Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2009, 08:38 AM   #16
icemax
Indian Red
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Yorkshire
Posts: 13,617
vCash: 664
Default Re: In hindsight, Khan’s record is impressive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike464 View Post
I like this. Whatever you think about the Limmond fight, the Barrera fight was clearly a no-contest. It was one of the most disgraceful things I've seen in a boxing ring.
The cut stopped Barrera getting a real beating and embarrasing himself
icemax is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-2009, 08:43 AM   #17
Leather_Face
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 157
vCash: 1000
Default Re: In hindsight, Khan’s record is impressive

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbyDubby View Post
Why are you mentioning the WBU title as if it means something. The EBU Southern Area of London Title means more than that manufactured shit. Secondly, Khan was beaten by Limmond, unless we get 13-14 counts nowadays. Thirdly, Khan vs MAB should be a NC.
Fourthly, Khan is a fraud and will be exposed very soon, it's just a matter of time. The guy is a walking time bomb waiting to be exposed as the Fraud he is. A Mere Con's opposition has been average at best and he has still lost twice to non hopers.
How can the European Boxing Union have a Southern area of London title? Are you trying to belittle the EBU or the Area titles?

I mentioned WBU because alphabet or not it was a belt good enough for Ricky Hatton for several years
Leather_Face is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 08:53 AM   #18
Darni187
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: London U.K
Posts: 6,086
vCash: 75
Default Re: In hindsight, Khan’s record is impressive

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-MAC View Post
Ah, Darni got himself an alias, how sweet
Darni187 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 08:57 AM   #19
D-MAC
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Belfast, NI.
Posts: 7,653
vCash: 75
Default Re: In hindsight, Khan’s record is impressive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darni187 View Post
You know it
D-MAC is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 09:04 AM   #20
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: The Spion Kop
Posts: 30,799
vCash: 1000
Default Re: In hindsight, Khan’s record is impressive

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemax View Post
The cut stopped Barrera getting a real beating and embarrasing himself
correct.
GazOC is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 09:12 AM   #21
ishy
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Yorkshire
Posts: 22,626
vCash: 500
Default Re: In hindsight, Khan’s record is impressive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leather_Face View Post
How can the European Boxing Union have a Southern area of London title? Are you trying to belittle the EBU or the Area titles?

I mentioned WBU because alphabet or not it was a belt good enough for Ricky Hatton for several years
Stop glorifying the WBU!
ishy is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 09:15 AM   #22
SouthpawSlayer
Im coming for you
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Gay St Pierre
Posts: 8,187
vCash: 75
Default Re: In hindsight, Khan’s record is impressive

khans resume is far from impressive, he has beat kotelnik but that does not make his record impressive, his resume is extremely patchy
SouthpawSlayer is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 09:36 AM   #23
mughalmirza786
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 2,175
vCash: 1000
Default Re: In hindsight, Khan’s record is impressive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfer_Words View Post
I agree that he gets a lot of undeserved stick but the fact that former foes have gone on to win the prestigious WBU 'title' doesn't mean too much, IMO. People can pick holes in his record but the Kotelnik win was very impressive. Funny how all of a sudden Kotelnik is a mug since Khan has beaten him, though.
Indeed that win is being overlooked and ignored more and more. Kotelnik was almost completely shut out against khan and from the post fight interview you could tell he was shocked at what had happened. This was the same kotelnik that fought very close fights with maidana and witter and had mixed in decent company.
mughalmirza786 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 09:47 AM   #24
trotter
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,382
vCash: 1000
Default Re: In hindsight, Khan’s record is impressive

I agree, for a 21 or so fight kid he has fought a very good level of oppo

Anyone who disagrees, please point me in the direction of someone of a similar age/experience with a better record - the way people talk they must be two a penny


Of course Khan's hype train doesn't quite match the reality, and it certainly didn't half a dozen fights ago, but take away all that and he's done very well - by any measure he's got to be considered a top prospect

Can't help but think we're harsh on him, look at the hype someone like Ortiz had, if he'd shown half the balls Khan has he'd still be touted as a future great

I've nothing but respect for what Khan's done since his loss
trotter is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 10:04 AM   #25
Raashid
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 239
vCash: 1000
Default Re: In hindsight, Khan’s record is impressive

It's impressive compared to a typical British prospect, but not compared to other one-time Olympians. Look at how soon De la Hoya was fighting world class opponents after the Barcelona Olympics
Raashid is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 10:15 AM   #26
Mazallan
ESB yes man
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Tempted by the fruit of another...tempted that the truth is discovered..
Posts: 3,762
vCash: 1841
Default Re: In hindsight, Khan’s record is impressive

Khan is the greatest fighter of his generation and the most impressive British fighter for over 20 years.
Mazallan is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 10:16 AM   #27
The Bang Benang
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 287
vCash: 1000
Default Re: In hindsight, Khan’s record is impressive

Id like to make a point, i notice how many big John Murray up and hate on Amir Khan, but let me ask you, in Murrays 23rd fight he was still fighting either top journeymen or low level domestic fighters, he faced a 4-8-1 Al Hamidi in his 23rd fight while Khan fought ATLEAST a high european/fringe world class boxer in Kotelnik in his 22nd fight. So how come Khan gets critisized for his opposition? Hes had 22 fights for goodness sake and hes only 22, hes still learning!

Now look, lets exclude Khans first 15 fights:

Gary St Clair - A super featherweight in his heyday, but hes the type who fought anyone, anytime, a bit like Joshua Clottey, fighting whoever they gave him, He was IBF Superfeather Weight Champion and had given Diego Corrales a very tough fight, not to mention a solid chin. I rate this win Khans 2nd best after Kotelnik because St Clair really had a gameplan for Khan, to let Khan get comfortable in the first 4 then pressurize through the rest of the fight, and Khan still won every round.

Marco Antonio Barrera - As many know, Dave Parris let the fight go past 4 rounds in order to give Khan a technical decision, theres no surprise to this since Khan was the home fighter, but the fact is, i believe this would have just been a repeat of how St Clair and Kotelnik turned out, Khan moving, possibly getting a few scares in the late rounds due to the 135 suspect chin problem, he wasnt brilliantly healthy at the weight, but the fact is Khan would have overcome a brave Barrera and won a UD.

Andreas Kotelnik - Khans best win, Kotelnik showed alot of aggresstion at times and i thought that Khan would panic and fight on instinct under pressure but he didnt, he covered up and got out of there every time Kotelnik let loose a burst of attacks.

How will Khan do against a bomber like Maidaina? i dont know, the fact that Maidaina is always throwing may actually help Khan since he can simply dodge and counter with combinations, busting up Maidains face and possibally scoring a TKO due to too much facial damage.

Say what you want but Khan proved himself against 2 world level boxers in St Clair in his 16th fight and against Kotelnik in his 22nd, Khan has a chance at the big time, no matter what you say, he may suffer a loss or two again but i believe the guys got what it takes and is world level in terms of skill.
The Bang Benang is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 10:22 AM   #28
ishy
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Yorkshire
Posts: 22,626
vCash: 500
Default Re: In hindsight, Khan’s record is impressive

Murray fought Hamidi because Fewkes got injured. He was a last minute replacement.
ishy is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 10:26 AM   #29
Lewisbell
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,225
vCash: 1000
Default Re: In hindsight, Khan’s record is impressive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazallan View Post
Khan is the greatest fighter of his generation and the most impressive British fighter for over 20 years.
Someone hasn't seen Benn, Eubank, Lewis, Hamed or Calzaghe
Lewisbell is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 10:30 AM   #30
PrideOfWales
Winston Zedmore
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Newport Essex innit
Posts: 5,845
vCash: 75
Default Re: In hindsight, Khan’s record is impressive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishy View Post
Murray fought Hamidi because Fewkes got injured. He was a last minute replacement.
You're fighting a losing battle there mate.

Boxrec will never mention things like that.

It's the same with Tocker Pudwill.

(Although having just looked, it does mention that Pudwill was a late replacement for Ice Tea)
PrideOfWales is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013