Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 09-04-2009, 06:12 AM   #1
leighton
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 650
Default Will Sky show my coment?

On Adam Smith blog he goes on about the Sky boxing coverage. Here is the comment I left I wont hold my breath. Below is the comment I left. More fight fans should do the same on his blog.

Sky have taken a back seat on there boxing coverage for some time. When Setanta was about they only showed local fights and the odd PPV of Hatton and Khan. Sky are a joke for this sport to get back to the glory days Sky need to get the finger out. You slag off bbc for not showing boxing but they havn't shown a fight since the Harrison days. Sky have been front runners from then on but has let the standards slip. You rip the fans off with your PPVs for average cards not worthy of a PPV fee. I do wonder if Setanta was still about would you even be interested in those big fights. You dont back the promotions that are worthy to back instead you go with the reliable ****** and Maloney fighters. Get Haymaker fights on and make sure you have Frochs fights in the Super 6 on Sky Sports to show you are serious about boxing. Boxing is dying on tv and with Sky being the only station showing fights at the moment it isn't getting any better any time soon.
leighton is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-2009, 06:15 AM   #2
Dan684
Dave's Stepdad
East Side Guru

vCash: 75
Default Re: Will Sky show my coment?

I'm gonna copy and paste it and send it too with a comment about them making sure the put it up for people to see. They have just ignored my comments before on certain matters regarding Setanta so lets hope for the best
Dan684 is offline  Top
Old 09-04-2009, 06:17 AM   #3
Losfer_Words
★★★ 2 TONE EXPRESS ★★★
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Well said, Leighton. In answer to your question, I put a very critical comment on the Sky Sports website when the opening Test of the Ashes was announced to be taking place in Cardiff a little while back. It was printed but was also edited- I did receive a reply from David Lloyd (aka Bumble), though, which was pretty cool. I reckon they'll do the same with you- put it up but edit the critical parts out.

What a cheek Sky have complaining about boxing coverage!
Losfer_Words is offline  Top
Old 09-04-2009, 06:19 AM   #4
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP

Probably not.

Though I do agree with pretty much everything you said.

In their position Sky now have the power to force fights - rather than doing deals with promoters for so many shows.

Make the promoters put forward proposals for approval - in effect bidding for TV money.

Think of some top class fights involving British/Irish fighters - some domestic level, others European and obviously world title fights...... that are unlikely to happen either now or down the line, but have interest from the public, if only Sky grew a pair and stuck it up the promoters:

Olympian vs Olympian for British titles - next year could be any one of about 8 matchups
Munroe vs Dunne
Lindsay vs Simpson/Truscott winner
Macklin vs Barker
Small vs loser of Rhodes-Moore
McCloskey vs Witter

Loads and loads.....
Beeston Brawler is offline  Top
Old 09-04-2009, 06:26 AM   #5
leighton
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I posted the odd comment or question for Wayne McCullough and he was great answered the question and put the comment up on Sky. I think Sky should try and get Wayne involved in there coverage of whatever fights they show from the US the man knows his stuff and is respected over there in the US by all the fighters. It may only be for the odd fight here and there but is better than nothing.
leighton is offline  Top
Old 09-04-2009, 06:45 AM   #6
Losfer_Words
★★★ 2 TONE EXPRESS ★★★
East Side Guru

'It's all very well campaigning for boxing to return to the BBC, but Sky have shown a huge commitment to the sport since the early nineties, and remain the only British television channel to regularly broadcast UK and US boxing.'

Interesting take on the situation by someone employed by Sky. So continually setting up mismatches and charging unscrupulous amounts of money for cards that aren't worthy of PPV show 'commitment' to the sport, does it? The farce that was the televised portion of the Kotelnik-Khan undercard was not too long ago either, Adam.

Let's face facts, we all pay a subscription for a service- to charge PPV on top of that is a disgrace, IMO. In doing so, Sky is alienating it's current fanbase and putting off a potential future fanbase as well. During Setanta's reign as the best boxing outlet on UK TV, Sky's boxing coverage looked miserable in comparison. Claiming that Sky is now 'the only British television channel to regularly broadcast UK and US boxing' is a moot point when you consider that your major rival is no more! That's a major piece of spin right there; it would be like someone claiming they are the best looking person in their house when they are the only person that lives there.

Granted, we have PBF-JMM to look forward to soon, thankfully not on PPV, I'll add, but the point is that Sky's 'commitment' is pretty dire when you consider how good it could be, Adam.

The 'Super Six Boxing Classic' STILL doesn't have a platform, Setanta's old Sauerland and Top Rank contracts STILL haven't been snapped up either. There is no better time to show Sky's 'commitment' to boxing than now, IMO.

Cheers, Adam.

Just sent that in as well. Let's see if we all get replies.
Losfer_Words is offline  Top
Old 09-04-2009, 06:57 AM   #7
Lee Mc
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 172

Dear Mr Leighton,

Thank you for your comments.

May I suggest that you take a look back at your collection of Boxing News to ascertain what international fights Sky showed during the brief existance of Setanta? Where did you see Mayweather vs De La Hoya, Pacquiao vs De La Hoya or Mosely vs Mayorga? Likewise, re-read the issues in the few years preceeding the brief existance of Setanta and you will see that Sky's coverage of international boxing was so good that in the space of a fortnight we offered you Taylor vs Spinks and Wright vs Quartey. Go back a tiny bit further and you will discover that on the SAME NIGHT, Sky showed Cotto vs Mallignaggi AND Tarver vs Hopkins...

Have you, Mr Leighton, noticed how Setanta no longer exist and Sky do? That may have something to do with the fact that Sky brought you the best in boxing at a sensible price and Setanta paid what some people believe to be around 75% more than the market value. Sky showed conclusive boxing action before the brief existance of Setanta and will, once again, cover the sport conclusivly now they are gone. However, surely you don't expect us to financially ruin ourselves to complete with idiots like Setanta who had no business sense?
Lee Mc is offline  Top
Old 09-04-2009, 07:00 AM   #8
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP

Mayweather vs De La Hoya
Mayorga vs Mosley
De La Hoya vs Forbes
Berto vs Forbes

Setanta on the other hand.....

Cotto vs Margarito
Pacquiao vs Marquez
Marquez vs Diaz
Mosley vs Margarito

4-0 Setanta

Setanta (RIP) KO 1 Sky
Old 09-04-2009, 07:04 AM   #9
Dan684
Dave's Stepdad
East Side Guru

Who is Lee Mc ??????
Dan684 is offline  Top
Old 09-04-2009, 07:20 AM   #10
theuppercut
Blackpudding supper
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighton View Post
On Adam Smith blog he goes on about the Sky boxing coverage. Here is the comment I left I wont hold my breath. Below is the comment I left. More fight fans should do the same on his blog.

Sky have taken a back seat on there boxing coverage for some time. When Setanta was about they only showed local fights and the odd PPV of Hatton and Khan. Sky are a joke for this sport to get back to the glory days Sky need to get the finger out. You slag off bbc for not showing boxing but they havn't shown a fight since the Harrison days. Sky have been front runners from then on but has let the standards slip. You rip the fans off with your PPVs for average cards not worthy of a PPV fee. I do wonder if Setanta was still about would you even be interested in those big fights. You dont back the promotions that are worthy to back instead you go with the reliable ****** and Maloney fighters. Get Haymaker fights on and make sure you have Frochs fights in the Super 6 on Sky Sports to show you are serious about boxing. Boxing is dying on tv and with Sky being the only station showing fights at the moment it isn't getting any better any time soon.

I left a comment too but it ain't been posted. I simply said that boxing fans deserve some sort of announcement as to whether or not Sky are in talks regarding the Super 6.
theuppercut is offline  Top
Old 09-04-2009, 07:27 AM   #11
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeston Brawler View Post
Mayweather vs De La Hoya
Mayorga vs Mosley
De La Hoya vs Forbes
Berto vs Forbes

Setanta on the other hand.....

Cotto vs Margarito
Pacquiao vs Marquez
Marquez vs Diaz
Mosley vs Margarito

4-0 Setanta

Setanta (RIP) KO 1 Sky
To be fair BB, the top 2 Sky fights were 'must see' amongst boxing fans just that turned out to be poor fights. The bottom 2 always looked like bing poor...
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 09-04-2009, 07:45 AM   #12
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP

Yeah, DLH vs Floyd was a must see, it had all the makings of a great fight but was poor - I will let them have that one.

Have to disagree on Mosley vs Mayorga though - it was Mosley's comeback fight against a guy that has generally been used as cannon fodder for top class fighters - Forrest (RIP) excepted, he had also been battered by DLH approx 2yrs previous and had only edged out a fat, faded Vargas in that timeframe.

Must hear maybe, for the pre-fight rent-a-quote, but not must see I'm afraid.

Each to their own of course
Old 09-04-2009, 07:47 AM   #13
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

I thought EVRYONE liked watching Mad Mayorga fight?
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 09-04-2009, 07:47 AM   #14
leighton
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Mc View Post
Dear Mr Leighton,

Thank you for your comments.

May I suggest that you take a look back at your collection of Boxing News to ascertain what international fights Sky showed during the brief existance of Setanta? Where did you see Mayweather vs De La Hoya, Pacquiao vs De La Hoya or Mosely vs Mayorga? Likewise, re-read the issues in the few years preceeding the brief existance of Setanta and you will see that Sky's coverage of international boxing was so good that in the space of a fortnight we offered you Taylor vs Spinks and Wright vs Quartey. Go back a tiny bit further and you will discover that on the SAME NIGHT, Sky showed Cotto vs Mallignaggi AND Tarver vs Hopkins...

Have you, Mr Leighton, noticed how Setanta no longer exist and Sky do? That may have something to do with the fact that Sky brought you the best in boxing at a sensible price and Setanta paid what some people believe to be around 75% more than the market value. Sky showed conclusive boxing action before the brief existance of Setanta and will, once again, cover the sport conclusivly now they are gone. However, surely you don't expect us to financially ruin ourselves to complete with idiots like Setanta who had no business sense?
The reason why Setanta dont exist these days is they paid over the odds for the football deals they done with the FA and Priemier League. All the other sports they wouldn't have spent as much combined compared to all there football deals.

Sky do what they always do best keep ****** fighters happy and since they resigned ****** they have little or no big fights from the US. If they do it is as part of a Khan or Hatton PPV. Sky has forgoten all about boxing for years you would of thought when Setanta was about that Sky would get more better quaility fights because they are covering boxing years but no they got **** all. That alone shows they gave up on boxing.
leighton is offline  Top
Old 09-04-2009, 07:59 AM   #15
Lee Mc
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 172

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan684 View Post
Who is Lee Mc ??????
What do you need to know about me?

I've never hid behind some user name. My name is Lee McCloskey and I don't work for Sky. I just hate the way that Setanta developed a cult status during their brief existance despite the fact that their modus operandi was to purchase as much sport as possible, whatever the cost, to force people into subscribing to them. Do you REALLY think that they REALLY cared about the viewers?

Even the Steve Bunce boxing hour, which was nothing more than a slot filler, has inherited a cult following and status it didn't deserve. If it was that good, or successful, why is Steve Bunce touring clubs and pubs despite "the success" of the "Bring back Bunce" campaign? All those famous boxing personalities jumping on the bandwaggon (though how many of them REALLY cared about the demise) and still no network wanted it...

Setanta was all smoke and mirrors and I am glad of their demise. Sky has always been good for boxing coverage and will be once again.
Lee Mc is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum