Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 09-15-2007, 09:06 PM   #91
Jersey Joe
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 975
Default Re: Many people consider Sugar Ray Robinson the GOAT...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyn1550
How were the 1940s a weak era? Have you seen all of the names on Sugar Ray Robinson's resume?

Henry Armstrong
Kid Gavilan
Jake LaMotta
Sammy Angott
Fritzie Zivic
Carmen Basilio
Gene Fullmer
Randolph Turpin
Joey Maxim
Rocky Graziano
Rocky Castellani
Charley Fusari
Carl Bobo Olson
Joey Giardello
Maxie Shapiro
Jimmy Doyle
Tommy Bell
Jean Walzack

Come on China_hand....Robinson's competition was far superior to the Lacy, Eubank, Bika, Veit, and Ashira of Calzaghe's resume.
And let's not forget that for many of these guys, Robinson was in his 30s and fighting a division higher than his natural weight. It's like Calzaghe going up to light-heavy/cruiser and winning the world title 3 times against bone fide champions (not alphabet holders).
Jersey Joe is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-2007, 09:09 PM   #92
Jersey Joe
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 975

Quote:
Originally Posted by China_hand_Joe
If you want to go on believing boxing is the only sport which has not advanced in the last 60 years because it is 'special', then be my guest.

It is so obvious I'm not even going to elaborate further, we don't even need to look at the causes.

You are classic boxing fans, so you think boxing is somehow different, whatever the reasons, pretty much all sports have progressed over that period of time.

I am aware you will come out with counter-arguments, I don't care though. You can argue pretty much any ridiculous thing (flying spaghetti monster for example). The fact is advancements across the board in sports in substancial evidence. All the subject rubbish Pep-perts come out with is not. Debate over.
This argument falls down for the obvious fact that, had a 1940s fighter been in today's era, he would also have benefited from today's superior nutrition, training, and facilities. A modern fighter, if fighting in the 1940s, would face the disadvatages they had back then.

It's a bogus point.
Jersey Joe is offline  Top
Old 09-15-2007, 09:25 PM   #93
cross_trainer
Bergeron Avatar Club
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by China_hand_Joe
If you want to go on believing boxing is the only sport which has not advanced in the last 60 years because it is 'special', then be my guest.

It is so obvious I'm not even going to elaborate further, we don't even need to look at the causes.

You are classic boxing fans, so you think boxing is somehow different, whatever the reasons, pretty much all sports have progressed over that period of time.

I am aware you will come out with counter-arguments, I don't care though. You can argue pretty much any ridiculous thing (flying spaghetti monster for example). The fact is advancements across the board in sports in substancial evidence. All the subject rubbish Pep-perts come out with is not. Debate over.
You should change your avatar to something more appropriate:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
cross_trainer is offline  Top
Old 09-15-2007, 09:25 PM   #94
SugarRay
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Joe
This argument falls down for the obvious fact that, had a 1940s fighter been in today's era, he would also have benefited from today's superior nutrition, training, and facilities. A modern fighter, if fighting in the 1940s, would face the disadvatages they had back then.

It's a bogus point.
Which also means that fighters in Robinson's era relied more on their skills and abilities as they could not have relied on nutritional, training and whatever advancements.

Each boxing fan is entitled to his/her opinion. There are millions of fans out there and the majority think Robinson is the GOAT. This is what counts.
SugarRay is offline  Top
Old 09-15-2007, 09:29 PM   #95
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by cross_trainer
You should change your avatar to something more appropriate:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Old 09-15-2007, 09:33 PM   #96
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnThomas1
Don't feel bad John,

Last night I recieved a PM from one of the moderators from the lounge forum who told me that he had just removed my avator on the basis that it was too revealing, and that some posters had whined about others being able to view it while they were on line. I reminded the moderator that these posters had the option of hiding images, and he replied by saying that the dumb shites didn't no how, nor should they have to.

That's the last time I make the mistake of venturing to the ESB lounge, where apparently folks are too immature to handle adult material.
mr. magoo is offline  Top
Old 09-15-2007, 09:36 PM   #97
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. magoo
Don't feel bad John,

Last night I recieved a PM from one of the moderators from the lounge forum who told me that he had just removed my avator on the basis that it was too revealing, and that some posters had whined about others being able to view it while they were on line. I reminded the moderator that these posters had the option of hiding images, and he replied by saying that the dumb shites didn't no how, nor should they have to.

That's the last time I make the mistake of venturing to the ESB lounge, where apparently folks are too immature to handle adult material.
Jeez i can't believe that. What a soft mob over there hahaha. Yet look at some of the filth and bile (all the good stuff, really hahaha) they sift thru in everyday threads. I guess they actually know how to not open them? Personally i'm betting such threads are like flies to shit for them

Old 09-15-2007, 09:40 PM   #98
cross_trainer
Bergeron Avatar Club
ESB Addict

Quote:
Jeez i can't believe that. What a soft mob over there hahaha. Yet look at some of the filth and bile (all the good stuff, really hahaha) they sift thru in everyday threads. I guess they actually know how to not open them? Personally i'm betting such threads are like flies to shit for them

The Classic Section is the best of both worlds--civilized threads with tawdry pictures.
cross_trainer is offline  Top
Old 09-15-2007, 09:46 PM   #99
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by cross_trainer
The Classic Section is the best of both worlds--civilized threads with tawdry pictures.
Hahahaha, exactly!
Old 09-15-2007, 09:50 PM   #100
China_hand_Joe
Nostradamus
ESB Addict

vCash: 563

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Joe

It's a bogus point.
You agree, I think.
China_hand_Joe is offline  Top
Old 09-15-2007, 09:51 PM   #101
China_hand_Joe
Nostradamus
ESB Addict

vCash: 563

Looking at the video of Mayweather and the one of Robinson, it is quite clear to me Mayweather outpoints Sugar Ray " open to the jab" Robinson. LaMotta looked mighty predictable there, just walking forwards throwing the jab, no real feinting. Perhaps Robinson was intoxicated seeing the way he let it happen over and over, if so I suggest you post a better video you give your side of the argument a better chance.

Calzaghe was sublie, gave Manfredo no chance. Plenting of feinting, following it up and unleashing his fury on the cowering Manfredo.

Perhaps you can post some video of higher quality modern legends, of course Mayweather looks supremely good against Baldomir.
China_hand_Joe is offline  Top
Old 09-15-2007, 09:51 PM   #102
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:

Agreed,

They allow some of the nonsense and offensive BS, to continue on a momentary basis on that forum, yet they erase a simple picture of a women's naked backside ( probably the only decent thing the forum had going for it ). It was the avator that you've seen me with for the past month, containing no shots of cleavage or pie. The moderator said that I can use similar pics, but with nothing fully exposed, explaining my current choice. I suppose I'll give it a few days and return to my old tricks. I'll just stick to the classic forum, as we seem to be a bit more tolerant for good taste here.
Old 09-15-2007, 09:52 PM   #103
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Agreed,

They allow some of the nonsense and offensive BS, to continue on a momentary basis on that forum, yet they erase a simple picture of a women's naked backside ( probably the only decent thing the forum had going for it ). It was the avator that you've seen me with for the past month, containing no shots of cleavage or pie. The moderator said that I can use similar pics, but with nothing fully exposed, explaining my current choice. I suppose I'll give it a few days and return to my old tricks. I'll just stick to the classic forum, as we seem to be a bit more tolerant for good taste here.
Hahaha, fair call mate. Stay away from the evangelists of the Lounge and you'll be fine

Old 09-15-2007, 09:59 PM   #104
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Hahaha, fair call mate. Stay away from the evangelists of the Lounge and you'll be fine

Are you refering to :

Dear John,
Kind regards
I'm afraid I find yours and Mr. Magoo's taste in avators rather disturbing
As you know, I take a dim view on posters who project this perverse display of a declining society.
The women in Mr. Magoo's and your avators are the class of people whom I wouldn't spend my last dime of bus fare on.
I find your obsession with arses repulsive, as is Mr. Magoo's.
I'm sure that you'll come to the rightful conclusion that my views are the only which truly reflect that of a moral society.

Am I on the right track here?
Old 09-15-2007, 10:15 PM   #105
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Are you refering to :

Dear John,
Kind regards
I'm afraid I find yours and Mr. Magoo's taste in avators rather disturbing
As you know, I take a dim view on posters who project this perverse display of a declining society.
The women in Mr. Magoo's and your avators are the class of people whom I wouldn't spend my last dime of bus fare on.
I find your obsession with arses repulsive, as is Mr. Magoo's.
I'm sure that you'll come to the rightful conclusion that my views are the only which truly reflect that of a moral society.

Am I on the right track here?

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum