me
ESB Senior Member

Quote:

And that was my post. If you're going to criticize, get the right person. Or just **** off back to the general forum with all the other dingbats.

I'm mad at myself for even arguing.
Tin_Ribs is offline  Top
Old 11-24-2009, 08:27 PM   #74
WhataRock
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
How the hell does that imply Im comparing them to Spinks? Its proof that he faced taller guys who coud punch from range. Have you even followed he contenders Jones faced? You can throw Telesco in that group and Del Valle too, who werent too shabby themselves.
Sigh....They were shabby left..Thats the point.

Yes they were bigger then Roy....Jones wasnt a big very light heavy.

But their size is just one part of the picture. Spinks does everything better then them by some margin and proved it against far better opposition.

They couldnt punch very well at range...not compared to Spinks. They were predictable and lacked skill in comparison.

I just cant figure out why you dont see that.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:28 PM   #75
Body Head
East Side Rape (CEO)
ESB Senior Member

Reggie Johnson is better than Marvin Johnson

Montell Griffin and Antonio Tarver is about tied with Eddie Mustafa

Virgil Hill is about tied with Yaqui Lopez

Spinks leftovers--Eddie Davis, Murray Sutherland

Jones leftovers-- Eric Harding, Clinton Woods, old Mccallum,

Just tell me how Jones division was piss poor, shit i'm mad as **** I never get mad over the internet but today i'm pissed, you guys are just pathetic biased ****s.

Qawi is better than all of them.

It seems like all people from out of North America have a hate towards Roy Jones, you guys can suck dick no one cares about Europeans or Australians...

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum